Good news! Parking meters gone!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Graduado

Contributor
Reaction score
Around noon today they removed all the parking meters along the malecon.

IMG_1778.jpg

Well maybe yes, maybe no. They were a pain and I understand if you got nailed it was a big hassle, but you could FIND a parking space easily on the malecon.

I found them easy to deal with as well, but the real problem was with the many, many tourists who were unfamiliar with the meters (which for many months did not have any signage) and who parked without seeing the machine or any sign nearby and then got booted. Ask the rental agencies about the mess it caused. Pedro Hermosillo tried to put stenciled signs along the curb, but he didn't have any budget for the job, so it didn't work out very well and the paint wore off pretty quick.

Yea, I am sure that was true. And the sunny side ones could be hard to read. Parking for first time visitors is challenging enough. Like which holidays allow for parking on the side walk, which red zones REALLY mean don't park here, if the tag on your rental is ALREADY gone can you park anywhere? etc etc... :)

The malecon looked nicer though without being packed full of cars. (just taxis. And they all match at least.) And if the beach on the malecon comes to fruition, it could be worse?

Side Note: you know EG, you should put your website in your signature here. When you say something intelligent, you probably would get a click though.

You are probably right about the website signature. I'll work on it... as well as coming up with something intelligent to say!

I read on another site that you can park from 6p-9a.
Not sure where we can park when staying at downtown hotels now.
The palm trees look nice from the picture.

I read on another site that you can park from 6p-9a.
Not sure where we can park when staying at downtown hotels now.

They have come a long way since November 2005...

---------- Post added August 31st, 2014 at 02:05 PM ----------

So, does this mean we cannot park on the Malecon between 9 AM and 6 PM?

The cocos on the malecon have always been a come-and-go kinda thing. Here is a postcard from back in the day. The ones they planted after that died from the Lethal Yellowing disease, caused by Haplaxius crudus. The ones they planted after that were hit with the Red Palm Mite (Raoiella indica).

Did you know cocos are not indigenous to the island? Not even to Mexico. They are from the Southeast Asia and were brought to Mexico for the first time by the Spanish in 1549. Coconut palms didn't make it to Quintana Roo until the 1700s.

waterfront 002.jpg

EverythingCozumel.com maps, books, and well-researched articles about Cozumel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom