Tipping etiquette when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaalblake

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi the Mrs and I are off to Cozumel for a first trip in a few weeks - cant wait.
Staying at Scuba Club based on recommendations here and elsewhere.
Now we are Aussies and completely 'at sea' with the North American tipping culture.
When do you pay and how much?
Ive never tipped for diving elsewhere in the world (or got tipped when I was a pro instructor - except by americans) - but certainly get the impression that its part of the culture for cozumel.
So please help me out? How much? who? how often?
every dive, every drip? at the end of the week? just the divemaster?
please humour us non-Northern-Americans who dont have this same culture (generally) in our service industries.
Thanks

Contact Scuba Club Cozumel and they can send you the "suggested tip guide". They provide envelopes for each person/area and they are deposited in a box at the end of the trip. They cannot accept travelers cheques or personal checks. Have a great time and don't forget to bring a lock for the lockers. :D

thanks - thats great advice. I also just found a thread on cozumel tipping that seemed to suggest between $10 and $15 per tank (ie double that for a two tank dive day). Hopefully I wont be too far out with that.

I believe the norm is $5-10 USD per tank. I usually use Pesos so the DM and Captain do not have to exchange it and usually go $100 MNP per tank (about $7.50 USD). I believe the pay on dive boats is low in Mexico based upon the system of tips, this allows the operators to compete on price because they basically only pay the DM's and captains a nominal wage, but on the other side the tips do not get declared as income and taxed. Normally on most boats the captain and DM will share the tips so I will give the tip to either but if in doubt, don't be shy and ask about the paticular system for that boat. If they do something extra or at the end of the trip you wish to give extra, by all means give more.

In Cozumel right now. For the last 6 years it seems almost all tips were $10 US per 2 tank dive. I upped my tip to $15 US this year. Great dive op and DM's. With my op the Captain of the boat is given the tips from the DM's. Guess there is some kind of split. 6 days done with 4 more days of diving left. Water temp been steady mostly at 81. Have a great time - I am.

Depends on the service received for tipping amounts. Valet ops should get a little more, basic guides a little less in my opinion. For the valet op I usually average about $15 for a 2 tank dive.

the general rule is $5 per tank and pay the DM at the end of the dive. He will split the tips with the captain.

Back
Top Bottom