Hotel Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

duke_indiana

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all, Im looking for advise on this hotel. Me and my wife (non diver) will be returning to Coz in late Feb. we have stayed at Villa Blanca before and had a good time. We are thinking about staying closer to town as we like to go out in the evening. my wife would like options do do while I'm diving in the mornings. Nothing fancy maybe a spa one day and drinks by the pool the others. We may have more non diving friends coming also. We saw they have nice priced AI packages that would help the non diving crew. I guess my questions are, Is this a nice place to stay? is the AI package worth it (we like going out to eat in town for dinner but having the drinks would be great for the non divers)?

Any info on this place will be helpfull

My wife & I stay there & have many times. I dive she doesn't even swim. We always take the AI option & think it's worth what we pay. We should be there a few weeks before your trip depending on just what I hit on the seat sale game once Westjet runs it. I have an extensive photo tour with links to my Tripadvisor reviews here.

Picasa Web Albums - Larry - Hotel Cozumel...

It's convenient to town, and a solid 3 -3 1/2 star place in Canadian / US terms.

I have stayed there for most of my trips to Cozumel. My wife is a non diver. While the food isn't gourmet, breakfast is good and lunch isn't bad. We always eat dinner in town. It is a nice walk to town or just grab a cab, it isn't that expensive. The pool is said to be the biggest on the island though I have never been in it, I use the bigger pool across the street.:D It is clean and the service is good. I would stay there again without hesitation. I haven't stayed at Villa Blanca so I can't compare the 2.

Most dive ops will pick you up at their peer. The in house dive op, Dive Paradise is good and has been in business a long time. I did my first ocean dives with them. There are a lot of other ops on the island that all have different levels of service.

We used to stay at the Presidente. They raised their prices, so we moved to the Hotel Cozumel. (Then we moved to renting villas, then to owning.)

The Hotel Cozumel is no Presidente, but it's far less expensive and in my view you get more for each dollar. It's reasonably nice, well-maintained, has a good staff, and we like the location.

We have friends who stay there often and always get the AI option. Even after we convinced them to go to restaurants with us for all of their meals they still thought it was worth it for drinks and snacks. I've never eaten or drunk anything from there, but they seemed to like it fine.

This is still where we put up family if too many people are on the island to stay at the house. One of the reasons is that it's 3 blocks from the house, but mostly it's a combination of price and amenities.

I have only stayed at Hotel Cozumel once, in July 2012 for the Scuba Board Cozumel Invasion. I liked the Hotel - big, comfortable rooms, good AC (I had Garden View - I would NOT pay extra for "Ocean View", as your view will mostly be of a parking lot, and you'll have more traffic noise), good service. I HATED the food (DISCLAIMER: I'm a foodie with high standards; if all you are looking for is nutrition, without regard to quality or variety, you might disagre). Breakfast was OK, though the coffee was swill. Lunch and dinner bordered on inedible. I would gladly stay at Hotel Cozumel again, but would never opt for the AI (as an aside, I am NOT a heavy drinker; if you are, you MIGHT get your AI money's worth at the bar while still going out for lunches and dinners). The Dive Op is Dive Paradise. It was certainly adequate, and I would use it again, but it is not high on my list of preferred Ops. If I were to stay at Hotel Cozumel, I'd most likely use one of the boutique dive ops, Aldora, Blue XTSea, Tres Pelicanos or one of the others, in preference to Dive Paradise. Really depends on what you are looking for from a Dive Op.

I have only stayed at Hotel Cozumel once, in July 2012 for the Scuba Board Cozumel Invasion. I liked the Hotel - big, comfortable rooms, good AC (I had Garden View - I would NOT pay extra for "Ocean View", as your view will mostly be of a parking lot, and you'll have more traffic noise), good service. I HATED the food (DISCLAIMER: I'm a foodie with high standards; if all you are looking for is nutrition, without regard to quality or variety, you might disagre). Breakfast was OK, though the coffee was swill. Lunch and dinner bordered on inedible. I would gladly stay at Hotel Cozumel again, but would never opt for the AI (as an aside, I am NOT a heavy drinker; if you are, you MIGHT get your AI money's worth at the bar while still going out for lunches and dinners). The Dive Op is Dive Paradise. It was certainly adequate, and I would use it again, but it is not high on my list of preferred Ops. If I were to stay at Hotel Cozumel, I'd most likely use one of the boutique dive ops, Aldora, Blue XTSea, Tres Pelicanos or one of the others, in preference to Dive Paradise. Really depends on what you are looking for from a Dive Op.

But it does have the biggest pool in Cozumel.

It's a pretty decent resort for the price. The only negative we came away with after staying there was that if you're on the AI program on a trip longer than 5-7 days, the menu gets repetitive.

Stick with the breakfast and occasional lunch and you'll be fine. I've always liked this place for it's pool, pleasant beach club, and proximity to town. It's far enough away from downtown to remain fairly quiet and most dive ops will pick you up there. Standard rooms are comfy and spacious enough. Wireless can be spotty, though in our recent trips, it seems to have improved.

cheers!

It really depends on the price difference, and you didn't say did you? Looking at Hotelcozumel.com.mx tonight as a single, there is only $12/night difference between Room & Breakfast vs AI, but for two it's $48/night difference. Going out for lunches & dinner both can be a drag - and for lazy me it's not an easy walk to town, so if you try to figure what they would charge you for two lunches a day, the drinks you might want, and the supper you don't feel like going to town for, then $48/night for AI is tempting.

Correct in don't pay for the Ocean view as that's a rip off, but the food, coffee & drinks were ok with me. I did skip a lot of choices, but there were plenty of choices to find something I liked. I did tip a little at each meal, a buck or two just for myself, and that seems to help since the hotel advertises "gratuities included." I guess some don't.

I have stayed at Hotel Coz and it was pretty good. The beds are hard so we now bring a memory mattress pad we buy on Overstock.com and then just leave it. We are out about $50...which is about $7 per night and well worth it.

I stayed at the Barracuda once...just once. Enough said there.

Back
Top Bottom