time change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Augustus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Not sure if this has been posted but on Feb. 1 the state of Quintana Roo will change to eastern time. Not sure why they are doing this since it was tried 6-8 years ago and quickly ended when the powers that be realized it did not work. It made life hard for anyone doing a night dive since you were getting into the water much later and it was a challenge to find a restaurant to have dinner after the dive. All in all a really dumb idea.

Not sure if this has been posted but on Feb. 1 the state of Quintana Roo will change to eastern time. Not sure why they are doing this since it was tried 6-8 years ago and quickly ended when the powers that be realized it did not work. It made life hard for anyone doing a night dive since you were getting into the water much later and it was a challenge to find a restaurant to have dinner after the dive. All in all a really dumb idea.

Restaurant hours are market driven. It seems to me that an astute restaurateur, if he is happy with the way his establishment's business hours match with the traffic through his place, would just change them with the time change. Why would he want to be open an hour in the morning before there are any customers and close an hour earlier in the evening while there is still available business just because of what his clock says?

Just a thought, maybe our dive shops should also adjust our departure times to facilitate night dives, etc.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS This may also impact our ability to do afternoon dives that avoid darkness.

Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
again i just wonder how many divers are willing to come back from a night dive between 9 & 10 to then go out to dinner. Sunset in the summer now is what 7 PM or so. New time makes it 8-8:30. What amazes me is they tried this 7 or so years ago then when back to the current time since not that many people carried for it. Theory then was the change was for the cruise boats that were on eastern time.

Restaurant hours are market driven. It seems to me that an astute restaurateur, if he is happy with the way his establishment's business hours match with the traffic through his place, would just change them with the time change. Why would he want to be open an hour in the morning before there are any customers and close an hour earlier in the evening while there is still available business just because of what his clock says?

But how many people are restaurants really having to accommodate coming home from night dives vs. waking up for breakfast. Night dives depend on the sun, not what the clock says- so in the summer those divers are going to be coming in quite late, but in general breakfast depends on the clock. So they'd still have to open at the same time in the morning.

Err... isn't that backwards?

I am just hoping the new time will let me stay out later, get up later and get more sleep.

Not arguing the negative impact of this on night divers, but I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the percentage of Quintana Roo tourists that want to dine after diving at night is minuscule in the big scheme of tourism. Cancún, Playa del Carmen, Tulúm and Isla Mujeres are all packed with mostly non-diving tourists. And then there's the cruise ship daytrippers.

Just a thought, maybe our dive shops should also adjust our departure times to facilitate night dives, etc.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel
Absolutely. Dive times should be driven by solar times, not clock times. With night dives, of course, there is no option.

Absolutely. Dive times should be driven by solar times, not clock times. With night dives, of course, there is no option.

Well, if by solar, you mean a reasonable time that isn't TOO early I am with you.

And if we sometimes get a 900 departure for accommodating cruisers, does this mean it is now a 1000 departure!?!?!? Daddy likey.....

Well, if by solar, you mean a reasonable time that isn't TOO early I am with you.

And if we sometimes get a 900 departure for accommodating cruisers, does this mean it is now a 1000 departure!?!?!? Daddy likey.....

No, the actual time of day (vs time of clock) for accommodating cruisers won't change. The ships will still dock when they do and let the cruisers off, it's just that their clocks (if they came from the East coast) will now match the islands clocks.

The way this time zone change helps the cruise industry is that the cruisers who come from the East Coast won't have to remember not to ask locals what time it is. (Ships most of the time do not change time zones- so cruisers have to remember "ship time". And when they get really drunk, that can be hard.) The cruisers coming from Texas though are going to have to do the math themselves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom