A possibly silly fin question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThePetiteRunner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
We're heading to Coz in June for our honeymoon and doing some diving while we're there. I'm new to diving (just got certified with the soon-to-be-Mister last weekend) and so I don't really know much about all the equipment yet. I had a quick question for you: What type of fins do you like to dive in Coz with?

We have some open-heeled fins we wore with boots for our cold water dives in Monterey, and I'm wondering if they'd work in Coz or if we should just get some closed foot fins or just rent them when we're down there. Do you guys always wear boots/socks with open heeled fins? Would you be too hot diving in boots in warm water?

Thanks so much for your time.

Cheers and happy diving,

Cathy

I use my 5mm booties with Aeris Excel fins. They are very light weight so good for travel.
They are a bit shorter than my Aeris Velocity fins that I use here in CA, but since COZ is mostly drift diving they are perfect for there.

Unless you really dislike the fins you have, stick with them. Most of the divers that travel with me to warm water locations use their cold water booties and fins.
I doubt your feet will get too warm.

ditto as above. Instead of booties I prefer to use neoprene socks with overshoes, unfortunate they don't make Chuck Taylors big enough for me, but they work quite well.
Amazon.com : NeoSport Wetsuits XSPAN 5mm Socks : Neoprene Socks : Sports & Outdoors
1.5mm or 3mm should be plenty for you. Nice thing with those is you can wear them on the deck without issues since the soles are nonmarking. I've also been known to do the same but with chacos though the buckle can get a little irritating if you're flutter kicking

We wear our cold water booties with our regular fins.

I think almost all the divers I've seen have worn boots with their fins, it's rare to see closed heel fins except with people using rentals.

The reality is that full foot fins are much more efficient in the water than are the open heel type with booties. But you may not notice the difference until you have many dives. Open heel fins are used mainly for warmth in cold water and that is not a problem in Cozumel.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

There isn't any reason you can't use the fins you have with the booties. Believe me, you will NOT be too warm!

Full foot fins may well be more efficient, but every time I have tried to use them, I have ended up with rubs or blisters, so I don't like them for myself.

I'm disappointed. I clicked on this thread hoping to discover what "silly fins" are! :D
OMEAF.jpg

The reality is that full foot fins are much more efficient in the water than are the open heel type with booties. But you may not notice the difference until you have many dives. Open heel fins are used mainly for warmth in cold water and that is not a problem in Cozumel.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Really? I've never heard this.
Is that just anecdotal, or are there studies that show they are more efficient? Is it when compared to an open heeled fin of the same length and style? Or are different styles also considered here? (That is- are some open heeled fins may be more efficient than some closed ones?)

Of course, I guess unless you are diving some of the more advanced sites, efficiency isn't much to worry about. There have only been a few times where I've had to swim anywhere particular in Cozumel. The drift generally decides where to go, with only a leisurely "kick against the current to wait for the photographers". If you were doing an anchored boat dive in an area with a current, maximizing efficiency would seem to be a much higher concern.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom