Wet gear and overweight charges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbjclj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We had planned Monday and Tuesday to dry gear and fly on Wednesday. Since it has been raining since Sunday with the forecast the same for tomorrow, I am pretty sure we won't be dry.

The last 2 times we checked in at the Coz united counter, the agent said if your bag contains ONLY scuba gear you are allowed 70 pounds. Has anyone tested this policy? It doesn't mention this on the United site

thanks
Cheryl

Is this for real?? I had never heard this. Can you have the United person show you documentation indicating this?

First I've heard of such a policy, but I've heard of plenty of policies that charge extra for scuba gear.

Back when we schlepped gear back and forth we tried to make sure we weren't right at the weight limit on the way down or had room in checked baggage or carry-on to spread things out. If you haven't used your full baggage allowance, you could buy a cheap duffel and pack it with dirty laundry to minimize the weight in other bags.

It won't help since you're there now, but before we stopped transporting gear we were using DiveCaddy systems that let us carry on each person's full dive gear, so weight only mattered to our backs.

I've read the policy. It is real.

However I've never heard of anyone looking through the bags. Just put whatever else on the bottom.

Copied from the United web site - baggage policy for sports equipment. I don't see the 70 lb limit mentioned there, but I know I have before. Not sure if it was with United or another airline, but several years ago they did paw through my dive bag to make sure there was no other stuff in there.

"United accepts one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport as checked baggage. Scuba equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge for a single piece, whether or not it is presented as a single piece.
Dive bags weighing more than 50 pounds (23 kg) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate dive equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight checked baggage service charge.
Dive bags measuring greater than 62 linear inches (158 cm) that contain other items in addition to or in place of dive equipment will be subject to the applicable oversize charge.
First or second checked bag service charges may apply.
An empty dive tank or up to three rebreather tanks will not be included in determining the baggage allowance and will be subject to a service charge of $100 (each way) for travel between the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. A service charge of $200 (each way) applies for all other travel. The empty dive/rebreather tank must have the regulator valve completely disconnected from the tank. The tank must not be sealed (i.e., the tank has an open end). The tank must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection by a TSA Security Screener.
Note for rebreather equipment: Soda lime that is 4% Sodium Hydroxide or less will be accepted in checked baggage. Soda lime that is 4.1% Sodium Hydroxide or more will not be accepted in checked baggage.
An item of scuba equipment consists of one empty scuba tank, up to three rebreather tanks, or one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport. The empty scuba/rebreather tank and a separate dive bag containing scuba equipment will be charged as two separate pieces.
United is not liable for damage to scuba diving equipment."

My real question is, if our bag with 2 sets of gear is 50-60 pounds will they charge overweight? I have read the United policy and is somewhat unclear

If I were you, I would print off the policy for scuba gear in english AND in spanish and underline the part that says IF the bag contains other items it will incur an overweight fee. That statement implies (to me, anyway) that as long as it is ONLY dive gear - the overweight fees do not apply. Then show it to the agent upon check-in. Of course, the interpretation will be at the whim of the agent and you may have to ask for a supervisor if they are not cooperative.
Good luck! I feel like you will be fine, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom