Eagle Rays :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjhansman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
These guys provided us with 30 minutes of entertainment (at 90 ft) at the south end of Punta Sur yesterday....

Eventually we had to leave but they were still hanging around.

IMG_2722a.jpg

They may be part of the same group I saw a couple times last week, at the bottom end near the first pinnacle, but for not for anything like 30 minutes. They are awe inspiring to watch. A group of about 7 have been hanging around for a while down there.

They were swimming in big circles and coming with 20 feet of us each time. Beautiful to watch. The only reason we had to go was to stay away from deco obligations.

Is this a new eagle ray dive like at Cantarell just north of downtown?

We had a group of 4 circle around us mid November this year at what appears to be the same site. For the one we have been visiting, we have been referring to it as Punta Sur Pinnacles (it is South of Devils Throat). It is fairly deep. When the Eagle rays arrived I ended up at 108 ft and others at 120ft though the Eagle Rays did go up and circle at a shallower depth. There were quite alot of Eagle Rays in general in November at many sites. We do go there for Eagle Rays but have never seen the numbers of Eagle Rays that we would expect at the Northern sites (given that they are there at both)

Our dive op started charging a fuel surcharge for Punta Sur and Maracaibo but seemed more than happy to go.

Is this a new eagle ray dive like at Cantarell just north of downtown?

I prefer Punta Sur - Cathedrals to Cantrell / Eagle Ray wall, more often than not I see Eagle Rays, often can see a Black tip or two (haven’t see a Hammer Head but I hold out hope) and if not, usually, the current is not ripping and there is still a beautiful dive along the pinnacles plus the Cathedral and associated deep passages at the tail end, provided you have the gas and time left. Deco can be a problem W/O Nitrox as it is a long deep dive. During the prime Eagle ray season Cantrell is probably a surer bet but overall I prefer Punta Sur.

Don't let them leave! We'll be there tomorrow! :wink:

Beautiful picture. I don't think I've ever seen 3 of them that close at once.

Gotta love Eagle Rays!

[video=youtube;6N0X30NOjcY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N0X30NOjcY&list=UU4d4yQwJT13A6n5bXzVNx3Q[/video]

That's amazing! Hope to have your luck when I get there in 2 days!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom