Another great week at The Blue Angel Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

islanddream

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just got back on Saturday from another wonderful week staying and diving with The Blue Angel Resort. This is our second time back (spent last Thanksgiving there) and just booked another stay in April 2013....yes!

Accommodations: One of the reasons we enjoy staying at The BA is because all rooms face the water. Love the view! Also, although the rooms are a bit spartan, they are absolutely CLEAN. The floors are polished concrete which allows for us to rinse our gear in the shower and then hang everything out on the balcony while dripping water everywhere yet not causing any damage. We just take our towels and mop up the floor when finished. The rooms are large; there's lots of hot water; the air conditioning works well; the restaurant serves great food; and best of all....the employees are helpful and friendly. We feel like part of the Blue Angel family when staying there. A big plus this year was that we could get internet service in our room (3rd floor) and didn't have to go to the lobby to access the wireless. Nice improvement! I know some people complain about the street noise but it sure didn't bother us. We ran the air conditioner in the evening, closed the bathroom door (noise comes in from the window), and we had no problems sleeping. We also like having a small refrigerator in the room since we tend to stock up on pop and other goodies.

Diving: As stated, we arrived on Saturday (late afternoon) and were really excited to dive on Sunday. It didn't happen....a Norte blew in and closed the port for the entire day :depressed:. Oh well, Mother Nature had her way. We had a good time anyhow...wandered around town with our dive buddies....found a FABULOUS chocolate shop (on 3rd..I think)...and had a great dinner at Rolandi's. Other than Sunday, we dove everyday the rest of the trip.

We were lucky to have Captain Alberto and DM Jorge the entire trip. What a great team they make! We love that Jorge lets you dive your own dive; however, he expects you to monitor your air and use a safety sausage when ascending. We did two night dives and the one on Villablanca was fabulous! Spotted eels, many octopus, huge lobsters and crabs, etc. The day dives were excellent, too, however the water was chilly (for wussy me) when it was around 76 degrees....but I was happier when my computer read 82 degrees. Hence, the temps varied during the week and from dive site to dive site. What did we see: turtles, nurse sharks, eels, splendid toad fish, one reef shark (a lady on another boat saw two schools of about nine reef sharks each!), lots of pretty fish, huge groupers, etc. The visibility wasn't as good as last year but I expect it was because of the Norte. There was considerable wind last week and we were lucky to have only missed one day of diving.

Recommendation: For this time of year we really needed to have something WARM to put on during the surface interval and the boat ride back to the dock. Honestly, almost everyone who only brought a light jacket frozen! I had a polartec shirt and still was cold. Those who had the scuba boat coats were much better off than the rest of us. (BTW, we just ordered coats since we'll be going back next year at the same time.) During the SI, some people jumped back in the water to stay warm.

Another recommendation: Go to O'Hana's, which is owned by instructor Mateo (Chicago Matt) and his wife. They now serve Chicago style deep dish pizza and everyone who ordered it raved about it! My hubby likes thin crust and lots of ingredients in his pizza, and he wasn't disappointed! He ordered a small and ended up taking half of it back to the room and ate it the next day.

All good things must come to an end---someone said that---and our trip ended and we arrived back in the US safe and sound. The dive gear is cleaned and hanging on the Palo Verde tree in the backyard to dry. My hubby went back to work today and I go back tomorrow. Christmas is less than a month away. But the next trip to The Blue Angel is booked and I'm counting the days until April 5, 2013!

Safe diving!

islanddream

Thanks so much for the trip report. Glad you and your husband had a good time.
I love the BA for all the reasons you mentioned above.
Only problem I had while there is the water pressure on the 4th floor was low and hot water was not there on the weekends for some unknown reason.
The captain, "chango" and Jorge are good. So are Norman and Jose, Servando.
I like using the kayaks for a morning paddle and often borrow one of the DM's bike for a ride.
Did you get to do any shore diving or eat in the restaurant while there?
And you are already booked again in April, that's cool.

as usual...feeling homesick. :D

..thanks so much!!

