Any espresso before first dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZjohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there a espresso cafe open early in the morning before getting on the boat first thing in the morning?
I'm staying downtown and diving with Aldora so I think the boat leaves between 7:30 and 8:00.

I know Starbucks isn't open but hope someplace is. I know its Mexico and all but give a guy a break and let me have something decent to wake up on besides the swill they call coffee at the hotel.
Cheers,
John

Yes, there's a coffee shop just off Melgar that a lot of DMs hang out at. I forget the name... Coffee Bean maybe? Also Bisbee's on 11th just east of Melgar (if it's still in business) opens early.

Coffee Mak on the corner of 30 Av and Calle 11 has good espresso and I think they open at 7. They put too much (i.e., some) cinnamon on their cappuccino, but their real issue is that, at least when I went, they weren't very fast.

Distance-wise you're probably better off at El Coffee Cozumel on Calle 3 Sur just off Melgar next to Pizza Hut if you just want coffee. I suspect that's what's been referred to as "Coffee Bean". They do their own roasting of decent Chiapas beans and pull a respectable shot.

If you want breakfast with your coffee, La Cozumeleña on 10 Av and Calle 3 Sur has great breakfasts and an espresso machine (recently, though, they seem to have been using a Nespresso system) and opens at 7. They're fast enough for a pre-dive breakfast.

Cozazón Contento on 10 Av and Calle 2 Norte is a very pleasant little place run by the former operators of Del Museo. They have a good espresso machine and very nice breakfasts including some great healthy choices. They open at 7 and should allow you to get to the boat in time full of breakfast and espresso.

Panadería Zermatt on 5 Av and Calle 4 Norte has pastries and an espresso machine that, every time I've been there, has been out of operation. They open at 7.

There are others, but those are the only places with which I have personal experience that might meet your criteria.

Personally, I have a source for really impressive beans roasted in Playa del Carmen and make my own espresso at the house, but since you'll never catch me up that early you're on your own.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your help. I knew I could start my morning there with a smile before getting wet.
Cheers,
John

I would verify the dive meeting time. I have NEVER had it been stated at "between 730 and 800 AM."

730 AM at the downtown pier.

I typically get breakfast TO GO at Rock n Java and eat it while sitting on the pier waiting to board the boat.

I would verify the dive meeting time. I have NEVER had it been stated at "between 730 and 800 AM."
Had a typo, should have been "or" not "and".
I'm half way to Cozumel now. First thing planned when I land is stop at Aldora and get the official times of the morning and afternoon dives and sign my life away and give them my gear. 2nd thing is to check in to hotel. 3rd is find the espresso shop on 3 cal and check their official open time. 4th thing is to jump on Aldora's afternoon boat to make some bubbles :)
Cheers,
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom