Mossman Eats Cozumel Day Three

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mossman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Today was my day to get wet! Started off early with a walk to Casa Mexicana for my free breakfast, got there right at 7 when they opened. A healthy diver's breakfast of scrambled eggs with mushrooms, chicken breast in a tomatillo sauce, some chilaquiles and potatoes for carbs, strawberry yogurt with granola and shredded coconut, and some ripe papaya and cantaloupe. Lots of coffee. Didn't find the juices until I was already on my way out, will save that for next time.

Got back to Bahia in time to grab my bags from upstairs and check out. Met Christi back downstairs to transfer my bags to her waiting limo, though for the $1M I paid for the spot on her boat, she still wouldn't handle my wetsuit. Crossed the street and walked down the Aldora Dock to board the boat. Met Sue Sue and hubby, pkpowerofone, and two other fellow divers. Dove a combo of Palancar Bricks and Caves for the first dive where I saw a cute baby lobster that looked more like a large crayfish, enjoyed the topography. Held my liquid until the SI where I noticed Pedro had the same purpose in mind, we forked in different directions to find healthy trees to water. Figured there was no reason to pee in my wetsuit if I had to hold onto it. Second dive at Delila where I was frustrated by not having my camera to shoot the largest spotted cleaner shrimp I'd ever seen walking around an anemone, taunting me with his photogenic size, not even bothering to hide inside the tentacles. A magnificent specimen, I hope someone else gets lucky enough to shoot him.

Got back to my new digs, the Blue Angel Resort. My bags were waiting for me in the lobby, kudos to Christi for the flawless transfer service. Checked into my room and made my way to the restaurant where I indulged in the Diver's Lunch: a couple fish fillets served with a choice of salad, rice, or papas. I chose salad but ended up getting all three. The fish was nicely cooked, perfect with a squeeze of limon, and the carbs perfectly satisfied the hunger developed after a couple hours of bottom time.

1.jpg

For some reason, the lunch only whetted my appetite for dinner. After lazing around the lobby and pool area for a while, I eventually made my way back to town, again a very pleasant stroll. Normally the Caribbean July heat and humidity would get to me, but having left SoCal where it was at least 10 degrees hotter and with less of a breeze, and lucky enough to hit the island at a dry time, I found the weather excellent. Sun was a bit hot out of the shade but sunscreen kept me from toasting too badly.

I had been eyeing Sorrisi when I was staying at Bahia as it's just across the street. When I walked into the formal dining room wearing T-shirt and shorts (I normally "dress up" a bit for dinner by at least substituting a Tommy Bahama button-down but was feeling too lazy apres-dive) I was a bit intimidated at first, but the host and waitstaff made me feel comfortable. And, like at New Especias, the restaurant was completely empty. They were clearly as hungry for my business as I was hungry for their food.

2.jpg

And the food was excellent. After the complimentary plate of bruschetta, I had an appetizer of tuna sashimi. Pounded thin and served on a large plate, the tuna was impeccable and very tasty with a mound of greens in the center for crunch. Scraped the plate clean.

3.jpg

For the main course, I chose grouper crusted in zucchini and potato, served over a bed of olive-oil braised spinach and accompanied by a yogurt sauce. Fortunately they served a more sauce on the side because it was so good I could have eaten that alone. Fish was excellent, flaky and moist, the oiliness of the spinach and the cool yogurt all mingling into an experience I tried to savor with small bites instead of gulping it down in seconds.

5.jpg

I had also ordered a side of fresh asparagus cooked in balsamico, not very appetizing to the eye, but cooked so it still had some bite, the nuttiness of the asparagus combining with the sweet balsamico into an ocean of flavor and a perfect complement to the fish and potato.

4.jpg

After dinner, I was absolutely full, but I still allowed the waiter to list off his nightly selection of postres. Unfortunately for my estomago, he said the magic word "tiramisu". I cannot leave an Italian restaurant without trying its tiramisu so I gave in to my carnal desire and ordered it along with a Cafe Americano to cut the richness.

6.jpg

It was as excellent as the rest of the meal, the tangy creamy mascarpone balanced with the bittersweetness of the coffee and chocolate. As stuff as I was, I almost considered ordering another portion but finally exhibited enough restraint to pay la cuenta and ease myself slowly out of the comfy chair for the walk back to BA, leaving the restaurant as empty as when I had arrived. Again, a sad sight to behold for while I know there's other great Italian on the island, it's a shame a fine establishment like Sorrisi wasn't packed to the gills with other dive-hungry diners.

Looks like I'll have to add Sorrisi to my list of "must go to" restaurants. I'll be in Cozumel for 7 nights in December. Now to figure out how to squeeze 9 dinners into 7 nights.

Looks like I'll have to add Sorrisi to my list of "must go to" restaurants. I'll be in Cozumel for 7 nights in December. Now to figure out how to squeeze 9 dinners into 7 nights.
Simply eat twice in one night. See my next installment for tips.

I have been a fan since they opened. Francesco is an excellent chef. His demi-glaze is amazing. I usually just let them suggest the days best offering.

Not that you need a reason to return, but if you find a wine they have that you really like, buy a bottle to put on the rack for your next trip. It's nice to know that there is a bottle of good wine with my name on it waiting for my return to coz.

Last edited:
I am rarely politically correct but in this instance I am. if I eat fish on a dive vacation it would be something that is plentiful including lionfish but Grouper? ya gotta be kidding........

I am rarely politically correct but in this instance I am. if I eat fish on a dive vacation it would be something that is plentiful including lionfish but Grouper? ya gotta be kidding........
I am very politically correct. Catch of the day at Kinta, Kondesa, and Sorrisi was grouper, so I ate grouper rather than boycott the restaurants or eat something likewise politically incorrect like shrimp or beef or lobster. I flew on an airplane that left a huge carbon footprint and exploited poor Mayans by bringing my tourist dollars to the to an island which underpays them. And of course I used non-eco sunscreen.

Next time I'll swim to the island, tip the Mayan maid $1,000 and give her the night off, make my own bed, and eat sustainable cucarachas I hand harvest outside the Aldora villas, will paddle the boat out to the reefs rather than utilize a gas-guzzling, oil-leaking engine, and use no sunscreen at all which will contribute to a malignant melanoma and prematurely terminate my existence thus making the world a safer place for all mankind.

But I do love grouper, yum!

"As most have said, Eat the breakfast at Buddies. We bring ramen noodles (light) and have leftovers from a dinner out the night before. We like Casablanca with the grass fed Argentinian beef that is not porked up on steroid, chemicals, grains like here in the us." -- ronski101, 6/12/12

Really? You think it's politically correct to have beef shipped around 3,000 miles? Beef that merely 1 kg requires 15,000 liters of life sustaining water to produce while California is in the worst drought in recorded history? Wow.

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree, and avoid grouper and snapper on vacation or at home. I have actually read trip reviews where someone dissed an island due to poor coral health and/or few large fish on the reef but then wrote about having grouper for their meals while there. I think there needs to better efforts to educate people on the relationship of popular food fish to reef health.

I agree, and avoid grouper and snapper on vacation or at home. I have actually read trip reviews where someone dissed an island due to poor coral health and/or few large fish on the reef but then wrote about having grouper for their meals while there. I think there needs to better efforts to educate people on the relationship of popular food fish to reef health.
The snapper at Rock 'N Java was excellent as well.

For the record, all the fish I ate were dead already. Had I not eaten them, they would have been thrown away. What a waste of non-sustainable fish that would have been.

Those Americans older than me who eat beef are damaging their cardiovascular systems which will further strain our already unsustainable Medicare system and directly impact my god-given American right to free health care. I think there needs to be better efforts to educate people on the relationship of popular food to human health.

BTW, the Cozumel reefs look better and better each time I travel there. I saw a couple large groupers on my two dives there, they looked like they'd be very tasty grilled with a squeeze of lime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom