Looking for trip destination recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jelgan

New
Reaction score
Hi, a few friends and I just got our open water certification and are trying to decide where to go on our first major trip. After some initial research its looking like Cozumel would suit our needs pretty well, but I was hoping to get some more experienced opinions to confirms this, or possibly suggest better options. Here's our situation:

3 newly certified OW divers going on first scuba trip in May 2015, accompanied by 2 significant others who do not scuba
Looking for area that has at least some sites that can be done via snorkel or scuba to bring the significant others along
Prefer to stay in an all-inclusive resort with non-scuba activities available (spa/etc) for the significant others on days they don't want to snorkel

It looks to me like Cozumel is the best option with these requirements while still keeping the price point fairly low, so I'm looking for thoughts about our options in Cozumel, but also any other options people might recommend in the greater Caribbean region.

Thanks!

My husband and I stayed at the Sunscape Sabor and had a very nice time. It was all inclusive and had a decent beach and good food. There were kayaks, snorkeling off the beach, basketball/volleyball in the pool, dance lessons, spanish classes- those sorts of things. Movies at night, and shows some night. To be honest, since we were diving, we didn't do much of any of it. If you want more luxurious next door at Secrets looked great, but it was above our price point.

We were newly certified and found Cozumel to be WONDERFUL. I've heard a number of dive ops will also book with snorkelers, and go to slightly shallower reefs and have the snorkelers go overhead of the divers. Or your snorkelers can go to Money Bar, or Chankanaab, or on a snorkel boat through the AI resort while you go out diving.

Have a look at the La Romana area of the Dominican Republic...great diving with little to no current. A couple of easy shipwrecks to explore with decent snorkeling right off the beach at a few of the all-inclusive resorts. Very affordable too! If you go that route contact John at ScubaFun and he will hook you up with great diving and a couple of really cool excursions to an off-shore island for snorkeling and lunch. Feel free to message me if you need any other information (I have been there 5 times...I love it).

Cozumel is definitely a destination that is great for divers and non divers.

There is also great snorkeling and diving but they are not always logistically feasible to do both at the same time. Though it certainly is possible it requires some planning.

Because all diving is drift diving it does not just follow that you can dive with the snorkelers snorkeling above you. Currents might differ at different depths and certainly on your deep dives snorkeling will not be fun. Snorkelers would also need to be accompanied by a dive master as the boat captain cannot necessarily keep track of both snorkelers and divers at the same time. On the other hand because there are 5 of you you could arrange for your own boat with a DM for the 3 divers and a DM for 2 snorkelers and as long you were ok with two shallow dives you could all remain together for the duration. Speak to one of the "non cattle boat operators" of which the options are huge and I am sure they could work something out for you. Given that you are all new divers it might not be a bad thing to be limited to shallower dives.

If you do, do AI resorts do yourself a huge favor and make sure you do go into town a couple of times and try some of the well known restaurants and the square on Sat and Sun night especially are a lot of fun.

Craig

---------- Post added August 25th, 2014 at 04:41 PM ----------

As to other places: Are there other places, other than Cozumel?

JK...This is the Coz board after all and a more ardent crowd you won't easily find. Seriously though Bonaire would definitely meet your requirements where shore diving and snorkeling rule. Resorts are not as nice though. JMO.

I strongly suggest getting in an AOW course before you go. You can read some of the Cozumel threads on ScubaBoard discussing the issue, but in short, some Cozumel dive sites can be pretty deep. Also, plan for each diver to have an SMB in case you get separated from the group (unlikely, but a precautionary measure) since this makes you way easier to see at a distance at the surface. And I believe in the AOW course you can get a bit of experience using one.

A few extra training dives might also build some confidence. Not a bad thing at all.

Richard.

Rich agree with what you say about the complexity of dive sites in Coz. However, I am not sure that rushing into an AOW course would make their diving any safer and in fact on the contrary could potentially make them and their dive op feel that they can handle a site that they are not ready for. I think by hiring a boat for themselves they can stick to milder dive sights and keep their snorkelers happy as well.

I'd contact an op. directly about the issue of snorkelers and divers. This has come up before, not specific to Cozumel. The problem is that scuba divers generally want dive sites over 20 feet deep, and snorkelers who aren't into long-distance snorkeling often prefer sites that are very shallow by scuba diver standards.

It would be interesting to know just how far off the bottom one can snorkel, even with good viz., before it's like 'Where are my binoculars?'

Richard.

My wife and I did our first OW dives (Nov 2013) in Cozumel after getting certified inland (May 2013). Cozumel is AWESOME. We stayed at the Cozumel Palace (All Inclusive) and used the $1500 of resort credits to dive with the inhouse dive Op, AquaSafari - it literally cost us $13.25 a piece to do 2 tanks dives for 5 days!! AWESOME DEAL. The resort was great (as all Palace resorts are) and the staff at AquaSafari took excellent care of us. Felt safe the entire time.
I will say that the current is something you notice (on some dives), however the watchful from the Dive Master will help to keep you calm and confident in your training.

Roatan would be the next logical destination if you're looking for an alternative to Cozumel. Both offer many of your requirements, however the air fares to either may be a factor depending upon where you are coming from, as you listed inexpensive as an important factor, and how much hassle you are willing to put up with for economy as Roatan you will fly into Roatan, but Cozumel many have to fly into Cancun rather than Cozumel to save money and do the bag drag thing.

If you haven't been to Cozumel yet, it's as good a place as any to experience new open water diving.

As suggested the Keys are a good choice for inexpensive if you're in the US already, nice too to start your diving careers having to plan, execute and navigate your own dives as typically the dive masters don't get in the water with you like they do in Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom