advanced dive shop with small groups in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dolphintam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to Cozumel end of August and I am travelling solo. I am an advanced diver (NAUI Master Diver with over 500 dives) that has been very spoilt after diving pretty much the way I wanted to dive (as in deep long dives) for 2 years in Roatan,so I am looking for a dive shop that will pair me up with equally advanced divers and that doesn't have large groups and iron-clad rules.And NITROX. I am staying at the Secrets hotel, so if they pick up, that would be awesome. Any suggestions?

I have been going down solo lately, last weekend and again next weekend and then for a week each month September thru December and I dive with Tres Pelicanos (yep a shameless plug). They fit your bill and allow me to dive as you describe. I am partial to Tres Pelicanos but there are a number of other valet / boutique operations that would fit your requirements and I suggest going over to the Cozumel sub thread where this has been gone over at great length. Have you considered a private DM? The end of August through October is the low season and there are a lot of good DM’s available and surprisingly cheap.

Thanks gopbroek, that may be a good idea, though I would like to go with one that's reccomended.Last time I was in Cozumel a couple of years ago I had one which wasn't too bad but he didn't stay as close to me as I would have liked. I am going to look into Tres Pelicanos too.

I am going to Cozumel end of August and I am travelling solo. I am an advanced diver (NAUI Master Diver with over 500 dives) that has been very spoilt after diving pretty much the way I wanted to dive (as in deep long dives) for 2 years in Roatan,so I am looking for a dive shop that will pair me up with equally advanced divers and that doesn't have large groups and iron-clad rules.And NITROX. I am staying at the Secrets hotel, so if they pick up, that would be awesome. Any suggestions?
NAUI/PADI/TDI Recreational, Advanced to Technical equipment/gas support & training:

Scuba Diving in Cozumel with Deep Exposure Dive Center Cozumel

Any shop can get nitrox. Lots of shops will pick up at Secrets. I use Living Underwater which has steel 120s for deep long dives with a small group. On one of them, the max depth was limited to 170', but I didn't get yelled out for going to 171' so I assume the rules aren't iron clad. That said, you may be limited on choice of dive site by whoever else may be on the boat and this maxim applies to all single-boat dive ops on the island. Some multi-boat ops try to match divers according to their skill level, but you still may not get to dive pretty much the way you want to dive unless you get your own DM and/or boat.

Thanks again for the suggestions.I am emailing Living Underwater and Deep Exposure too.

Aldora Divers is what you're looking for. Advanced divers once with them aren't going anywhere else cause you'll be in their special little 'club'. They specialize in putting advanced divers with each other on small boats with groups smaller than typical size for Cozumel and then going after the advanced sites without newbies on board to ruin it for everyone else. The marine park rules are 1 dive master to every 8 divers, Aldora has their own rules which are 1 dive master to 6 divers. They are going to silently check you out on your first day and place you with an appropriate group for the rest of your trip. Once you get onto that advanced boat you'll be in heaven. Steel 120s of course are the norm with them and they are all about bottom time. One of the few outfits on the island with enough boats to segregate divers, one of the few outfits on the island with the foresight and financial ability to have their own fill station including nitrox. Only outfit on the island that can dive the east side of the island and they are currently the only operation opening up new dive sites north of the island. They won't be the cheapest, but you get what you pay for.

Aldora Divers is what you're looking for. Advanced divers once with them aren't going anywhere else cause you'll be in their special little 'club'. They specialize in putting advanced divers with each other on small boats with groups smaller than typical size for Cozumel and then going after the advanced sites without newbies on board to ruin it for everyone else. The marine park rules are 1 dive master to every 8 divers, Aldora has their own rules which are 1 dive master to 6 divers. They are going to silently check you out on your first day and place you with an appropriate group for the rest of your trip. Once you get onto that advanced boat you'll be in heaven. Steel 120s of course are the norm with them and they are all about bottom time. One of the few outfits on the island with enough boats to segregate divers, one of the few outfits on the island with the foresight and financial ability to have their own fill station including nitrox. Only outfit on the island that can dive the east side of the island and they are currently the only operation opening up new dive sites north of the island. They won't be the cheapest, but you get what you pay for.
So "advanced" that they make the entire group surface together. So "advanced" they make you shlep your wetsuit to/from the dive boat.

The day I get so lazy that my choice of dive operation is based on if they take care of my wet suit or not is the day I stop diving and take up knitting. Talk about trivial, what do you do sit on the boat and pout when you dive some place that expects you to not only take care of your wet suit but (gasp) set up your own equipment? Oh my how gouache! I'm surprised some people can even find the time to dive with fitting it in between afternoon tea and all.

Back
Top Bottom