Thanks so much for the trip report. Glad you and your husband had a good time.
I love the BA for all the reasons you mentioned above.
Only problem I had while there is the water pressure on the 4th floor was low and hot water was not there on the weekends for some unknown reason.
The captain, "chango" and Jorge are good. So are Norman and Jose, Servando.
I like using the kayaks for a morning paddle and often borrow one of the DM's bike for a ride.
Did you get to do any shore diving or eat in the restaurant while there?
And you are already booked again in April, that's cool.

We didn't do any shore dives but plan on doing them in April. I believe we were thinking about getting back into wet wetsuits and it wasn't a pleasant thought! Truly, it was noticeable cooler this Thanksgiving week than last year at the same time, plus there was a lot of wind. We did eat in the restaurant because we were still under the old "meal plan" since we'd booked our trip prior to the policy change. Everything was good. I love how you can get a meal that's not listed on the menu. As Sergio says "just ask and we'll get it for you." What a great reply!

Only 18 weeks until we're back!

I am martin from blue angel resort, thanks for your report,always is a pleasure to serve you,we see you back in april, i wish you a great day.

Wish I was on the meal plan, but missed out. Ate lunch there each day, something different each day and always asked "what you feel like making" and they will do it for you.
I really enjoy the shore diving there. Free tanks, easy entry and exit, showers and rinse tanks close by with lockers.
I went out almost every afternoon/early evening and made my way around the sting ray prison and on up towards villablanca hotel pier. Although the underwater topography is no where near in comparason to the offshore reefs, there are lots of critters to be seen and several coral heads with lots of activity as you make your way up towards villablanca hotel, then turn around and just drift back. Great BT also as it is shallow maybe 18-23'. I brought a hawaiian sling and got one or two lionfish each day.
Oh and I forgot to mention Martin from the diveshop. Very helpful.
Gosh now you got me planning a trip back in April/May.

I am martin from blue angel resort, thanks for your report,always is a pleasure to serve you,we see you back in april, i wish you a great day.

Hey Martin....I miss you guys! Thanks for making our trip so enjoyable. You're doing an AWESOME job running the dive shop! Thanks for accommodating our requests for boat/DM while there so we could be with our dive buddies all week. We had a blast! We can't wait to see you again in April. Until then...keep up the great work! And please tell Jorge and Alberto HI from me!

---------- Post added November 27th, 2012 at 03:12 PM ----------

Wish I was on the meal plan, but missed out. Ate lunch there each day, something different each day and always asked "what you feel like making" and they will do it for you.
I really enjoy the shore diving there. Free tanks, easy entry and exit, showers and rinse tanks close by with lockers.
I went out almost every afternoon/early evening and made my way around the sting ray prison and on up towards villablanca hotel pier. Although the underwater topography is no where near in comparason to the offshore reefs, there are lots of critters to be seen and several coral heads with lots of activity as you make your way up towards villablanca hotel, then turn around and just drift back. Great BT also as it is shallow maybe 18-23'. I brought a hawaiian sling and got one or two lionfish each day.
Oh and I forgot to mention Martin from the diveshop. Very helpful.
Gosh now you got me planning a trip back in April/May.

I got a camera for my b-day and used it twice on the trip. I've never taken underwater photos so most of them didn't do the scenery any justice. I need to do more reading up on settings, filters, etc. I hope by the time we're back there in April I'll be able to take decent pics. And I'll definitely do shore diving to practice not only my dive skills but also my photo skills (hopefully I'll have some by then :confused:). Hey, plan an April trip when we're there...it'd be fun to meet another SB'er.

Missed being there with you guys this year! Martin, see you in March!! Hopefully no kidney stones this year!! Thanks for the report!!

Missed being there with you guys this year! Martin, see you in March!! Hopefully no kidney stones this year!! Thanks for the report!!

We missed you, too, and your daughter! All went really well and we loved our Aeris computers. No long hangs this time...whew!

Those sharks were great! And it was fun meeting you and my other new Blue Angel buddies. I've decided I need to come back with a camera next year. I bought myself a dive computer and regulator yesterday, and plan to do an underwater photography course in January or February. I'm looking forward to hanging out at Mateo's again. (The box of chocolate truffles made it home, barely. I had a couple left anyway!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom