Sighted in Cozumel - what is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gstrek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sighted in Cozumel, San Francisco Reef on 7/24/14 around 11:55 a.m. at maybe 40'. It was less than 2 inches and black. I've never seen a black flounder before but we did see a number of tan colored flounder about the same size in similar areas.

It does not show up in the Paul Humann Reef Fish Caribbean, Florida, Bahamas and the DM from Scuba Club has not seen this before either. Anyone able to identify this?

--Gary

20140724_COZ-214.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sure it is a Peacock Flounder in his dark phase - they change colors a lot

Looking closer, it does seem to have the markings, doesn't it? Didn't know they got that dark.

Yeh - they do occasionally - :) I only recall ever seeing one get completely dark like this a few times in all of my dives here. Had I not seen it morph back into it's traditional phase, I would have thought it was another breed of flounder.

Yeh - they do occasionally - :)

I lost a bet and had to buy dinner for two at Kondesa on a sea bass question. I REALLY need to get my neighbor to teach me that REEF ID class.....

I lost a bet and had to buy dinner for two at Kondesa on a sea bass question. I REALLY need to get my neighbor to teach me that REEF ID class.....

I am going to set one up with her for a group of divers :)

Are you referring to Deborah B? If so she is one of the best I have met at fish ID. Sallye is awfully good as well. I dove with a group in Roatan and at the end of the day we would pull out the laptop and put all our SD cards in a reader. We would review every ones pics, some good, some not so but was excellent at reviewing fish identification. Was a fun time and very educational.
Miss that and am losing my fish ID as I get older. By the way what was the question?

Back
Top Bottom