Dive Report Dec. 11 Paraiso Reef Night Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

achu

Reaction score
Cozumel Paraiso Night Dive:

This night dive was just magical! We dropped to 40 feet at the middle portion of the main Paraiso Reef. We got to the bottom to find little to no current. Also, we had planned a late dive, so no one else was around. We had the reef all to ourselves!

First thing we see is a little octopus. Barely 5 inches across! How adorable!!! It just crawled around not noticing anyone (until the DM poked at it! Tsk tsk!!!). Then we were just slowly finning around the reef, looking at all the little banded shrimp, hermit crabs, star fish of all kinds crawling around the crevices of the coral and sponges.

I moved over to the sandy areas and found little crabs and clear "see through" shrimp crawling around all over the sand. We a stingray who tried to shuffle himself into the sand to hide from us. We examined the different types of hard coral and looked at the tentacles that are all over them at night. We heard croaking (or cooing?) the divemaster looked around under every crevice until he found it! A splendid toadfish singing away in his hole!!! What a cutie!!!

I shone my flashlight up into the darkness and saw glints of a massive schools of fish swiming above and all around us. THEN I came face to face with TWO BIG EYES and TEETH! Sigh, those barracuda really do give me the creeps!!! It was a HUGE barracuda just hovering above the reef formation.

We turned off our flashlight and saw the plankton twinkle like a trail of stars... Sigh, can I say it again? I love night dives!

So, it was a wonderful night dive, however, after I got on the boat my flashlight was no longer with me. DAMN... Where did that flashlight go??? I know I had it during my safety stop! AND it was on! Lesson learned: if you know your flashlight is on and you know it is somewhere down in the dive site, feel FREE to tell the boat captain to hold on for a sec while you go back and get it. I guess our captain was tired or busy, he just sped of. Boo hoo... So, if any of you find a princton tec 400 flashlight with a plastic clip (blue) and "pantara" written on the side of it at Paradise Reef, feel free to give me a call!

Achuuuuuuu!

Aahhh....I love night dives too. I can just hear the shrimps and crabs clicking their messages to each other, with the Toadfish providing the bass rythum.

I love your reports but I goots tell ya...You're killing me here!

Great report! Keep 'em coming. I'm still confused Achu. Where are you from? I knnow you live there,(Coz) and run a dive shop. Which one?
I'll be down with a small group March 2nd, 02. Maybe we can meet up?
:sunny:

Natasha,

Nope, i don´t run a dive shop. I manage a hotel here (www.haciendasanmiguel.com) but I am an obsessed diver, so I go diving a bunch on my days off.

I´m from Seattle Washington. I certified Open Water there.

Now I´m in process of trying to certify Divemaster while I´m in paradise! (it is going to take forever since I work!)

Sure, I´d love to meet up your next time here. (or let me know which dive shop you will be diving with.. I´ll see if I have time to join your group for a dive.)

Achu

Ah! I see. Now I get it. We'll be diving with " Apple" the owner of Dive Paradise. Do you know her? It would be wonderful to have you join us. I'm actually coming down on the 1st of March, a day before the group to set things up. We're staying at Plaza Las Glorias. Everyone wanted to be able to walk to town, and eat in the local restaurants instead of an all inclusive. I'd love to hear your favorites!
:sunny:

Originally posted by achu
Nope, i don´t run a dive shop. I manage a hotel here (www.haciendasanmiguel.com) but I am an obsessed diver, so I go diving a bunch on my days off.

Achu

Ahhhh, just the person I was looking for, a hotel manager. A buddy and I are seriously considering coming down there for few days this spring to soak up a little saltwater. Divers welcome?

I love having divers at the hotel! That way, I get to hear all the diving stories!!! I live vicariously through my guests on the days I am working.

(hint hint...I'll give you a great rate if you are off of scubaboard, but you have to stop by the office to tell me all about the diving when you are here!)

angela

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom