best local tequila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK, heading back to the island soon. I want to bring home some really good tequila, but I wan't something not available here. I mean seriously, why go all the way to Mexico and buy the exact same thing I can get at the liquor store down the road.

So, whats a great local brand and where can I get it?

I do not believe there are any locally distilled Tequila’s on the island. If I am wrong someone please correct me. Odds are you can probable find top shelf Tequila cheaper in the US. That being said Mateo’s (DM / instructor from BA and owner of O’Hanas) wife Angie has come up with a Peanut Butter Tequila lacquer. It is to die for. I screwed up 25 years ago and introduced my wife to Bailey’s, she will turn her nose up on imitations, she has me mulling it home (legal).
This is different, it is kind of like a cross between Bailey’s and Kahlua but tastes like peanut butter. I know what’s in it but I can’t blend my own properly. It’s great as a shot but others swear it is better poured over a brownie. They are working to get it in the US but they currently sell it at O’hanas on 5th Av north of the square between 6th and 8th.
He also has a selection of premium sipping Tequila’s but please do not take a shot $25 super premium Tequila and ask for it in a Margarita. He would do it but the other patrons would cry.

Doesn't have to be specifically from Coz, but something really good that's not available in the states.

Tequila can be produced only in Jalisco (the state of) and limited regions in the states of Guanajuato, Michoacán, Nayarit, and Tamaulipas. None of those are particularly close to Coz (a bit like trying to find a good cheese steak in OKC :D ).

If you're after the 'really' good stuff, stick with Añejo or Extra Añejo and let your palate be your guide. I remember the good old days when Cabrito Reposado could be had for $1.00 a bottle

Best sipping Tequila = Gran Centenario Reposado
We got our first taste of it, and bought a bottle, back in 2000 when we visited the island. Tasted it at Los Cinco Soles when they used to have a tasting bar.
Our local stores didn't carry it, but we requested they try. After a few years of asking, they got it in. Now all the local stores carry it.
We have a Tequila Bar in our house, seriously this is our favorite and we have tried many.

My other favorite is carried at most stores back in the states, Herradura, either Anejo or Reposado

Single Barrel Casa Noble Extra Anjeo. Couldn't find any last time we were down, we did get a bottle last time we were in Playa. It's pricy but it's by far the best tequila we've ever had.

doesn't really matter what brand you choose, as much as the 'TYPE' or 'AGE' of it.

Blanco, white tequila is the least aged tequila, and what is used most for mixed drinks.

Reposado, is medium aged tequila. a color, smoother than blanco, sometimes used in high end mixed drinks, but best as a sipping tequila. A lot of nice restaurants use it for marinades

Añejo, the most aged. Dark, super smooth. In my humble opinion, should ONLY be consumed straight, as a sipping tequila.

I think there actually even more age levels, but these are the basic 3.

Matt and Angie at 'Ohana Bar have a very good selection of tequilas. Stop by there and sample some of their selection to help narrow it down.

I've never been there, but there is a 'tequila factory' along the trans-highway. They do tours and tastings.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom