Nurse Shark Attack!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cvchief

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Let the speculation begin:
Impacto Cozumel: Tiburón "gata" ataca a bañista en Cozumel.

[h=2]Friday, April 18, 2014[/h][h=3]Shark "gata" attacks swimmer in Cozumel.[/h]

Tourist was attacked by a shark "gata" beach club in "Mr. Sancho's "in the southern part of the island of Cozumel, causing injury to 10 centimeters in the abdomen area, transcending this would not endanger the life of the swimmer, who was treated at a private clinic in the city.

According to data collected unofficially, shortly after 1 pm, a distress call reported that a tourist would have been bitten by a shark, so a quality emergency ambulance went to the beach club "Mr . Sancho's "located on the coastal road south to kilometer 15.
But so far been confirmed officially unusual attack, it emerged that the tourist was very shallow, as water reached his chest and wore a visor to swim at the beach when he noticed the presence of the shark "gata "without waiting to be attacked and being embarrassed after the attack on this kind of around the coast of the island.
According to Cesar Zepeda Escamilla, expert of the National Association of Tourist Operators and Water Activities (ANOAAT) diver on the island, is likely to have cleaned fish in the area close to the beach club, which may have confused the shark " gata "which usually shuns human presence," but we have to verify that factors have led to this unusual aggressive behavior, especially that kind this case is about. "
A big misconception is that the shark "cat" has no teeth, because although very small, has many and is capable of causing large wounds; despite its bite would be difficult for a person to kill one of them, but not impossible. (IC)

Couple things..(1)glad they sent a "quality emergency ambulance"-would have been TERRIBLE if an inferior one would have shown up and (2) I don't believe this--NO video is out there & EVERYONE including newbies carry a GoPro these days..:)

---------- Post added April 19th, 2014 at 10:39 AM ----------

Great, so now you're telling me I have to be scared of nurse sharks too...

Not the 1st time----nor will it be the last......I remember an article in Skin Diver magazine circa 1987 or so (might have been on the last page "I Learned From's" article) covering a nurse shark bite('attack')....

Last edited:
There is another article: Reportan inusual ataque de tiburón gato a un turista

Cozumel Shark attacks tourist in beach club

The scrawny caused extensive wound in the abdomen Patick Bet, and was discharged.
Today Saturday, 19 Apr, 2014 11:13
SEND

18041492fd31c68med.jpg

A cat shark an abdominal wound caused him a tourist. (Writing / SIPSE)
Gustavo Villegas / SIPSE
COZUMEL, Q. Roo -. With a 15-centimeter wound ended a foreign tourist who was attacked by a shark cat in Cozumel. The extraordinary incident occurred Friday morning around noon.
Hermeticism

Although life was not endangered visitor initially staff the central emergency call 066 and paramedics from the private hospital where he attended, denied the episode where Patrick Bet was injured.
Hours later they were forced to accept what happened although higher tourist details were not provided. The information learned unofficially indicated that the tourist was swimming in the beach club "Mr. Sanchos "when the shark rammed causing a head wound in the abdomen.
Beach club staff reported the incident immediately so the tourist was taken to a clinic in the city center. About three hours after he was discharged.
Unusual Attack

According to the Internet portal quo.mx, this shark inhabits waters around Mexico, but has a major presence in the Sea of ​​Cortez and the Caribbean Sea. Generally poses no threat to humans.

We have seen photos of the wound…not a big deal, and will try to post here if I can get a copy. I've probably had worse bites from tiny grouper teeth back when it was allowed/required show and I was learning to feed them.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

We have seen photos of the wound…not a big deal, and will try to post here if I can get a copy. I've probably had worse bites from tiny grouper teeth back when it was allowed/required show and I was learning to feed them.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I'm gunna take a wild guess that is was more like a bad abrasion vs a laceration???????......Any sutures required???..

Reactions: Jax
During a dive two years ago I had a nurse shark "bump" in to me as it leveled for the DM's tagline that had several Lion Fish. I was amazed and even filmed it as I was shocked that the Nurse Shark would take on the Lion Fish in whole. I'll try and post the video when I figure on how.

Out of all the predators the Nurse Shark poses the least of a threat. At least IMHO.

During a dive two years ago I had a nurse shark "bump" in to me as it leveled for the DM's tagline that had several Lion Fish. I was amazed and even filmed it as I was shocked that the Nurse Shark would take on the Lion Fish in whole. I'll try and post the video when I figure on how.

Out of all the predators the Nurse Shark poses the least of a threat. At least IMHO.

If it's not Youtube, Facebook, or Vimeo it's not supported here......So if so, go ahead & post a link.....We'll click it.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom