First time photos from march trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PARADISE HUNTER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is a link to the photos from my March trip. It was my first time using an u.w. camera and I have a lot of room for improvement. It was still a lot of fun and I learned a lot from the trip. I'm looing forward to more trips and more practice.

I might also have some of the titles wrong on them, so if you view one that is incorrectly labeled, please let me know.

Cozumel MX March 2014 Photos by CookPhotos | Photobucket

PH

Tassled nudibranch? Nice shot of the arrow crab too.

Like the photos especially the seahorse. Many years ago we found a yellow and black seahorse and 2-3 of us took photos (film then) and not one photo came out for any of us. Every one was a completely black negative. Haunted seahorse?
Depending on your camera and strobes, try to limit the light - Strobe power or exposure to control over exposure especially the closer shots. Good blues, general color and clarity on the landscape shots. If the camera has any white balance settings, check into those - the colors will be more true especially the close up shots. I admit I use some post editing for color and white balance and works best if there is a RAW image to edit.

Tassled nudibranch? Nice shot of the arrow crab too.

I have no idea. I went to this website to try and look it up and couldn't find it:Caribbean Reefs - Nudibranchs - Show all. There are a lot of them! Very colorful for a slug.

---------- Post added April 18th, 2014 at 01:37 PM ----------

Depending on your camera and strobes, try to limit the light - Strobe power or exposure to control over exposure especially the closer shots. Good blues, general color and clarity on the landscape shots. If the camera has any white balance settings, check into those - the colors will be more true especially the close up shots. I admit I use some post editing for color and white balance and works best if there is a RAW image to edit.

Thanks for the comments. Mostly I was shooting in AV mode, with auto WB, RAW and had the stobe set to TTL. I was trying limit the number of decisions I had to make while playing with different F Stops and strobe placement.

Admittedly I was fighting my own oversights on a couple of the dives. The first dive I forgot to assemble the sink cord, so I had no external light. Later in the week I thought I had swapped out my camera battery, but hadn't and by the second dive it was dead. Some of the schooling fish shots that are off in color were very blue and I attempted to salvage them in Lightroom.

Even with less current, it was difficult to get the time needed to have the fish relax and come out of the reef after my initial approach.

I learned a lot and had a lot of fun.

PH

Nice pics for 1st time taking....Only thing I'd do right now is get over to flickr.com & use them as my hosting site......Pictures turn out 1 to 1 pixals when uploading from a editing site ie clearer....I know, I used photobucket for 5 or 6 years & found out about flickr a couple years ago---much more satisfied with it.......

EDIT:.& I realize there are other sites like flickr, it's the one I'm familiar with.......

Very nice; especially for first time. What is your set-up?

Thanks Betty. I'm shooting a Canon G15 in a Nauticam housing with a single YS01 strobe by Sea and Sea.

---------- Post added April 20th, 2014 at 02:20 PM ----------

Anne Dupont says, Bornella calcarata (Morch, 1863) for your nudie. Great find.

Thanks jlyle.

---------- Post added April 20th, 2014 at 02:22 PM ----------

Nice pics for 1st time taking....Only thing I'd do right now is get over to flickr.com & use them as my hosting site......Pictures turn out 1 to 1 pixals when uploading from a editing site ie clearer....I know, I used photobucket for 5 or 6 years & found out about flickr a couple years ago---much more satisfied with it.......

EDIT:.& I realize there are other sites like flickr, it's the one I'm familiar with.......

Thanks for the tip. I looked at using Flickr, but it required a Yahoo email and I was trying to avoid creating yet another email account. I will look at them again though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom