christmas diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vikky

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone know a good way to figure out which shops are open during christmas without calling them all? I will be there 22-25th, and was hoping to dive with the same folks during the entire time, but am having a hard time finding people who will operate on the 25th.
suggestions to dive operations are much appreciated, this is my first time going to cozumel. To make matters worse, I am a newbie :)

thanks in advance!

Being a newbie means that you have a lot to look forward to seeing. The colors of the reefs and fishies. Turtles. Nurse sharks. Splendid toadfish. Maybe an eagle ray.

I just called Aldora and they will dive on Christmas but will leave later (900 AM or so).

aldora.com

Where are you staying? It might be helpful to recommend some dive-ops that are close to you. I'm headed there Dec. 20 - 26th. We'll be doing a mix of diving and sight seeing. I'm using the house dive-op at Casa Del Mar as the GF doesn't dive.

K3:
Where are you staying? It might be helpful to recommend some dive-ops that are close to you. I'm headed there Dec. 20 - 26th. We'll be doing a mix of diving and sight seeing. I'm using the house dive-op at Casa Del Mar as the GF doesn't dive.

I am staying near the passenger ferry terminal downtown at Hotel Plaza Cozumel.
i was not planning to rent a car

You will probably have to contact them all. They don't post this stuff on their websites and I don't have any recent experience as the guy I dive with regularly doesn't go out Christmas Day. And he's Jewish!

About 10 years, I dived on Christmas Day with Pelagic Ventures one year and Blue Angel on another year. They started much later in the day than their usual times and the latter charged a non-refundable deposit and a much higher price than normal. You will be expected to tip very heavily.

You also may not be diving with the regular crew; might be free-lancers as most local ops like to give their regular staff the day off to spend with their families. Christmas Day is VERY quiet in town (usually due to the festivities that go on late, late) and things get off to a very late start, if businesses open at all.

I am staying near the passenger ferry terminal downtown at Hotel Plaza Cozumel.
i was not planning to rent a car

Have you you talked with Aldora?

When I was there over Christmas a few years back our op did not go out but let us grab some tanks for shore diving.

I am going to dive in Cozumel December 21-27 with deepexposuredivecenter.com.
They open all days this week.

I just called Aldora and they will dive on Christmas but will leave later (900 AM or so).

aldora.com

If you don't want to make a lot of calls and just go with a very reputable shop, you could be done with Ron Lee's statement here! I've never been diving with Aldora, but have read so many great things. I'm sure it's a good decision for a newbie too, because you won't just be a number to them.

I would suggest hiring a private dive master for the first couple days if you're new. It will make it SO much more comfortable for you.

You can walk to the Aldora pier. Aldora uses it and I believe that Blue XTSea and Living Underwater do as well.

The Aqua Safari pier is a short distance south and walkable.

Dive Paradise may leave from Hotel Barracuda which is a longer walk but still viable.

If you want to taxi to the caleta that opens up a lot more dive ops.

Unless you have been told that dive op X is the best in the world and they leave from the caleta, you have at least five within walking distance.

I know that Aldora stops at a beach club between dives and Blue XTSea and Living Underwater do as well (verify). That gives you beach time that you may not get otherwise.

One advantage using Aldora is that they can dive the east side if the port is closed due to winds. That is a possibility during the winter months.

Using a private divemaster on at least your first day is a good idea. You can hone your buoyancy skills, learn how to dive in currents, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom