Blue Angel - Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lardo5150

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I went to Cozumel by myself (that was my deal with the wife, she could get pregnant with our first, I then get to go diving solo :D ) around 2009.
I stayed at the Blue Angel based on the recommendations here on the board. I LOVED it!! At the time, Jorge was there, I believe he is gone now??

I am finally going back, and looking to go in August or September. Going with one of my besties this time, and he was wanting to go to Scuba Club.

I am all about BA, but I just wanted to check in since it has been 5 years to make sure nothing major has changed and it is still the great hotel/dive op that it was. My buddy did email them the other day for availability and has not heard back.

Any opinions on BA vs Scuba Club. Obviously I am sold on BA, but just asking out of a courtesy for him.

FYI, this is my 3rd trip to Coz.

EDIT: I just read this post below. This did not happen when I was there. Is this now happening?
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/473004-blue-angel-experience-scuba-club-questions.html

EDIT 2: Is Jorge Cabrera still there?

Last edited:
I just came back from a stay at BA, though I did not dive with their house op.

Most of the time, the pool was empty or just had a handful of people at most sitting around. Likewise the lobby. And the hotel was full at the time. I didn't see any drunk Russians or any drunks for that matter, not even drunk Texans :)

Another thing. I've heard complaints here about the road noise from the upper rooms. I'm an early riser and used to living in cities, so the traffic beginning around 6-6:30 am wasn't an issue for me from my third-floor corner room, though it might necessitate ear plugs for late sleepers.

On the other hand, there was an incredibly loud shrieking bird that would go off at 5:30 am, just as the sun was peeking up. As a Texan, I strongly suggest you bring one of your guns and shoot the bastard out of its tree, I'm sure the other guests there would thank you profusely :blinking:

We just got back from a 9 day stay at The Blue Angel. This is our fourth time staying there. Some changes have been made since you were there. The dive shop has a new staff and is managed by a very capable lady...Vanessa. The dive shop does their best to get you on the boat you want with the people you want to dive with. A new policy they have is you must check out your weights on your first dive day (or the day before) and keep them with you at all times. The boats no longer have weights (but the DM does if you need a couple extra pounds on a dive). We always stay on the third floor, but luckily our dive buddies stay on the ground floor and we were able to leave the weights in their room after diving. Schlepping weights up and down the third floor wouldn't have been exciting. Jorge is no longer with the BA. He is with Tres Pelicanos. He was always our favorite DM and we miss him. We did get to spend time with him at one of our SI's and catch up with what he's been up to. He's very happy being at Tres Pelicanos and we're happy for him. The DMs we had from the BA were all very good....no complaints. They all got in the water before allowing us to go in so they could check the current (most days the current was really moving!). As far as road noise is concerned....we kept the bathroom door shut at night to keep the noise down. Plus, with the air conditioning going, we didn't hear any noise. There was a big group at the BA for the first five days we were there so the restaurant chose to do a buffet for breakfast each morning. I didn't like the food (but I'm a picky eater) and would've rather been able to order off the menu. After the big group left, the restaurant was back to normal. To sum it up: We had a great trip with wonderful diving. The Blue Angel will continue to be our choice for accommodations and for diving!

We just got back from a 9 day stay at The Blue Angel. This is our fourth time staying there. Some changes have been made since you were there. The dive shop has a new staff and is managed by a very capable lady...Vanessa. The dive shop does their best to get you on the boat you want with the people you want to dive with. A new policy they have is you must check out your weights on your first dive day (or the day before) and keep them with you at all times. The boats no longer have weights (but the DM does if you need a couple extra pounds on a dive). We always stay on the third floor, but luckily our dive buddies stay on the ground floor and we were able to leave the weights in their room after diving. Schlepping weights up and down the third floor wouldn't have been exciting. Jorge is no longer with the BA. He is with Tres Pelicanos. He was always our favorite DM and we miss him. We did get to spend time with him at one of our SI's and catch up with what he's been up to. He's very happy being at Tres Pelicanos and we're happy for him. The DMs we had from the BA were all very good....no complaints. They all got in the water before allowing us to go in so they could check the current (most days the current was really moving!). As far as road noise is concerned....we kept the bathroom door shut at night to keep the noise down. Plus, with the air conditioning going, we didn't hear any noise. There was a big group at the BA for the first five days we were there so the restaurant chose to do a buffet for breakfast each morning. I didn't like the food (but I'm a picky eater) and would've rather been able to order off the menu. After the big group left, the restaurant was back to normal. To sum it up: We had a great trip with wonderful diving. The Blue Angel will continue to be our choice for accommodations and for diving!

Thanks islanddream, I appreciate the feedback. Man, bummed that Jorge is gone.

I am finally going back, and looking to go in August or September. Going with one of my besties this time, and he was wanting to go to Scuba Club. Any opinions on BA vs Scuba Club. Obviously I am sold on BA, but just asking out of a courtesy for him.

EDIT: I just read this post below. This did not happen when I was there. Is this now happening?
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/473004-blue-angel-experience-scuba-club-questions.html
You are going to be there when it is low season. There aren't that many cruise ships arriving in August/Sept. So you should have the lounge chairs and pool pretty much to yourself and other hotel guests.

You are going to be there when it is low season. There aren't that many cruise ships arriving in August/Sept. So you should have the lounge chairs and pool pretty much to yourself and other hotel guests.

Good point. I brought that up just in general though, trying to see what changes have happened since I have been there and if everyone here still feels this is "one of the best" still. I say that with caution cause I know how personal tastes here differ and everyone has a favorite, but I remember the BA being a highly recommended place back in 2009, along with two or three others as well (Christi's dive op for one). With over a 100 ops, I know you have plenty to choose from, but my experience back in 09 was so good, just checking to see how it compares today.

We were part of the "Big" group that island dream talked about. We stayed an extra night and the breakfast was much better when you got to order what you wanted. We had Jose as our dive master and he was awesome! We had a great time there and we too heard the shrieking bird every morning! Ha!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom