Diving in the 60's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Augustus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Two old pics. The diver with the spear gun was Ramon Zapata one of the founders of Aqua Safari. Obviously things have improved since these were taken. T shirts and socks were basic.

Attachments

• IMAG0016_0075_edited-1.jpg
    IMAG0016_0075_edited-1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 496
  • IMAG0017_0076_edited-1.jpg
    IMAG0017_0076_edited-1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 486
I like old pics.
The first thing people around here will bag on is in the first photo Ramon is grossly out of "trim", and the second photo the diver is all over the bottom touching stuff.
But hey, it was the 60's and that's how people dove....no BC's and all that.

Aqua Safari back thenaquasafari_edited-5.jpg

Nice images!

When Bob Marx and Mel and Deo Fisher came to Cozumel in 1957 to make a short promo film underwater for Pan American, Bob decided to stay on the island and started a dive operation out of the Hotel Playa. That was Cozumel's first dive shop. Bob employed Ramon in that operation and it was the experience Ramon got with Bob and the tourists that enabled him to open Aqua Safari with his other three partners. I think Bob was charging 8.00 USD a day for the dive, including boat, equipment, lunch and either Bob or Ramon as a guide.

On the way down to Cozumel, the Fisher group first dove in some cenotes at Chichen Itza, and filmed the endeavor. Here is a photo of one of the Mel Fisher group. Not the unusual rig:

mel fisher 1.jpg
This video can be seen at: http://www.melfisher.com/SalvageOperations/TributeToMel_VIDEO.asp

Go to that page and click on the line "Cenotes of Chichen Itza"

Here is a soft drink ad that appeared near an article about Cozumel published in the June 1961 edition of Life Magazine:

1961 ad.jpg

I love the old photos too. Anyone else see what is wrong in the Coke add?...and I think I see a second thing.

I love the old photos too. Anyone else see what is wrong in the Coke add?...and I think I see a second thing.
Besides glass bottles on rocks? Her mask will get last in the surf with one wave. His is secure on his forehead, where I wear mine - except the strap is low.

Besides glass bottles on rocks? Her mask will get last in the surf with one wave. His is secure on his forehead, where I wear mine - except the strap is low.

His spear is pointing towards her. According to the Padi police, no masks on the head it can be a distressed diver signal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom