Looking for, Dive shop for experienced divers, South of town pick up.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZ_Zoner

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Looking for ideas for a dive shop/boat that will accommodate experienced divers. We are staying south of town at the Residencias Reef condo’s. We’d like to get a shop that will run a comfortable boat with a small group of divers, maybe 8 or less if possible. Also we would like to leave our equipment on board so we don’t have to carry it back and forth to the condo. We’ll be diving at least 5 days so hope there are some good options.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Craig

Give the folks at Aldora a call. They run 6-8 boats (I don't remember exactly, but I'm told they're at the limit of how many boats the authorities will allow one company to run). One (the Felicity) is a big momma, which lets her go out even when the port is restricted. The others are small, fast, comfortable boats. I don't think I've ever been on one of their smaller boats with more than 6 divers. The Felicity carries more, but they stagger the drops so you're still diving with a small group. Aldora is big enough that they can match people with groups of similar skill levels. And they're a concierge service - drop off your gear when you arrive on the island, pick it up when it's time to go home. If the port is closed, they keep two boats over on the east side, so you can dive there instead. They take experienced divers to sites north of the marine park, many of which are new. Last time I checked, Aldora was the only shop using most of those sites.

I will cheerlead for my favorite, ScubaTony. They run 2 small boats that are incredibly well maintained, max 6 divers per boat, and will go pretty much wherever the skill level of the group will allow. They also rinse and store all your gear (except wetsuits) every day as part of the diving cost. They always take great care of my gear. They will pick up anywhere from a teeny bit north of the Caleta all the way down to Iberostar. You can check with them for specifics.

Plus they have Carlos, aka the Human GPS, as their boat captain. In 6 trips that guy has never dropped us anywhere but right on top of the exact spot we asked for. The military could incorporate this guy into guided missile tech and see an improvement. If he was driving the Philae comet lander it wouldn't have bounced. :D

Aldora, BlueXTSea. Scuba Tony, Scuba with Alison, Living Underwater, Tres Pelicanos. ... all should fit the bill.

How many in your group who will dive every day possible? You may well have enough to charter your own private boat, then go where & when you want.

How many in your group who will dive every day possible? You may well have enough to charter your own private boat, then go where & when you want.

There are 4 of us and will probably dive 4 or 5 days.

cb

There are 4 of us and will probably dive 4 or 5 days.

cb
You can probably get a private panga for about the same cost as buying slots on a boat with other divers, then do what you want within usual parameters - unless you're going during Carnival or some other very busy time. You might prefer a larger boat tho, and there are many suggested above, and more. Scuba with Alison has a super boat and is great to dive with.

Bottom time divers runs a valet dive op so you can leave all your gear onboard. He can pick you up from the wood pier in front of Secrets just North of where you are staying (assuming you don't already know). Raul (DM/owner) has a 6 pax boat and can take you to any site - always divers choice. He can accomodate experienced divers but no op can guarantee you won't have newer divers on board unless you charter the whole boat. He just put his boat back in the water at the beginning of Nov 2014 so everything is up to par. The others mentioned above all have good reputations and I have used a few of them.

Thanks for all the quick responses!! Contacted a few shops already and am surprised how inexpensive it is to dive Cozumel now.

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom