What can I expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luvs2playy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all, new to diving and SB. Booked my first trip to Cozumel for the middle of December '14 and decided to finally get my dive cert. I'm doing my open water and dry suit in a quarry here. What can i expect? What dive shops do you recommend as I think i would like a small group and we would kind of like to do our own thing.

I'll be the 1st to put their names down---contact Aldora.com,...They have a US number & can give them a call & cuss(&)discuss your particular situation with them......The last 8 years or so when I've gone once or twice a year there, that's who I've used......1st class operation----PLUS, they dive the East side when US cold fronts blow thru & shut down 'regular' CZM diving(have to be very careful of this situation in the winter time diving there.......).......

I am partial to Tres Pelicanos, once they know that you know what you are doing they let you dive your tank, no timed or group 'up and out' together requirements. I have also heard very good things about Liquid blue, Dive with Alison, Living Underwater, BA and a host of other valet / boutique style ops are. Their are a lot of non-cattle boat operations available.

We went with scuba with Alison and she was amazing for beginners.

Keep in mind marine park rules require you dive with a divemaster so you can't really do your own thing, you have to stay with the group. Or you can get a private DM or charter the boat.

cozumel diving is great. Lots to see, warm, great visibility. We liked the light drifts, thankfully didn't have too many heavy ones while we were there. Practice your buoyancy , especially for swim throughs.

Hello all, new to diving and SB. Booked my first trip to Cozumel for the middle of December '14 and decided to finally get my dive cert. I'm doing my open water and dry suit in a quarry here. What can i expect? What dive shops do you recommend as I think i would like a small group and we would kind of like to do our own thing.
You can expect water temperature in the low 80's and the viz to be 50-100'. There are tons of great dive ops on the island, most of which run small (6-8 divers) boats. I am very partial to Blue Angel, both as a hotel and dive op, but there are plenty of options.

Have a great trip.

Where are you staying? Often that will determine the dive operator you will use.

What to expect?

Drift Dives, there is some shore diving available but most of the dives are boat dives
Great visibility, the visibility there is often 100'+
Warm water, 80+ in my experience there.
2 tank morning dives are the norm
Plenty of life to look at underwater
Friendly and helpful people, I haven't met anyone there that wasn't friendly
A safe, clean island. Never went anywhere on the island that I didn't feel safe
A variety of dive operators from bargain to boutique, I can suggest Blue XT Sea for a dive op. Great service, recent boat renovation
Plenty of other activities you keep even non-divers occupied
Lots of great places to eat. If you are staying at a AI resort you may still want to venture into town and try some of the food that is offered

IMO Cozumel is a great destination for the first dive trip.

I am sure others will be along to expand on things but that (for me) is the quick list of what to expect.

Hello all and thx for the input. We will be staying at the Hotel Cozumel and Resort. I have been trolling around here and found a great IMHO list of the local eateries. The plan now is to do 3-4 days of morning 2 tank dives. My gf has been there a few times before and has about 100 total dives but she hasn't really been online looking for help as I am.

Chad

Dive Paradise is the inhouse op for Hotel Cozumel and they have some fast boats, a little more $$$$. I have been out with them and they are a good op. I would prefer Blue XT Sea to them though I wouldn't worry about using either. I have stayed there before and have used both ops.

10 min walk to downtown, clean and friendly, cheap cab ride if you don't want to walk. I think most ops will pick you up there too.

Your GF probably knows this stuff but here is a link for arriving and some great information.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/413080-arriving-departing-cozumel-airport-guided-tour.html

Have a good trip.

I am not the expert for Cozumel by any stretch but I think that's pretty good info for starters anyway.

As you can tell by the responses, the Island is full of great dive shops, and great Dive Masters. I myself have only been out with Tres Pelicanos on two different vacations there, doing around 14 dives during each trip. If you want a company thats not going to hold your hand if you don't need it held, and want a smaller group then Tres is a good choice. As far as "doing your own thing" well your not going to want to "do your own thing" when drift diving in Cozumel, however after they are comfortable and think you are also, they will give you your own space as long as you don't completely disappear. I have been out with a lot of different shops in different locations and rank both Jorge and Servando from Tres at the top of my list, with only one DM/Owner in Kona ahead of them.

Liquid Blue and ask for Hector Reyes, and you can thank me later......:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom