Cozumel Palace - All Inclusive Cost and Quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

handben

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering making a timeshare trade for next March (2015) and bring my 2 teenage kids (ages 18 and 17). I see that to book this through Interval International, I am obligated to purchase separately the resort food package. Unfortunately they don't say how much that costs and the receptionist at their contact #was unable to tell me either. I am wondering if anyone on scubaboard has done this and what it costs.

Also how is the food? We normally prepare most of our own meals when we travel (and have access to a kitchen); but with my wife not making this trip, it is not such a bad thing to not have to make every meal by myself for the 3 of us. I hate to sound too snobbish and picky about my food but a few years ago we stayed at an all-inclusive south of town and I ended up losing several pounds that week as the institutional food was scarcely palatable. Thanks to all for the help here.

Cozumel Palace is better than "institutional food" and in many cases it's quite good. I normally detest buffets since they are the worst institutional purveyors, but the lunch buffet at the Palace is excellent and the dinner "buffet" is salads, sides, and desserts with your choice of steaks, chicken, or fish grilled to order. The three sit-down restaurants are good to excellent, though the desserts tend to be too heavy on the gelatin. It's been several years since I was there last so they may have improved somewhat. Or they may have gone downhill :)

I was at the Palace in April with my wife, older sister, and 90 year old mom. It was our fifth stay there. In our opinion, if anything, they have stepped up the quality of the food a notch over the last few years. Everyone could always find something they liked, and were always more than satisfied. The presentation of the food and the service are top-notch; the food itself is far better than any other AI I have stayed at. The head chef made freinds with my mom and made her several meals himself after talking with her to see what she liked. I would also recommend highly the "chef's special dinner" (extra cost, but you pay with resort points - but do have to pay the tax) as being worthwhile, with several courses, wine pairings, and an even fancier set-up. We usually went out for a dinner in town at least one night even though the food is very good, just to try some new things.

That said, we are staying next door at El Cantil in just a few weeks for the first time. The location of El Cantil and The Palace are ideal in our opinion, and there are many very good restaurants within 5 to six blocks if you'd like a change of pace. Also, the proximity of the Mega and Chedraui (think biggest supermarket on the island and a Walmart) right across the street increases flexibility. We will miss the service at the Palace, but wanted to try more of the local restaurants this time.

WE have been to the palace multiple times. It is really great. It is smaller than the other palace resorts because there isn't as much space on Cozumel for a big place, but I prefer that. It makes it much more relaxing. It is also close enough to town and shopping that you can walk there. Some of the other larger resorts are too far away from town.

After a couple of calls I found out that they want $174 per person per day just for the food. I decided $3654 is too expensive for the 3 of us to eat for 1 week. Once we factor in airfare, diving and other various costs it would be a really expensive week. It seems like a bit of a scam to me but perhaps I'm just a bit cynical.

The hotel is very good; as well as, the food, drink and entertainment. I am on my 4th trip to CP and my non-diving family members really enjoy the entertainment offered by the staff. If the entire family dove and we were out on a boat most of the day there are much more affordable options without all of the extra perks and entertainment provided by CP that is in included in the cost. An extra perk is the credits provided that can be used for tours and other services (e.g. Spa). It really comes down to what you are your travel companions are looking for. For example, if I were traveling alone or just with other divers, I'd just find a reasonable room somewhere close to where i could be picked up for dives. Stock the room for snacks and drinks, plus eat at the local restaurants.

After a couple of calls I found out that they want $174 per person per day just for the food. I decided $3654 is too expensive for the 3 of us to eat for 1 week. Once we factor in airfare, diving and other various costs it would be a really expensive week. It seems like a bit of a scam to me but perhaps I'm just a bit cynical.
Food and drink. I was spending a little over $60/day on food, no drink, on my last a la carte trip and that was because breakfast was included in my hotel package. The question is whether you can drink $114 worth per day. When I drank, I'd have no problem running up a $114 bar bill just to get my money's worth.

Food and drink. I was spending a little over $60/day on food, no drink, on my last a la carte trip and that was because breakfast was included in my hotel package. The question is whether you can drink $114 worth per day. When I drank, I'd have no problem running up a $114 bar bill just to get my money's worth.

I don't mind a drink or 2 to wind down at the end of the day but I don't think I can drink $114 per day worth of alcohol. I really don't want to see the spectacle of my 2 teenage kids trying to get their moneys worth on the alcohol front. I am sure we will return to Cozumel - but most likely not with an All-inclusive.

$522 a day gets you a private chef for 3 meals a day in a swanky zip code in the USA, that seems crazy for Mexico.

Google Cozumel Palace on Ebay. I have stayed under a members benefit for $2000 a week and get all inclusive food and drinks. Not too mention they run a special where you get $1500 in resort credits. I love it there!!!

Back
Top Bottom