Very unfortunate accident parasailing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lionfish-eater

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Tragic Holiday

COZUMEL, April 18 -. Nayden Brandon Reny 37, of 28 Pine, an American, spent vacation in Cozumel tragic, to detach the rope that was holding a boat while enjoying a ride on a parachute.They came to give land falling on a pole with cables 13 000 800 volts, being severely injured woman, fighting for her life. Because of the impact against the post, the electricity service throughout the southern hotel zone is interrupted, resulting in large or huge losses.
The incident occurred at 15:41 hours, at kilometer 10 just past the farm Chankanaab Park, transiting in north-south direction. At the moment there has not been any comment from the authorities in Port Captain or the Attorney General of the State regarding this serious accident, has only leaked unofficially that the couple was traveling on the vessel "Anita" and had purchased the parachute ride into the President's hotel business "Scuba Doo."
is said to be both in the sea near Chankanaab and enjoy parasailing, there was a great wind that would have caused the rope that was holding the boat broke or untied, and remain at the mercy of the wind, which fanned mainland and were unlucky to give directly against a concrete pole owned CFE holding power lines.
Witnesses believe what happened the bodies were impacted against the pole at a speed of nearly 80 kilometers per hour, being hanged a few minutes, and wind, the body of Reny Pine was hit several times a pole, causing it to bleed from the head and knocked unconscious, electrical power is interrupted in the act.
Both were aided by people passing by, lowering them using the same parachute cord, coming to his aid the ambulance hyperbaric chamber whose paramedics took them to his hospital.
's crew boat was coming fled, leaving the injured to 19:00 and was not arrested any of them.
Around 18:30 unofficially reported that the woman was transferred to the hospital for San Miguel appropriate care.
Tragic accident led to that from the Puerta Maya pier, until the end of the southern hotel zone, electric service is interrupted, affecting all the area had to jump-start its power plants hotels.
Personal CFE began working to restore the service, according to their calculations at 22:00 hours this Friday would be ready and that the service interruption losses caused thousands of dollars, and it could be that the millions who have to pay the owner of the boat they were traveling tourists.
Judicial Police started investigations to 19:00 but did not collect the evidence, as the parachute vest and carrying one of the injured tourists, the which has not been reported severity of the damage they suffered.

Windguru showed mild 10mph wind from north to south. I think the only "great wind" is the hot air of the boat operators. Does anybody know how mexican liability laws work in these type of accidents?

Update,

The guy is fine, his girlfriend was knocked unconscious and suffered some broken facial bones, no brain injuries.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS There was a strong localized wind, may a downdraft from a thunderstorm.

A couple years ago the morning we were leaving Aldora Villa for the airport, taxi got behind a parasail boat that had just been pulled outta of the water(it was on a trailer)..I asked the taxi driver what was that about & he said 'oh that's the boat that someone(a tourist) fell from a few days earlier killing the tourist...Fell right off the beach in front of his wife as she viewed it all..'....They were pulling it out for 'an inspection'.....

That is very good news. I have never parasailed, but it always seemed to be relatively low risk. It wasn't clear if the rope broke or was not secured properly. I think I'll wait for Dave to start operating a parasailing op, or if I really have the need, seek a recommendation for who to use. Safe travels to all.

but it always seemed to be relatively low risk.
I've heard so many awful stories it seems that parasailing earned it's nickname of "dope on a rope". I don't know what the accident rate actually is though (probably safer than riding in a car- most everything is). There are news stories in the US every few years after accidents happen about how the industry is unregulated in the US (some people think it would be safer to do this in Florida than Mexico for instance.)

I am glad to hear the man is uninjured and the woman appears to have recoverable injuries. How awful.

Parasailing is VERY popular near me (Clearwater Beach, FL USA) among tourists. It's widely rumored to be extremely dangerous. Something for the tourists to kill themselves doing, and locals to avoid. I've never tried it.

Glad to hear the woman survived. I always struggle understanding translated reports. I didn't think the victim had survived when I first read it.

I was out on the water when this front blew in. There were sustained winds at much more than 10 mph.

Whitecaps everywhere and fresh wind long enough to build up waves with troughs deep enough to lose sight of the boat from water level view about an hour after winds picked up.

Windfinder reported 18 knot winds with gusts to 28 knots at that time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom