OK to Bring Cigars into Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Will be in Coz next week and would like to bring along 5 or 6 nice cigars. Does anyone know if they are permitted into Coz? Would hate to have them confiscated at the airport. BTW, know we can purchase cigars in Cozumel - just always seemed more expensive than what I pay in the States and some are definitely of questionable heritage. Thanks!

I have brought them before and had my bag inspected in Cancun with them looked at. There is a limit of 25 I think?

As for stuff there, most of the Cubans are fake. Some fakes aren't too bad if you get them reasonable. I have to say the REAL Cubans I bought from Havana Bob's at Wet Wendy's did not impress me for the price. Maybe I am not refined enough? However in May I found Havana Bob has a BIG box of what they say he has made for him specifically from 'Cuban seed'. They are unlabled and very reasonable. I got a $10 one and enjoyied it with a Wet Wendy's Margarita. It was very nice.

Thanks cvchief. Funny you mention Bob's cuban seed cigars. I bought a few last time I was there. Like you said - not bad for the price. From what I could determine by looking at cigar bands, box seals etc, Bob had the only real Cubans of all the shops I visited. For me, I'm fine with a good Nicaraguan cigar that cost half as much.

Chedraui has authentic Cuban cigars, mostly Montecristos, and a few others. Prices are "good", meaning "less ridiculous than at other places". I will buy them there, at La Casa del Habano (an authorized Habanos dealer) and at Bob's. Nowhere else, including the tobacconist/head shop under the Mega. Note that buying them at Chedraui is a tedious experience that will take much longer than you would ever dream possible. (It's not as bad as buying a scooter at Mega, though...)

Cuban cigars are inherently very expensive, and the perception that Americans will pay a lot because they're forbidden and Canadians will pay a lot because cigars are very expensive in Canada keeps prices high on the island. A few are sublime experiences worth the expense. Many are not. A few aren't worth any expense at all. Great Cubans are better than great cigars from other places. Good Cubans are not as good as great or "quite good" cigars from other places.

Even Mexican cigars are not particularly inexpensive in Mexico. I've seriously considered ordering a box of my favorite Mexican Te Amo's from J R Cigar and taking them to the island, but rejected it because of the whole "coals to Newcastle" aspect. It would be a bit cheaper to do that, though.

You may bring up to 25 cigars without paying duty. You may bring any amount you want if you pay duty on the number over 25.

In April customs in Cancun asked if I had any tobacco. I said about 10 cigars, and they said OK and let me through.

I resort I stayed at had a cigar bar. They sold some cigars there. I got a great picture of fake Cohibas they were selling for over 1300 Pesos a piece. It was some special model that came in a box of only 2. One had a band larger than the other, and one had a band that was printed crooked.

Well, so there is another to add to the list, MS. Apparently you need to help me pick a good Cuban so I can evaluate. I clearly don't know what I doing. I have to say the cheap fake Cubans my nephew picked up in the plaza seemed better than the couple real Cubans of Bob's I tried. Havana Bob's house brand was better than both. I have bought a few packs of lil MX stinkers from the Mega headshop. I never tried the Ched. We only go there to buy cascade dishwasher tablets and diet tonic water......

Jefe, we have a dishwasher at our place, but I don't think she uses those tablets...

You never took me up on those drinks at la casa, but I can probably hook you up with something you'll find smokeable. What do you like to smoke in the US?

Well, so there is another to add to the list, MS. Apparently you need to help me pick a good Cuban so I can evaluate. I clearly don't know what I doing. I have to say the cheap fake Cubans my nephew picked up in the plaza seemed better than the couple real Cubans of Bob's I tried. Havana Bob's house brand was better than both. I have bought a few packs of lil MX stinkers from the Mega headshop. I never tried the Ched. We only go there to buy cascade dishwasher tablets and diet tonic water......

Hey chief...Even though I am a die hard, anti-smoke radical...I have this crazy knack of being able to identify GOOD pipe and cigar tobacco.... ciggys...Fuhgedaboudit... :) . For example, the last trip we were in Cozumel, my DH, friends and I made our way over to Coco's. As we were all sitting down, enjoying refreshments, I got a wiff of some awesome Cigar. I told my friend..."That's Cuban"..he said "You think"..I said.."I know"...so he turned around and asked the fellow if his cigar was Cuban...and it was of course. I admit, the aroma was delicious, however, for the record, I still do not want to be in the direct line of smoke for too long. Maybe I just have a special super power nose since I normally do not go anywhere near tobacco smoke. So, if you need a snifferer to find you Real Cuban cigars, I could be hired as a Cuban Cigar sniffing consultant.. Unfortunately, Michael and I and you and your group will just miss each other in July. Perhaps next time.... Have fun.

Double S

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom