Scuba Mau dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arsalan Ahmed

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi

So I've been looking through multiple dive centers in Cozumel. Noticed just about every dive center I've seen to be rated very high. However, one thing I noticed was how much cheaper Scuba Mau was to some of the other dive centers. I don't own my own equipment. Their rentals are at 12 bucks a day compared to 25-40 bucks i've seen with others. Their prices are also consistently 10-20% lower for the dives (e.g. 210 dollars for 6 dives vs. 250 with other operators).

So I wanted to know from you guys if there was a catch? Any reason why they can afford to be cheaper? Would you guys recommend going with them? We were sort of on a budget so their pricing looked very attractive.

I have never used Scuba Mau but Dive with Martin has free gear rental if that helps you.

Home Page

We have been diving with Mau for years. It's the real deal, no catch. We don't need it but his rental gear looks good. It is a small shop focuses on safety & personal service. There are so many good ops on the island but we prefer Mau. You're welcome to pm me if you have any questions.

Thanks. Do you know any reason why they would be priced much cheaper than the rest?
210 dollars for 6 dives = 3 trips? Some are cheaper, some charge more. Mau is a likable guy and a good DM - seemingly no frills with low overhead and expenses. His business has changed a few times in recent years, but I'd dive with him.

Since you don't own equipment, you may be a new diver - and want to hire a private DM the first day, in addition to the one who leads the group.

It is a small shop focuses on safety

Is this a different Scuba Mau dive shop than the one that had a boat sink two years ago?

Is this a different Scuba Mau dive shop than the one that had a boat sink two years ago?
Yes and no. I think he had hired that boat that day.

Yes and no. I think he had hired that boat that day.

Ah, so he was duped as well? Can't really hold that against him.

---------- Post added February 13th, 2014 at 02:56 PM ----------

Thanks. Do you know any reason why they would be priced much cheaper than the rest?

Once you add equipment in, he's about mid-level from what I researched.

I have about 20 dives. Usually with a dive master that looks after about 5 or 6 people.

Any other dive shops around the same price and caliber? Thanks

Dive with Martin is very inexpensive and has lots of good reviews.
Scuba with Alison is in the same range if you need rental gear. I PMed you about her.

Needing rental gear really bumps the price up with a lot of places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom