Trip Report - Iberostar/Dressel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mahidoodi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just came back from a week of stay at Iberostar hotel and diving with the Dressel Divers. I have stayed at this property 5 other times and dived with Dressel the same number of times before. Previously, on other occasions, over a span of many years I had stayed at Cozumeleno, SCC, Park Royal, Occidental Grand and Palace before. On each occasion I had dived with house dive operation.
I like the Iberostar for its settings which is different than other hotels. Because of my repeat visits I usually get good treatment in terms of room and other amenities. The food is average to good. The breakfasts are really good based on what they serve.
Lunches are good enough considering there is not much time to eat if you intend to do multiple dives. The dinners also pass the acceptance tests. The service is excellent no matter where you are. From the front desk personnel, to the wait staff, to the house cleaning crew, the bartenders, the grounds-keeping crew and so on. They always have a smile on their face and try to go out of their way to make sure you have a good time. The rooms are clean and comfortable. You pay extra for wifi but it is available and I was able to receive the signal even in my room as opposed to being in the lobby or the dining area in my previous trips. The price is also very reasonable.
I did all my diving with Dressel divers. They operate 2 and sometimes 3 large boats, a.k.a. the cattle boats. I like the large boats because of how much room they offer to move around. They are not as fast as the 8-packs but they don’t need to be considering most of the interesting dive sites ( except those on the tip of the southern point) are within a 5 minute boat ride from the resort. They are not the first ones on the dive site but then I always think of the first boat on the dive site is the last one there if you consider the previous day’s visits.
Right or wrong I always get the impression that some people like to be the first divers on a particular dive site or explore a dive site as fast as they can and at the end compare notes to see how many sharks they came across. Personally I am happy to dive at any site at Cozumel and float over one reef and gaze at one school of fish. That is just my preference and everybody has his or hers.
The DM’s at Dressel divers are great. Starting with Jake and Fernando at the front office to Erika, they all make sure you have everything you need to make an enjoyable day of diving. On this occasion and others I dived with Sophie, Scott, David, Marina, Erika, Karina, Fernando and others. They are all conscientious about safety and help you or leave you alone based on your experience. Basically you dive your computer. The price of the dives was also very reasonable since I prepaid through their office in Spain. They have a policy that if you don’t finish the number of the dives that you prepaid you have up to 5 years to complete them. I just happened to have 7 dives from my previous trip and bought more for this trip. By the way you can share the prepaid dives with other members of your family. The Nitrox is free if you are certified.
Dressel divers has bought new wet suits for those who need them and is in the process of upgrading their equipment.
Dressel divers is a well- run operation thanks to Jake and it is a great pleasure to dive with them. By the way I completed my 300th dive (not naked) on this trip.

Thanks for your trip report. Interesting about carrying over your pre-paid dives. I kind of like that policy. I have a dive shop I use in Maui for tanks and it's the same there. I always seem to have left over tanks I paid for and the next year guess where I go? It's good marketing I think.
Cheers,
John

Thanks for the report, we'll be at the Iberostar june 22-28th. I'm really looking forward to our first trip there! My daughter is super excited about Snorkeling around the pier and taking pics of all the fish she see's. We're gonna have a blast!

My daughter is super excited about Snorkeling around the pier and taking pics of all the fish she see's. We're gonna have a blast!

TJ,

There are fish around the Iberostar's pier, but if you walk north along the beach (about 5 minutes), the Occidental Grand has a larger enclosed swimming area with a much greater variety of fish. Well worth the short walk.

Also, between the two resorts (on the beach) is Alberto's, which is mostly a restaurant. Also at Alberto's is a small snorkel boat business. They go out a couple times a day for 2-3 hours per trip to snorkel at nearby shallow reefs. Cost is about $40/person.

Ron

TJ,

There are fish around the Iberostar's pier, but if you walk north along the beach (about 5 minutes), the Occidental Grand has a larger enclosed swimming area with a much greater variety of fish. Well worth the short walk.

Ron

Ron, Can you please elaborate on the snorkeling from the pier. All the photos I have seen posted of snorkeling off the beach appear to be a few coral head sticking out of the sand. If you swim way out, are there any real reefs to be seen between Iberostar and Occidental?
thx,
Stew Corman

I like that the Iberostar is on the south end and closer to the reefs. We like the all inclusives since we don't want to take the time to eat off site. We also like the larger boats and that nitrox is included in the pricing (be sure to pre-order any extra dives for best pricing). We have stayed at Iberostar twice and used Dressel Divers both times. My biggest complaints would be that Internet access is an extra cost and inconsistent quality of divemasters. They have some good divemasters but also some that are not so good and they are not able to accommodate requests for a particular divemaster. Our last trip we were assigned to 5 different divemasters for our week of diving. We had pre-requested a particular divemaster but she had moved on to another site. We were told this when we arrived and our request for an alternative DM resulted in only one dive with her. They also have a pretty big turnover with their divemasters (so if you find one you like - they won't probably be there next time). We have about 400 dives under our belts and have also stayed at SCC, the Palace with Aqua Safari, and El Cozumelueno (this one before we were divers).

Ron, Can you please elaborate on the snorkeling from the pier. All the photos I have seen posted of snorkeling off the beach appear to be a few coral head sticking out of the sand. If you swim way out, are there any real reefs to be seen between Iberostar and Occidental?
thx,
Stew Corman[/QUOTE

it is not a good idea to snorkel way out to the reefs in Cozumel because it puts you in the boating lanes not to mention also in the variable currents. On my dive trip this past March we spotted a snorkeler on two different days and our boat stopped and the captain and dive master chewed them out and told them to get back to the shore area.

gaffer

Thanks for the report. I will be in IberoStar in May so this is really timely info.

Back
Top Bottom