First trip to Scuba Club Cozumel - questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8jab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I just secured a spot and bought airfare for a week at SCC in February. Yea!! I've been diving in Cozumel a couple of times, but only when our cruise ship stopped for the day.

I have a couple of questions, and hoped the SCC regulars might have some info.

I'm arriving a day before the rest of my group, so I can take a refresher course and shore dive. It's been a couple of years since my last dive.

So...

1. If I can't get a room at SCC for the extra night, what is nearby (really close) where I could get a single night stay?

2. Since I'll be there first, I might be able to request a certain room or general location. What's better?

1. Upstairs or Downstairs?
  2. Are any more/less shaded (I like my room cool, for sleeping)?
  3. Any location bad for noise? I don't mind the normal brouhaha, but don't want to be over a disco either.
  4. Are their other convenience factors, some rooms being much closer to the food/dock/shop/lockers?

4. I might be single-occupancy. Does SCC have a special room/building they favor for single occupancy?

3. Wifi will be my only communication method (facetime/skype), and I have orders from wife for daily updates. How good is the wifi? Any rooms that are better/worse? I don't want to have to go to the lobby to chat with the family.

Any other advice? Guidance? Tips?

Thanks!!!

Sorry I can't answer questions 2, 4 and 3 since I have never stayed there. For #1, you might try Hotel Cozumel which is pretty much across the street. Down the road a couple of minutes of walking is Blue Angel and Villa Blanca. I would start by trying one of these three.

You haven't said what date you need the room for but be aware that mid Feb is Carnaval (Mardi Gras) & room rates & availability may be a problem. As Marg has said Hotel Cozumel is right across the street and a 100 yards south of SCC. The beach club is right next door to SCC's

I'm going the week of February 21.

That's AFTER Carnaval which should help.

It has been a few years since I was there but headed back in January. When I was there the wifi was ok but could get overrun. My guess is that it is improved. As far as room choice goes I don't think it makes a big difference as it is a pretty small resort. It is very quiet so you should be fine there. The rooms all have AC so you can cool it down for sleep. You will have a great time.

Hi all,

I just secured a spot and bought airfare for a week at SCC in February. Yea!! I've been diving in Cozumel a couple of times, but only when our cruise ship stopped for the day.

I have a couple of questions, and hoped the SCC regulars might have some info.

I'm arriving a day before the rest of my group, so I can take a refresher course and shore dive. It's been a couple of years since my last dive.

So...

1. If I can't get a room at SCC for the extra night, what is nearby (really close) where I could get a single night stay?

2. Since I'll be there first, I might be able to request a certain room or general location. What's better?

1. Upstairs or Downstairs?
  2. Are any more/less shaded (I like my room cool, for sleeping)?
  3. Any location bad for noise? I don't mind the normal brouhaha, but don't want to be over a disco either.
  4. Are their other convenience factors, some rooms being much closer to the food/dock/shop/lockers?

4. I might be single-occupancy. Does SCC have a special room/building they favor for single occupancy?

3. Wifi will be my only communication method (facetime/skype), and I have orders from wife for daily updates. How good is the wifi? Any rooms that are better/worse? I don't want to have to go to the lobby to chat with the family.

Any other advice? Guidance? Tips?

Thanks!!!

I have been to Scuba Club 4 times now, and going back in March.

As MMM said, Hotel Cozumel is close by, along with Blue Angel and Villa Blanca. Other accommodations are available closer to downtown San Miguel.

You may be able to request a specific room, but there are no guarantees. No bad rooms, but you may wish one away from the main street. There is no disco or other similar facility there, so no worries about loud music or brouhaha's. In response to question 4, everything is close. Main retail dive shop is right across the street. All diving is usually arranged with the on site dive shop. No special room or building for single occupancy. I don't take a lap top with me, but have heard that wifi is best in the restaurant area.

The only tips I can give you, are listen to the divemaster, and have a great time. You will really enjoy the resort, the staff, and the diving. Don't forget to post a trip report. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Have fun and dive safe !!

Divegoose
I

Wifi is very good and you can connect inside most rooms. As said above, best reception is in the bar. Note, the internet gets slow in the evening when the locals get off work. Ask at the desk when you check in for the router's password.

Check out my trip reports/pictures from SCC below.

Take a small lock for the gear lockers. Take small denomination bills for cabs/tips/etc. Take a mesh bag to carry your dive gear to the boat. Have a wonderful time.

PM me if you have any more questions.

Hi GR8
We’ve been to SCC 5 times, and are neophytes compared with people we meet there that have been once or twice a year for 15 years and more.
SCC has a “no reserved rooms” policy that we haven’t been able to beat – but you can request something when you are physically on site. We have stayed in different rooms every time just because of what was available when we arrived.
While the rooms that we have stayed in all had the same amenities & quality, I preferred some locations.
There are 2 ground level rooms facing the ocean right down by the restaurant/bar building. The view is great, they have nice balconies & are close to the dock – which is super convenient if you ever have to go back to the room for forgotten clothing/equipment. The dock itself is across the “beach” and there is no particular noise or traffic. My favorite rooms for sure.
The top of the same building unit (the leg of the “L” that runs from the entrance down to the ocean) is a large patio with 6 or 8 hotel units at the back and one unit at the front facing the ocean. It’s on the 3rd or 4th level and if you don’t mind the climb, that front unit is a killer. Super view, nice room – and that big patio is a great place to hang out, dry gear, whatever. I like the rooms at the back of that patio as well – very quiet and again the patio is fun to hang out.
My least favorite rooms are 2nd and 3rd level in the main block with the entrance and office just because they are farther from the dock and you might think twice before saying “I’ll just go back to the room”.
There are ground level rooms facing the restaurant courtyard and ground level rooms facing the dive shop courtyard. We haven’t stayed there and they might be fun – maybe a bit busy particularly on the dive shop side when they are moving tanks, but very convenient – and great for dive group congeniality.

We absolutely love SCC. Have a wonderful time.

Back
Top Bottom