Dive lights on plane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadeep1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be taking my pair of Light and Motion Solas which are sealed lights as far as battery access goes. My question is to my understanding going to Cozumel from US I should carry on but what about the way back from Cozumel to US do I carry on or put in my checked bag?

Funny you should ask. I just got back from two weeks in Hawaii and I almost got my lights confiscated by the TSA in Kona. Funny thing is that they have been through TSA in Seattle twice and San francisco Once without problem.

Even funnier, is my son went first and placed his regulator bag and bag with can light made by Andrewy (SB member who makes lights) on the belt. Right behind him I placed my reg case and canister light with spare battery on the belt. His go through no problem. They pull both my reg case and lights. They called over four TSA agents. the main lady just stood there saying she did not like them. Invoked Alqeada. then asked what are my other hobbies. I said mountain biking, fishing, skiing, photography. If if cost a lot of money I probably do it.:D

After another conversation an mentioning I fly 150K miles a year, am TSA pre-check I guess she figured that don't look good but I was a low enough risk to let me pass.

Moral of the story. YOU NEVER KNOW.

Mexico isn't Kona. The issue involves batteries. Mexico doesn't want "loose" batteries in carry-on. As long as a battery is IN some device, they're fine with it. Note that a battery case or original unopened packaging could still be considered "loose".

The lights themselves should go wherever you're comfortable when you're leaving Mexico. For me, that would only be carry-on, but I avoid checking through anything I would mind never seeing again (anywhere, not just Mexico). They will happily let you board the plane with them in your carry-on. If you have any spare batteries for any devices, those will need to go in check-through.

It is best to print & carry the regulations when traveling with Li-Ion powered devices. Though it is not actually required many TSA agents will want the device disconnected from the battery. If you do that with your lights you will void the warranty (check with the manufacturer to verify). You may find this helpful as well. Safe travels and have fun.

Right or wrong I pack my Solas light in the smallish black nylon zippered case that the light came in (along with the charger) and have never had a problem. I also put the eight spare AA batteries for for my two YS-110A strobes in a insulated plastic carrying case (made just for carrying batteries) that also goes into a small Pelican box that resides in my roller bag that fits in the overhead. I give that roller to my wife anytime there is a metal detector involved as my 17cm titanium hip stems in my femurs always gets their attention. Once you set off the metal detector they will look at everything you are carrying, not just what set off the detector. I went to Mexico four times last year, three to the Yucatan and one to Cabo/Baja/La Paz area. Never an issue with this method going in or coming out. YMMV
Edit: I'm also TSA Pre-check, if that matters. I don't think it would.

Last edited:
The size of the battery may be a problem especially with Lithium batteries. Here is a link to a PDF the FAA put out a year ago which is pretty liberal on allowances: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/faa_airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf
Here is the info from DOT, which several of the airlines sites refer you to:
http://phmsa.dot.gov/safetravel/batteries
Then last month the FAA put out a video of a test they did last spring which shows a cargo container ‘exploding’ in flames: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyfZrX4RhiE Since then the Airlines seem to be heightening their awareness on the issue and, at least in the case of AA, started making the passengers check off a declaration that they are not carrying restricted items at check in.
Confusion can arise with the total Lithium content allowed. Lithium metal batteries are limited to 2 grams lithium content and Li Ion batteries to 8 grams. This is the actual lithium content not total battery weight and in reality is a very liberal allowance. I do not think you would have problems in Cozumel because they are very familiar with dive equipment. In the USA with our highly trained baggage screeners, all bets are off.
With an expensive device like a Sola light I would keep a copy of both the FAA and DOT documents (they say the same basic thing but the FAA’s is much more informative) AND I would contact the manufacture and get a document showing the actual Lithium content is within the allowance, this gives you a fighting chance at persuading the TSA to leave your lights alone, if it becomes an issue.

It is important to know what battery chemistry you have and read the rules carefully. Li-ION limits are actually 25 grams.

In January of 2014 the rules for shipping & transportation changed. February of 2015 they become mandatory requiring manufacturers to have all cells and packs certified. We wrote a blog about this a while back. I don't know what other manufacturers are doing however we have already had our packs certified. We don't know how this will affect the end user when it comes to air travel, only time will tell.

There is a difference in terms between UN/DOT 38.3 & TSA. UN/DOT 38.3 clearly states the difference between "cells" & "packs", TSA does not. TSA uses the term "battery" for both a single cell & for packs.

I just came across this thread and am slightly confused about how to transport spare batteries. My keldan 8M cri lights have 89 Wh li-ion batteries. It seems based on FAA regs that there is no limit to the number of these batteries I can carry on, however I can only check in those that are in the lights. I can not have spares in the checked in bags. Reading above seems to indicate that Mexico doesn't like spares in the carry on luggage. I have one spare batt for each light and at $450 bejis per battery, I would hate to risk confiscation. So, what do I do with the spares on a trip to/from Mexico ?

If you place it in checked luggage, I would either remove the battery or tape the switch to avoid it turning on IF turning on could start a fire. Electrical tape would be my choice of tape.

Back
Top Bottom