Novice diver looking for 4/5-day trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lrw3gww

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I live in Boston and am new diver (<10 dives). Dive buddy lives in San Francisco and is more experienced. We're looking to rendezvous for 2 or 3 days of diving and are targeting Cozumel given central location and reputation. We're hoping for end of January excursion though dates are somewhat flexible.

In terms of planning, should we find/reserve dive charter first and then do hotel & flights? I'm planning to hire a guide given my experience level. While I'm comfortable, I'd prefer to have someone with us who knows the area, etc.

Guidance and suggestions appreciated!

go ahead a book the flight first so you know you have set dates. if you stay at a place that has it's own dive op, or is associated with a dive op, you can book a hotel/dive package and save.

"having a guide" is how we dive in Cozumel, in general. The dive ops provide a Divemaster who goes with the group as a guide on the reef. Any reputable dive op will take your experience into account and plan the dives to your level. They should take you out the first couple days and evaluate your skills and then base the next few days diving off of that.

Blue Angel Resort would be a good fit, not because they are my dive op and hotel, but because they cater to the "tourist diver", have multiple boats and should easily be able to place you with similarly experienced divers. The hotel is small and homey, with large rooms. It is sits right on the water, 22 rooms, all with balconies facing the ocean.

Dive op & restaurant on premises, just about a mile south of town. If you stay there and don't dive with them, most dive ops will pick you up at their pier ... this is true for most hotels, by the way.

other choices, would be Scuba Club, but I'm not sure how well they service novice divers, but they do have multiple boats and should be able to accommodate you. It's all-inclusive, no phones or TV's in the rooms. Easy walking distance to town. Folk that stay there really like it.

Aldora is located just north of town, has a very nice 9 room (I think) "villa", not all inclusive, but an EXCELLENT dive op.

Dive with Martin, ScubaTony, BlueXTSea & Scuba with Alison are also other great dive op choices.

Scuba Tony has condo connections and some of the others may have accommodation connections as well...

I HIGHLY recommend Scuba with Alison for a beginner. We dove with her when we had about the same number of dives as you, and they were our first ever ocean dives. She is incredibly safety conscious, checking with you about your air, always counting to make sure the group is together. She goes up to the safety stop with you to make sure you stay at the right depth and watch you get on the boat. We saw her go after a few people who unknowingly went below the agreed upon depth and pulled them back up. (She also gives advanced divers more freedom to dive deeper depths, poke around a bit without her- but on the first dive she would probably expect your buddy to stay close to the group.) Her boat also has two positions you can giant stride from if you don't like to roll. IIRC, she wants you to do safety stop at 800 psi and be back on the boat at 500 psi. She takes care of all your gear but the wetsuit- full service, gear was waiting on the tank when I got in the boat.

We also had a great experience with Tres Pelicanos, and I know they would take good care of a beginner as well (I had a freak out rolling off the boat and then my mask was leaking on the surface so I took some time to fix it, and the DM was literally willing to hold my hand on the descent, which I didn't really need, I just needed a moment to collect myself, but it was good to know they will take care of you if you need it), but I think with them, at least on the first day, I'd want a private divemaster just because of the looser group structure they use (or, if you are comfortable, just stick with your buddy). Intermediate and advanced divers are given a great deal of freedom, even on day 1 it seems- you can poke around as much as you want, and you do your safety stop on your own/in a buddy pair (DM will send up SMB if you can't). The DM didn't check with us on our air, or seem to see that we stayed above agreed upon depth (in fact, one swim through he went through was below the dive briefing depth.) Some people stayed in the water longer than the DM did- both DMs were pretty hands off. (Due to poor visibility we had one dive where we never really saw the DM after the initial descent.)
They ask you to go to your safety stop at 600 psi, and not to go into any swimthroughs below 1000 psi. There was never a 'back on the boat' amount stated. They take all your gear AND your wetsuits. They didn't put the gear on the tank for me in the morning, but I bet they would have if I asked (it's not that big of a deal).

If you need it, both ops have great rental gear- though we preferred Alison's personally. Both ops have great fast, comfortable boats and wonderful captains.

If you stay in town, Tres Pelicanos gives you a ride to the marina, with Alison you need a cab. If you stay at a resort south of the marina with a pier, Alison will pick you up (email her for a list)- TP also picks up at all those, and goes up north a little bit at least to El Cid (again, email for a list).

Last edited:
Dive with Martin, ScubaTony, BlueXTSea & Scuba with Alison are also other great dive op choices.

Scuba Tony has condo connections and some of the others may have accommodation connections as well...

ScubaTony is great. They certified our son and we have dived with them on 5 trips so far with our 6th starting this Friday. They now have 2 boats and will split up the boats by skill level when possible, which can be nice for both ends of the spectrum. Of course they won't split you from your buddy so don't worry about that. :)

We have also stayed in their condo (Casa Kin Ha) and it is really nice and, in our opinion, a steal. It's less than $90 a night for a 2 bedroom, living room, full kitchen apartment, and the downstairs unit has an enclosed backyard and a line for drying all your wet gear. The building is a duplex with one unit upstairs and one downstairs. It's right near the center of town which makes walking just about anywhere in town very easy. However if your dive op doesn't pick up in town you will need a taxi or rental car to get south for pickup. We always rent a car and just drive to the Caleta so it's not an issue for us.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip! It's pretty hard to go wrong diving in Cozumel no matter who you choose.

I live in Boston and am new diver (<10 dives). Dive buddy lives in San Francisco and is more experienced. We're looking to rendezvous for 2 or 3 days of diving and are targeting Cozumel given central location and reputation. We're hoping for end of January excursion though dates are somewhat flexible.

In terms of planning, should we find/reserve dive charter first and then do hotel & flights? I'm planning to hire a guide given my experience level. While I'm comfortable, I'd prefer to have someone with us who knows the area, etc.

Guidance and suggestions appreciated!
Good attitude. :thumb: As Sharky60 mentioned, DMs always accompany divers in the water on boat trips - unlike many other dive destinations. Underwater park rules require it. Still, as a newbie on his first time with Coz drift diving, hiring a private DM the first day would be money well spent.

I'm tight with how I spend money so I try to book air & hotel package discounts. I shop Matrix Airfare Search (click here Matrix - ITA Software by Google ) looking for flights with appealing times & connections, no overnight stops (your west coast friend will probably have to do an overnight flight), and lower fares - then I shop Orbitz, American Air vacations, etc. for appealing packages. I like my air & hotel plans firm before I shop dive Ops - except if you prefer to go out with one with limited or no pickups, keep that in mind as you look at hotels.

I do not like booking dive packages as conditions and needs change too much. I might book 5 dive trips with an Op to get the lower prices and assurances of boat trip space - but with flexibilities for changes. Many days are blown out in the winter.

Dive op & restaurant on premises, just about a mile south of town. If you stay there and don't dive with them, most dive ops will pick you up at their pier ... this is true for most hotels, by the way.
Well, some will, but some won't. Some of the Ops you listed won't. Many Ops don't want to play taxi pickup, taking up time & fuel.

For example Alison have a huge,* comfortable boat and is delightful to dive with, but she doesn't take it to town - too expensive to run. Since there are two of you, the cab fares to & from the marina won't be a big hit on your expenses, and she does pickup at some southern resorts close to the marina, but a point to keep in mind. * See clarifications following. It's large for a 8 diver boat, but not at all a cattleboat.

Last edited:
For example Alison have a huge, comfortable boat and is delightful to dive with, but she doesn't take it to town - too expensive to run.

Just for those not familiar with the Maximus- it's not a huge boat in that it holds a ton of people. You aren't going to get stuffed on with 20 other people, I think she is 8 divers max, and plenty roomy for them. What are huge are the engines, so I'm sure it sucks down the gas.

OP--I'm guessing the DM on the dive will 'know the area, etc.' fairly well.......I'd---------get my hotel 1st followed by airfare within a day or so----then figure out who you'll dive with(I'm assuming you'll not be using the 'hotel's dive OP'??)......

Just for those not familiar with the Maximus- it's not a huge boat in that it holds a ton of people. You aren't going to get stuffed on with 20 other people, I think she is 8 divers max, and plenty roomy for them. What are huge are the engines, so I'm sure it sucks down the gas.
Yeah, and thanks for clarifying that. It is huge for a 8 diver boat compared to the little pangas many use for 8. It's roomy, and I think it has a head. No, it's certainly not a cattle boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom