• A little bit but Imodium cured me

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • A lot but I could still dive

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Ruined my vacation

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Ingersoll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Another poster in another thread was trash talking Mexico/Cozumel and claimed that 90% of the people he knew that went got sick. So what is the right percentage?

Never - but then, I've only been there 3 times.

90%?! Let me guess, he's never been there, doesn't know anyone who has, but his mother's hairdresser has a cousin who girlfiend's boyfriend got sick. :bandit_2:

Tim Ingersoll:
Another poster in another thread was trash talking Mexico/Cozumel and claimed that 90% of the people he knew that went got sick. So what is the right percentage?
Well I don't know how to figure a percentage or even if it would be relavent but I can tell I just retruned from Mexico (Playa Del Carmen) with some friends. There were 14 of us in all including three kids. Of that number two got sick. The smallest child was sick for a few hours and one of the adults was sick enough that his wife called the hotel Doctor who ended up giving him a shot and some meds which cleared him right up. So I guess 2 out of 14 which works out to around 14%-15% if that means anything.

DandyDon:
Never - but then, I've only been there 3 times.

90%?! Let me guess, he's never been there, doesn't know anyone who has, but his mother's hairdresser has a cousin who girlfiend's boyfriend got sick. :bandit_2:
With proof like that who's to argue. LOL

2 trips. 1st trip- spent a week living in the jungle at Nohoch, didn't get sick. 2nd trip- stayed at an all inclusive on Cozumel, and came home with a wicked case of Giardia.....

I think it's a crapshoot.

Go to Mexico once or twice a year... Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Acapulco.......

With a large group of people. Almost no sickness ever. I was sick once, but I suspect had more to do with pregnancy than Mexican illness.

We don't even worry about it or think about it anymore... not an issue if you're the least bit careful (not obsessive!)

Eat, drink and be well! oh... and dive deep! :wink:

I used to spend a month down there every year; ALWAYS got sick if I drank Tecate, even just a single can/bottle, washing the tops had no effect.
For disinfectant purposes, stick with the $1.25/litre rum (bring your own bottle for refills), that way any illness will be self-inflicted. :wink:
Use habaneros, & squeeze lime on everything

I haven't got sick yet (knock on wood) in Mexico. I've strayed far from the street vendors and stuck with bottled water. A good friend of mine got her vacation ruined by a shrimp salad at the Aventura Palace in Playa del Carmen. I figure, stay away from the raw vegetables, stick with the fresh seafood and I'll be fine.

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver

Been alot (just got back yesterday)! Don't drink tap water, but I usually don't worry about the ice - most of it is bagged in the larger cities and resorts. Occasionally I'll ask. I drink micheladas quite a bit and normally they are served with ice, so if I forget to add "sin hielos", I either have to drink fast, or risk the bug. I do avoid sushi/ceviche in most places I'm not sure about - of course, I do that state-side as well.

Remember - it is usually a "different" bug, not necessarily a bad one, that can cause some people to have a reaction. I've heard if you go alot, you can build up a tolerance. Of course, I work with a Mexican that gets sick when he comes here, then gets sick when he goes home!

Who knows - but I do know it is based upon the individual.

Regardless, I *always* travel with immodium...

No matter what the % is, try to make everyone think that Cozumel is a place where everyone (expecially pod people) get sick. Pass it on.

Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom