Shark Attacks in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatree

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Not to alarm anyone but in honor of shark week, my "shark week" addicted husband was researching shark attacks and found 3 recorded fatal attacks on divers in Cozumel. One was on June 11, 1993 when a 42 year old Dallas female was killed on Santa Rosa Shallows. The other 2 were on the same day, August 15, 1997 when a 33 year old and a 28 year old male diver, both from North Carolina, were both killed while diving Santa Rosa. All 3 incidents were reported to be Tiger Shark attacks. The 2 men killed on Santa Rosa were reported as an attack by a 17' Tiger. Source of information for these attacks is How to search GSAF data.

My question is does anyone have any "better" information on these documented attacks? We have been diving Cozumel since 1981 and other than Nurse Sharks, I saw a couple of Blacktips while diving but did not get a photo. On shark week the other night they interviewed the Canadian woman who was attacked in Cancun a while back. The attack was though to be by a Bull Shark yet the lady said she thought it was a Tiger.

With the millions of divers in Cozumel over the years, ones chances of winning the lotto is better than a shark attack. I just thought this was interesting and besides, I'll bet the title got everyone's attention.
:sharkattack:

I'm a shark fanatic, too. I did some research in the past and never really came up with much in Cozumel. I know there have been fatalities in playa/cancun area from bull attacks.

I did find this on another message board. I don't know how credibile it is, but it does talk about the woman from Dallas who was on a night dive on Santa Rosa wall and was killed by what they believed to be a tiger shark. Although it did state some locals thought she might have been hit by a boat and the shark attack came after death. Who knows? I would love to hear more info on these 3 incidents.

Has anyone ever heard of any shark attacks in the cozumel? - Cozumel Forum - TripAdvisor

I don't see why there couldn't be a tigers or bulls in the area. I don't think they are common near the reef, or they would be seen more, but they can definitely be there. Santa Rosa is a deeper dive, so seeing a tiger or bull there is probably more likely than a shallow reef. I normally float on the surface on my back... I think I will stop doing that. :)

I am very much aware of the 1963 attack but I never have heard anything about the other two you mention. It is well documented though there still is debate over prop vs shark. Do you have a link to the other two instances?

Augustus, I found this newspaper archived article about the 1993 shark attack. The can click on the "how to search GSAF data" and access the Global Shark Attacks records. They are quite interesting.

THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS, June 15, 1993

June 15, 1993, Tuesday, HOME FINAL EDITION

SECTION: NEWS; Pg. 1A

LENGTH: 861 words

HEADLINE: Allen woman dies in possible shark attack Body of youth corps
official found at Mexican resort after she disappeared during dive

BYLINE: Todd J. Gillman, Staff Writer of The Dallas Morning News

BODY:
Mary Eggemeyer, head of the Dallas Youth Services Corps, died in a possible
shark attack last week during a diving trip to Mexico.

Ms. Eggemeyer, 42, of Allen disappeared during a night dive Friday 200 meters
offshore at Cozumel, a resort island south of Cancun. Her mutilated body washed
onto a beach Saturday.

If confirmed as a shark attack, it would be the first at Cozumel since
record-keeping began this century. The area is popular with divers, and shark
sightings are rare.
"No one saw a shark. The only indication we have of a shark is the
nature of the wounds,' said Bryan Wilson, a spokesman for the Cozumel mayor.

"It's a real tragedy, and it's not anything that any of us ever imagined in
our worst nightmare,' said Hugh Robinson, chairman of the services corps, which
teaches job skills to young adults. "We will obviously continue on. We would
not do any less because that's what Mary would want.'

Ms. Eggemeyer was on the weeklong trip with six students and five parents and
teachers of the Winston School, where one of her three children was a student.
She is a former board member of the Dallas school, which serves 150 students
with dyslexia and attention-deficit disorder.

The trip was not officially sanctioned but has become an annual ritual, said
Rita Sherbenou, head of the Winston School. "We're a very close group of
people,' Dr. Sherbenou said. "It's so tragic. She was such a dynamic woman
that has given so much to the Dallas community.'

Ms. Eggemeyer and the others in her group, along with an American instructor
and a local guide, were making their second dive at a popular site known as
Santa Rosa Shallows, where divers descend to a sandy shelf.

The excursion started about 6 p.m. Friday. Ms. Eggemeyer disappeared in the
dark about 7:30 p.m.

"The dive plan was to go to a depth of 60 feet for 40 minutes,' Mr. Wilson
said.

Ms. Eggemeyer was the last diver to enter the water. By then, she had
drifted slightly past the ledge, where the sea floor drops off.

The American instructor reported that -- as he returned another wayward diver
to the boat -- he saw Ms. Eggemeyer swimming without difficulty back to the
ledge.

But within moments, Mr. Wilson said, "The local dive guide came to surface
saying he saw a dive light going over the ledge very fast.'

After a head count found Ms. Eggemeyer missing, eight vessels in the area
joined a search that continued until early the next morning.

"Mary was an experienced diver. She had been to Cozumel five times, and this
was her fourth dive on this trip,' Mr. Wilson said.

Her remains were found floating near a beach Saturday morning about 8:30, Mr.
Wilson said.

"Her body had been mutilated, both legs cut off at the buttocks area. The
left arm was missing, and there was severe damage to the abdominal cavity,' he
said.

The local coroner "believes that a large predator was involved.' Funeral
arrangements are pending an autopsy in Mexico.

It was "very likely' a shark, said George Burgess, a senior biologist at
the Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville and director of the
International Shark Attack File, which documents shark attacks worldwide,
dating to the 1700s.

Mr. Burgess will be in Cozumel on Tuesday to help Mexican authorities.

Mayor German Garcia Padilla has ordered temporary suspension of night dives
but has not closed the beaches, Mr. Wilson said.

The Mexican navy and local dive operators have been patrolling a stretch of
beach on the west side of the island.
Along with police and sailors on shore, they are warning bathers to stay
within 50 meters of land.

The hunt involving five boats with experienced Mexican shark fishermen
aboard will center on the Santa Rosa Shallows.

"According to the experts, if he's fed there once, he'll probably come back
and feed there again,' Mr. Wilson said.

"Our intention is not to go out and start slaughtering sharks wholesale,'
he said. "We're looking for one particular shark.'

Because shark sightings are extremely rare in those waters, "it is a
logical assumption' that any shark in the area is a killer, he said.

Mr. Burgess dismissed the theory raised after some recent attacks in
Australia that population pressures are forcing sharks closer to shore than
usual.

" Shark attacks are a natural phenomenon that occur irregularly,' he said.

Officials in Cozumel, which has 60,000 full-time residents and 3,500 hotel
beds, said they want to investigate swiftly to quell tourists' fears.

Ed Fjordbak, president of the Communities Foundation of Texas, where Ms.
Eggemeyer worked until the youth corps was formed three years ago, said Ms.
Eggemeyer left a substantial legacy.

"Through this project, several hundred kids now have jobs and opportunities.
. . . It's a great loss to the community.'

The corps helps inner-city youths ages 18 to 23. The youths construct trails
through city parks or rehabilitate buildings for use by seniors, the disabled or
other service groups.

"Mary lived her life by that,' said a longtime friend and colleague, Kimberly
Floyd. "She's really carried the baton in our community for young people who
fell through the cracks.'

GRAPHIC: PHOTO(S): Mary Eggemeyer . . . disappeared while diving Friday. MAP(S):
POSSIBLE shark attack. (DMN)

I e-mailed George Burgess on the incident. He was asked to investigate and I asked him what his finding were and what species was involved if it was a shark attack. I know he's busy, but I hope he gets back with me. I will let you know what he says.

---------- Post added August 9th, 2013 at 10:20 PM ----------

Okay, I did some more digging. Now I wish I hadn't bothered George with an e-mail. Anyway, I found an old article where he said a shark definitely bit her, but it was hard to tell if it happened before or after her death. He said tiger sharks feed near the Santa Rosa Shallows at night. He said he thought it was a 10 foot tiger shark that weighed around 500 lbs. You can zoom in and out of the artilce on the right with the magnifying glass.

The Victoria Advocate - Google News Archive Search

The attack with the lady from Dallas was big news when it happened. The shark expert from the US came down and the official verdict was a tiger shark. Locally there was and is much talk that she was hit by a boat and the shark came later. It was a night dive on Santa Rosa. The other two "attacks" are a bit more confusing for me. An article found via google talks about the divers trying to do a record dive to 500 feet on air and the attack occurring doing this. Very confusing and I have no real info on this nor do I remember any real talk around the island when it occurred. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.scuba/UPRiAmz2iII

Sharks rarely attack live people... it is too much work. They are really lazy and want their food either near death due to injury or already dead. Most likely she was hit by a propeller, which made her bleed and most like die quickly, then her body unfortunately became fishfood. Sad. Sorry, but that is just how I see it.

Because shark sightings are extremely rare in those waters, "it is a logical assumption' that any shark in the area is a killer, he said.

Huh??

I think the person meant that if you have a fatal shark attack in an area where sightings of the potential 'man-eater' species are rare, then if you see one in the area shortly after (say, a big tiger shark), there's a good chance it's the one that killed the person.

I'm not saying that's right, or presuming to guess the odds that it is, but I think that's the logic behind the statement.

Richard.

Huh??[/FONT][/COLOR]

I'm guessing the thought is there are very few tiger sharks in the area. If they find a tiger in the area then it is the likely culprit since there aren't many tiger sharks. I think that's a bit of a reach, though.

---------- Post added August 10th, 2013 at 10:13 AM ----------

The attack with the lady from Dallas was big news when it happened. The shark expert from the US came down and the official verdict was a tiger shark. Locally there was and is much talk that she was hit by a boat and the shark came later. It was a night dive on Santa Rosa. The other two "attacks" are a bit more confusing for me. An article found via google talks about the divers trying to do a record dive to 500 feet on air and the attack occurring doing this. Very confusing and I have no real info on this nor do I remember any real talk around the island when it occurred. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.scuba/UPRiAmz2iII

When you dive to 500 feet on "air" then anything could have happen and probably did. Breathing toxic oxygen and having narcosis at the same time. He could have blacked out and drowned and the "shark attack" could have come after his death. They said they never recovered the other guy.

The lady from Dallas could have gotten lost or who knows what could have happened on a night dive while she was by herself. Again, she could have drowned by running out of air. Imagine if her dive light and gone out and she got disoriented and panicked. Again, no one knows, but a shark could have then scavanged on her. I don't think there's proof that a shark has still ever attacked a live human in Cozumel. However, I will say, I didn't know there were any tigers in the area. I only thought there were bull sharks near playa/cancun area and I know they migrate there and rumored to only be there in the winter. Then again, the tigers may just hang out primarily in the channel and be there rarely, too.

Back
Top Bottom