Blast from the past, NY times article, Scuba Club 16 years ago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I stumbled across this article in the NY times while researching the main land for an upcoming trip.

16 year old article about coming to Cozumel and staying at Galapogos Inn(Scuba Club Cozumel ) six night dive package for $615.00

Taking 'less than an hour' getting to the reef on their dive boat that was a catamaran.

Mentions their dive master Manuel Briceno, is he still working on the island?

A fun read, mentions a few places by name : Karen's Grill and Pizza, El Moro, Scaramouche, Playa Bonita Beach Club....

Meeting the Residents Of Cozumel's Reef - A scuba vacation off the Yucatan brings a diver face to face with a hungry grouper, a shy octopus and a nosy barracuda - NYTimes.com

The Dive Cat is still used, but it isn't really a catamaran like you are thinking.
photos here: Scuba-Cozumel Dive Boats

Jim Lyle can tell you about the DMs as he has been going to SCC for over 20 years, he knows them all. I know that Jesus and Ariel have both been with SCC for over 15 years now.

That was my first exposure to Cozumel. It was obvious then that it had a faithful following yet I have never gone back due to the all-inclusive aspect and no option for outside dive ops.

Manuel, like so many other dive masters, is still working at Scuba Club Cozumel! He's a wonderful dive guide, loves to dive, graceful in the water, and knows where all the critters are.

Manuel, like so many other dive masters, is still working at Scuba Club Cozumel! He's a wonderful dive guide, loves to dive, graceful in the water, and knows where all the critters are.

That's pretty cool. Somebody should forward him the article, I'd bet he would get a kick out it.

Gee the price hasn't gone up too much and Ron it isn't AI. Packages include breakfast but you can opt out of lunch & dinner.

I think they are all hurting today due to the loss of Juan yesterday. It was such a tragic accident. He was such a sweetheart.

Betty

Gee the price hasn't gone up too much and Ron it isn't AI. Packages include breakfast but you can opt out of lunch & dinner.

I think they are all hurting today due to the loss of Juan yesterday. It was such a tragic accident. He was such a sweetheart.

Betty

???? What happened?

So sad. Juan was a very nice quiet guy.

I used to work at my local area dive shop and filling tanks was my least favorite thing to do. I refused to fill more than one tank, because it looked suspicious to me. My boss always told me I was being silly. Okay, I will be silly... To me, that is the most dangerous part of diving. We have all seen tanks that have exploded (our dive shop had one sitting in the lobby as a display). It is weird how such thick metal can be fine under intense pressure....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom