Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

View Poll Results: Have you ever gotten sick in Cozumel?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

57 65.52%
  • A little bit but Imodium cured me

18 20.69%
  • A lot but I could still dive

11 12.64%
  • Ruined my vacation

1 1.15%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever gotten sick in Mexico?

Registered

Is going to Thailand!

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos

Have you ever gotten sick in Mexico?

Another poster in another thread was trash talking Mexico/Cozumel and claimed that 90% of the people he knew that went got sick. So what is the right percentage?
    So I got a tattoo of a turtle on my arm and a woman on the dive boat said "Oooh thats a nice tattoo. Do you like turtles?"

ScubaBoard Supporter

Go Red - Support SB!

Trying to stay out of trouble

One kilometer high on the Texas High Plains
    Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Never - but then, I've only been there 3 times.

90%?! Let me guess, he's never been there, doesn't know anyone who has, but his mother's hairdresser has a cousin who girlfiend's boyfriend got sick. :bandit_2:
    You can test the tanks you breathe or - dive on hope.
    Testing is safer...

Great news for vacation divers who cannot talk themselves into buying a personal CO tank tester!

>> Rent one for a week or longer here <<

Yeah it's just the air we breath - at depth!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ingersoll
    Another poster in another thread was trash talking Mexico/Cozumel and claimed that 90% of the people he knew that went got sick. So what is the right percentage?
    Well I don't know how to figure a percentage or even if it would be relavent but I can tell I just retruned from Mexico (Playa Del Carmen) with some friends. There were 14 of us in all including three kids. Of that number two got sick. The smallest child was sick for a few hours and one of the adults was sick enough that his wife called the hotel Doctor who ended up giving him a shot and some meds which cleared him right up. So I guess 2 out of 14 which works out to around 14%-15% if that means anything.
    "Here's the deal, I'm the best there is, when I wake up in the morning I piss excellence" by Ricky Bobbi

Scott
    NAUI OW Cert.
    TDI Basic Nitrox
    Dry Suit Diver

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Quote Originally Posted by DandyDon
    Never - but then, I've only been there 3 times.

90%?! Let me guess, he's never been there, doesn't know anyone who has, but his mother's hairdresser has a cousin who girlfiend's boyfriend got sick. :bandit_2:
    With proof like that who's to argue. LOL
    "Here's the deal, I'm the best there is, when I wake up in the morning I piss excellence" by Ricky Bobbi

Scott
    NAUI OW Cert.
    TDI Basic Nitrox
    Dry Suit Diver

Registered

Has not set a "status"

2 trips. 1st trip- spent a week living in the jungle at Nohoch, didn't get sick. 2nd trip- stayed at an all inclusive on Cozumel, and came home with a wicked case of Giardia.....

I think it's a crapshoot.
    Come to the darkside..... we have cookies!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    0 - 24

nah....

Go to Mexico once or twice a year... Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Acapulco.......

With a large group of people. Almost no sickness ever. I was sick once, but I suspect had more to do with pregnancy than Mexican illness.

We don't even worry about it or think about it anymore... not an issue if you're the least bit careful (not obsessive!)

Eat, drink and be well! oh... and dive deep!
    :flowerkit: AmyJ
    Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary.
    Peter Minard

www.scubatoys.com

Registered

Commercial, Military, &
    Public Safety Dive Gear Sales

Photos
    I used to spend a month down there every year; ALWAYS got sick if I drank Tecate, even just a single can/bottle, washing the tops had no effect.
    For disinfectant purposes, stick with the $1.25/litre rum (bring your own bottle for refills), that way any illness will be self-inflicted.
    Use habaneros, & squeeze lime on everything
    Your friendly Viking/Poseidon Drysuit dealer.
    Si Tech Valves & DryGlove Ring Systems
    Viking DryGlove Ring Kits
    Drysuit Repair Parts & Glues, PB-300

DIR Practitioner

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999

Iron stomach

I haven't got sick yet (knock on wood) in Mexico. I've strayed far from the street vendors and stuck with bottled water. A good friend of mine got her vacation ruined by a shrimp salad at the Aventura Palace in Playa del Carmen. I figure, stay away from the raw vegetables, stick with the fresh seafood and I'll be fine.

Mel
    PADI Rescue Diver

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Been alot (just got back yesterday)! Don't drink tap water, but I usually don't worry about the ice - most of it is bagged in the larger cities and resorts. Occasionally I'll ask. I drink micheladas quite a bit and normally they are served with ice, so if I forget to add "sin hielos", I either have to drink fast, or risk the bug. I do avoid sushi/ceviche in most places I'm not sure about - of course, I do that state-side as well.

Remember - it is usually a "different" bug, not necessarily a bad one, that can cause some people to have a reaction. I've heard if you go alot, you can build up a tolerance. Of course, I work with a Mexican that gets sick when he comes here, then gets sick when he goes home!

Who knows - but I do know it is based upon the individual.

Regardless, I *always* travel with immodium...
    "The ale cures what ails ye"

"Look, I'm cold, I'm wet, and I'm just plain scared!"

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000+

sick

No matter what the % is, try to make everyone think that Cozumel is a place where everyone (expecially pod people) get sick. Pass it on.

Rich

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast