Allegro Cozumel Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering going to Coz with my girlfriend (a non-diver) and want to do a bit of diving and snorkeling and a lot of swimming in clear, warm ocean water and sitting around on a nice beach.

I've read a bunch of reviews on this very affordable all-inclusive resort and was wondering what experiences people here have had (I did a search here and read through those reviews, too).

Specifically I'm worried about the rooms being too close to the water treatment plant and how to avoid that area of the property.

What dive shops would you recommend going out with and do they pick up from this resort or am I pretty much stuck with the local shop at the resort since I won't have a car?

The Occidental Allegro literature vaguely says something about SCUBA lessons being included, which might be of interest to my girlfriend. Is this true or do they just nail you on checkout dives?

Melia-3 yrs ago, Iberostar-2 yrs ago, Allegro-1 yr ago. IMO Iberostar had the best accomodations, but Allegro had the best beach by far. The water in front of Allegro was always clear about 20 yards out and it always had fish and critters to see. I snorkled everyday. Not the case at Melia or Iberostar. My wife was not as fond of Allegro because of the accomodations...and an incident with a cockroach. I dove through the Funjet rep. at Melia and Allegro (Black Shark and Dive with Martin). I had really good diving with them and good packages. Small boats and good DM's. I would not dive through a resort again, as I did at Iberostar, because of the cattle boat situation. IME the food at AI's is never anything to write home about. I have never had anything close to bad time in Coz and we are going back in March. It all depends on what you expect and are looking for. Hope that helps. Have fun!

Oh...I forgot about the smell! All places have areas where it is present, and on somedays it may be unavoidable anywhere. You really do build a somewhat of a tolerance to it. I remember getting off the plane the first time there and I turned to my party and asked the obvious question...who $!^# their pants? It goes away, and if you find yourself in a bad area just ask for a room change. Should not be too much of a problem.

hey there,
I was at the Allegro over thanksgiving- Honestly, the smell is not that bad- kinda smells a little sulpherous is all. The rooms really didn't smell- just outside at certain times- oh and we were at the back nearby.
The rooms can be noisy though- they are tiki hut style with open dividers between rooms- bring some ear plugs- or try the ground floor instead.
The snorkelling off shore is OK- but not wonderful. If snorkelling from shore is a priority, I would go nearer to town as they have better there. It was OK, just nothing special. Of course your girlfriend can always get a snorkel trip on a boat.
the beach is really nice, with good sports and nice sand.
The dive lessons are completely free, they don't certify you to go out alone, but it is good for a taster, and you get certified to go with a DM. They do them evry day in the pool.
I would not use Dive Palancar on resort- not good IMHO- and most other ops will pick you up from the dock anyway.

Overall the resort is good for a bargain- there isn't much 'life' for young people though- my hubby and I closed out the bar everynight by about 10.30. But it can be romantic on the beach at night with nice free cocktails!!! And you can walk along the beach to private spots. Where ever you choose to go, I am sure you will have fun.

I'm a big fan of the Allegro. My next trip will be in 17 days (but who's counting, right ?)

If you would like more info from me, just drop me an email. But here are a few answers to you questions:

I am considering going to Coz with my girlfriend (a non-diver) and want to do a bit of diving and snorkeling and a lot of swimming in clear, warm ocean water and sitting around on a nice beach.

Great beach, clear water, fun to swim in. I dove last trip a little, will dive a lot more this time. But the snorkeling is okay.

I've read a bunch of reviews on this very affordable all-inclusive resort and was wondering what experiences people here have had (I did a search here and read through those reviews, too).

Specifically I'm worried about the rooms being too close to the water treatment plant and how to avoid that area of the property.

Not really an issue. When you arrive, ask to walk the site for a few minutes. Then go back to the desk and request the room you want. Best way to be in the location that you want.

What dive shops would you recommend going out with and do they pick up from this resort or am I pretty much stuck with the local shop at the resort since I won't have a car?

You can be picked up at the Allegro dock by most dive shops. But I use Dive Palancar, the on-site op, and enjoy them. All my dives last trip were on 6-packs, except for one night dive, where we all took one boat (11 ppl total)

The Occidental Allegro literature vaguely says something about SCUBA lessons being included, which might be of interest to my girlfriend. Is this true or do they just nail you on checkout dives?

As munkispank said, the pool dives are a fun activity to get you interested. Then you can pay for the course.

If you need any other info, let me know.

w.w.t.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom