Aldora Adventure/Sleeping Sharks dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Queen Triggerfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Be warned: This is wordy! (Some might say "thorough.")

I did the Aldora Adventure for two back-to-back days two weeks ago.

On the first day, the three of us who were going noticed that the crew was praying in a circle on the boat before we got on. That upped the anxiety factor a bit! :) Turned out there was no need for any anxiety; while conditions can be such that people are given personal radio/GPS units, reef hooks, etc., it was ridiculously calm when we were there, even more so than the regular sites had been the previous day. I compared it to a decent sized lake in Minnesota, even more on our second day.

There were three of us - me and a great couple from Texas. I dove with them later in the week too, and appreciated Aldora grouping people by experience and interest. There were five crew people: captain and captain assistant, and three DMs, so a great ratio! We all dove Nitrox and had to keep a close eye on our computers - we were in the 90-foot range for as long as we could be. Nitrox was definitely crucial.

I don't have my dive log on me, so there's a chance I'm wrong about this, but I think we went to El Puente, Tiburcio, and El Puente Dos on the first day. On the second day we did El Puente Dos, La Loma and Tiburcio. On the first day, we saw one shark swimming away on one dive, and five on another dive (I could look up which were at which sites if anyone wants/needs to know). None of them were sleeping. For me, this wasn't a big deal. I didn't go to see sharks - sleeping or not - but rather wanted to go somewhere new and somewhere with a high lionfish population. In fact on the first dive, we waited a little long for my preference while the DMs were attempting to attract the sharks. I would have rather been spearing nearby instead of kneeling. I mentioned this after the dive, and they totally listened and made sure I got to do lots of spearing on the next two dives. :) The lionfish spearing was exhilarating for me. There were so many lionfish it was fun to have a bunch of us hunting at the same time. People who didn't want to spear were happy too, since we kept moving for the most part.

The crew was AWESOME in aiding my spearing. In all my previous lionfish outings, I've used a Zookeeper. I'm not comfortable handling them or cutting fins off or anything. Each time I speared a lionfish, Momio would be there ready to take my spear and lionfish from me and would hand it back within seconds. One time Memo even just traded spears with me so I wouldn't have to wait the few seconds to get my spear back. Adam was also spearing, but it seemed like his job was more to watch out for the divers and our air and NDL. I appreciated that they were so concerned about keeping us safe. A couple of the safety stops were pretty entertaining too, we could watch Momio swoop down and get a lobster (it's the season, and he was very careful about only getting the correct size).

There was a really cool coral arch at El Puente Dos - it actually looks a lot like that scuba sculpture downtown in terms of size. There were also a couple cave structures on the dives. Even though there weren't sleeping sharks in them, people could go in and check them out if they wanted.

The one thing I didn't like so much about El Puente Dos (I THINK it was that site - maybe Dave can chime in if I'm incorrect) was that there are two separate areas to check out. We swam really fast between the first area and the second, fast enough that I was pretty confused as to what was happening, and definitely got a workout. We were trying to maximize our bottom time without spending too many minutes in the middle area. This was explained more clearly on the second day (maybe it was on the first day too, and I just didn't catch it). On the second day, we saw a HUGE hawksbill turtle at El Puente Dos.

In between the second and third dives, the crew made FRESH ceviche from the lionfish we had speared (and they were able to add lobster the second day!) It was delicious, of course, and such a neat overall experience. All three guests and maybe a DM laid down between the second and third dive on the big raised section in the middle of the boat (the Felicity) and fell asleep. It was lovely. We were awoken (and I may have jumped a few inches!) by Memo's rooster call!

Quick add about the second day - I'm having trouble organizing this since I did two days. I wasn't actually planning on going the second day, didn't even know they were doing it. But I was on the pier and saw them getting geared up. Memo asked if I wanted to come with again. I wasn't going to just because I didn't want to spend the extra money, but after hearing the preferences of the people who I would be diving with that day, I opted in. (This day didn't seem to be "grouped by experience or interest" as much, and that was confirmed by the couple from Texas when I saw them the next day.) This day's Adventure group included four crew, the same as the day before minus Adam, and two dogs. There were five divers after I added myself. :) The four guys were awesome to dive with. And we did see sharks this day too. They were awake when I saw them, but I think they saw sleeping ones after I ascended on the last dive.

On the last dive on the second day (El Puente Dos), I had two lionfish on the end of my spear. Because Momio and Memo were searching for the sharks, I didn't swim my spear over to them right away. When I went after a third lionfish, the first one slid all the way up the spear into my hand. I do have a three-pronged spear and this has never happened before. In my quick assessment it looked like the hole was so big that the three-prongs didn't stop the darn thing. I managed to get my first ever lionfish sting (and second and third, all in one full swoop!). I had heard before that the pain would get worse, but thought I'd gut it out for a bit, and didn't want to interrupt everyone's dive. We were only ten minutes in when I got stung. About ten more minutes after I got stung, the pain and swelling was getting quite a bit worse, so Momio ascended with me (we managed to squeeze in the safety stop). I even motioned that he could go join the group again, but he was going to make sure I made it onto the boat so he got out also. The captain, assistant and Momio took good care of me while we waited for the other divers, despite our language barrier. I couldn't figure out how to say, "I know one of the other guys has Advil because I heard him offering it to another diver." They put ice in a bag and I laid on the middle ledge thing while waiting for the other divers. The pain definitely increased! One of the dogs sat next to me the whole time. I think the sweet dog knew what was going on.

Here's the one lesson I learned. When I go on the lionfish trips with REEF, we always bring a thermos of warm water with us in case anyone gets stung. I really wished I had had one on this trip, especially since we were so far from shore! I will definitely bring my own in the future for far-from-shore trips if a shop doesn't. Hopefully I'll never need it, but maybe someone will. I did get warm water and medicine when we got back at the shop. Adam and Memo took good care of me until the pain was tolerable enough for me to go back to my hotel. I had significant swelling for a couple days. I did go out for lionfish at La Perlita with lionfish-eater and family that night!

All in all, I would most definitely sign up for these adventure dives again. I had so much fun with the crew (they were patient as I eagerly tested my Spanish on both days) and the other divers, and it did feel like an "adventure."

Last edited:
The Sharks you saw, were they the normally seen Caribbean Gray Reef sharks, 6-10 ft? Any Spotted Eagle Rays? And what was the sting medicine that helped the pain go away in 4 hours?

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers (now in Texas)

The Sharks you saw, were they the normally seen Caribbean Gray Reef sharks, 6-10 ft? Any Spotted Eagle Rays? And what was the sting medicine that helped the pain go away in 4 hours?

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers (now in Texas)

I didn't get as good a look at the sharks as others, but they weren't nurse sharks, and yes they were 6-10 feet. In fact, when the group was looking at FIVE of them, I had one of those weird moments where it took me a couple seconds to even focus on what they were looking at. I don't think we saw any eagle rays up there, but I did see them on other dives that week. Not the big school of them that some people were spotting, but beautiful nonetheless. One was the closest I've ever seen. And who knows, there was a chance an eagle ray could have swam right over me while we up north and I wouldn't have noticed because I was pretty obsessed with lionfish!

You'd have to ask Memo what the medicine was. I was pretty much ready to take anything at that point. I do know it was expensive, like $400 pesos and something we apparently can't get in the U.S., but when I Googled the ingredients later they seemed to be normal stuff for U.S. medicine. Maybe it was a stronger dose. I left the rest of box at your shop, in case someone needs it in the future. Since I started the hot water treatment just a bit before taking the medicine, it's hard to know which helped the pain the most.

I did suggest that we just stop at Thirsty Cougar after we got off the pier and let them treat me instead of going to the shop! :martini:

Oh, and because I was pretty incapable of carrying or holding anything with my two elephant hands, I did talk the guys into taking my wetsuit for a night.:chuckle: (Actually it wasn't hard, just made me laugh because I know some people have strong feelings about the who-takes-the-wetsuit issue.)

nice report. going to try and work in some diving with Aldora one of these days. (along with an ever growing list of other dive ops. Soooo many good ops, so little vacation time & funds!).

I've got to know Dave a little over the past year, and we toured the Villas on our last trip. I'm VERY impressed with the entire Aldora operation. Aldora is high on my recommendation list of dive ops for Coz.

I'm personally not too interested in the "Polar Express/sleeping shark caves", (I know shocking right? Sharky passing up sharks!). I'm not NITROX certified and keep getting talked out of it every time I bring it up at my regular dive op, but would definitely would like to explore the "Aldora Adventure" dives up north!!!

... and maybe one of these days, get Dave & crew to take me over to "The Galleons" on the Caribbean side. :D

I was told one time by a DM, who will go unnamed, that if you get stung by a lionfish, or a jellyfish, and you don't have any hot water on the boat, then unzip your wetsuit and pee on it. Supposedly the heat and the ammonia in the urine helps the sting?? Is this urban legend and was he BS'ng me or is there any truth to it? I called BS when he told me but he swore up and down it was the truth.

I was told one time by a DM, who will go unnamed, that if you get stung by a lionfish, or a jellyfish, and you don't have any hot water on the boat, then unzip your wetsuit and pee on it. Supposedly the heat and the ammonia in the urine helps the sting?? Is this urban legend and was he BS'ng me or is there any truth to it? I called BS when he told me but he swore up and down it was the truth.
Pissing on stings has been discredited by DAN and every other authority. Good for a laugh tho... :laughing:

Chief - I doubt this will help, but I do recall that it was a white and royal blue box, the same size and shape as a standard U.S. Sudafed box.

I did not try peeing on the lionfish stings (not sure I would have even been able to do that, especially because I was in too much pain to even take my wetsuit off), but I have since read something about accessing hot water from the boat engine if none is available. Like pouring it over the engine or something?

Wow, I'm just a poster child of uncertainty here, aren't I? Maybe I should do a trip review about the restaurants I went to - my memory is more clear on that.

Chief - I doubt this will help, but I do recall that it was a white and royal blue box, the same size and shape as a standard U.S. Sudafed box.

I did not try peeing on the lionfish stings (not sure I would have even been able to do that, especially because I was in too much pain to even take my wetsuit off), but I have since read something about accessing hot water from the boat engine if none is available. Like pouring it over the engine or something?

Wow, I'm just a poster child of uncertainty here, aren't I? Maybe I should do a trip review about the restaurants I went to - my memory is more clear on that.

Most, including the 4-stroke Yamaha outboard engines have what is called a "Tell Tale" stream of water that is discharged from the starboard side of the outboard engine. It is there to tell the captain that the water pump is pumping sea water through the engine to prevent overheating. Since the water is run through the engine it should be warm. It would be obviously warmer if the engine has been run at higher power settings. I think if you were in pain the prudent thing would be to have the DM go back while the engine is running and had bottles of warm water brought to you. It can be difficult to access while underway. I've stood in the back in what is is called the splashwell to "check" the engines and discharge my own warm water overboard (pee) to keep my wet suit with a nice fresh spring smell. Make sure the captain knows what your intentions are, before attempting! While back there the running of the telltale encourages my own personal telltale to operate. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom