Aqua Lung Zuma travel BC and Micron travel regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lovedivingalways

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My dive shop has a package sale that includes the Aqua Lung Zuma travel BC and Micron travel regulator. They are incredibly light and have good reviews. Has anybody tried them or have an opinion? I have always rented, not wanting to haul, wash and maintain. But, I am getting a little skeptical of renting! Thanks

Both are very good. I "stress-tested" a Zuma in all kinds of conditions on a 4 week dive trip and never had a problem.

I have both the zuma and a micron for travel to warm waters and like them both. The micron is lightweight and a good breather. The zuma, for me is comfortable and a solid travel bc. I can pack up my whole kit minus fins in a single carryon. I'd always suggest that you try before you buy because opinions on fit and comfort for dive gear can be pretty subjective.

My other half has had the Microns for 4 years or so, no problems, they do the job. Very light weight.

I've no personal experience of the Zuma, but have seen a few around on my travels. Again, very light. I would be a little concerned about robustness, but that would go for all lightweight BCDs.

I've been diving with the Zuma for several years. I had a bad problem of it riding up on me. I added a crotch strap and now it is fabulous ( I now know I should have been sold the next size down). It does put you a bit face down on the surface, with the back flotation, but is very stable when handling my camera rig. I love the weight and how it just rolls up when packing it in my suitcase.

I have had a Sea Quest "travel bc" for several years, (same company as AL, but I think a "lower line" than Aqua Lung). Hopefully the AL Zuma is a better quality.

I lost one of integrated weight pouches on my first dive trip with the unit & caught the second one as it fell out and started to drift away.

the pouch design is not very good, just some Velcro to hold the weight bag in place (and not very high quality Velcro at that), so when I got horizontal, they would start to 'sag' out of their enclosure. I was fighting them most of the trip and one fell out and was lost and the other I caught as it was falling out, on one of my last dives of that trip.

I'm old school and prefer a belt anyway.

Mine has an integrated mesh bag that is attached to the bottom of the vest. When you fold the vest up, it fits in the bag for traveling & when diving the bag stuffs up in the back of the vest & provides some nice back cushioning.

It's NOT Tech Vest by any means, the D-rings are plastic & it doesn't have any extra rings to attach lanyards and such to.

Overall it does it's job, the vest has plenty of lift for my 6'-4" 250lb frame. Doesn't ride up on me, but then again...big frame. :-D

I've not dived with a Zuma but my son has until he recently outgrew it and got a ScubaPro GO like his mom and dad. The GO has better weight pockets,more attachments points and pockets. The weight pockets on the Zuma are also a pain in the a** to get into the BCD on a crowded dive boat when the bcd is set up. I've cursed many times fiddling, jiggling until the "click".

I can't comment on the Zuma but I have had a Micron for at least 4 yrs and love it! Very comfortable and lightweight.

I've had my Zuma BC for awhile and have found it to be great for travel and I traveled a lot with it. Mine is the first model that came out and I have over 300 hours on it. I did have a problem with the bladder leaking but again that was after 300 hours and it was fixed immediately under warranty. My only complaint was that it had no D rings on the upper half but I knew that when I purchased it, the new models have been fixed with D rings on the upper half. I've used it mostly for warm water but have also used it in cold water I really think it's a great BC. I use an Atomic Regulator, SUUNTO Dive computer with transmitter and the Atomic ST1 titanium in place of an octopus. All this gave me a very light weight travel setup that was so easy to get around with. I hope this helps [emoji3].

I have had a Sea Quest "travel bc" for several years, (same company as AL, but I think a "lower line" than Aqua Lung). Hopefully the AL Zuma is a better quality.

I lost one of integrated weight pouches on my first dive trip with the unit & caught the second one as it fell out and started to drift away.

the pouch design is not very good, just some Velcro to hold the weight bag in place (and not very high quality Velcro at that), so when I got horizontal, they would start to 'sag' out of their enclosure. I was fighting them most of the trip and one fell out and was lost and the other I caught as it was falling out, on one of my last dives of that trip.

I'm old school and prefer a belt anyway.

Mine has an integrated mesh bag that is attached to the bottom of the vest. When you fold the vest up, it fits in the bag for traveling & when diving the bag stuffs up in the back of the vest & provides some nice back cushioning.

It's NOT Tech Vest by any means, the D-rings are plastic & it doesn't have any extra rings to attach lanyards and such to.

Overall it does it's job, the vest has plenty of lift for my 6'-4" 250lb frame. Doesn't ride up on me, but then again...big frame. :-D

My Zuma, which is first generation, has plastic buckle locks on the weight pouches, not that I use them. I prefer to dive with a weight belt. I keep one pocket in, for last minute adjustments and have a large sea sausage living in the other empty weight pocket hole.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom