Blue Magic and Casa Mexicana report.... A+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been so busy since I got back I have not had a chance to post a dive report about our last trip to Coz. We booked with Blue Magic and their sleep and dive package for 5 nights and 4 days of diving. I could not be happier...unless I was still there.

After something of an ordeal to get to Cozumel thanks to American Airlines, we had to take the ferry from PDC to get to the island. The hotel is only about 2 blocks from the ferry pier. We didn't know that and it had been a long day so we took a $4 cab ride. The hotel is a little hard to find if you don't know where you are going. It is just a set of glass doors going to an escalator up to the second floor lobby. The desk clerks all spoke English and we were checked in and up to out room in a matter of minutes. We had requested an upper floor with a king sized bed and we were on the fourth floor with the right bed and the room was very nice and very clean. I had heard that the second floor was loud at breakfast. We both hit the bed and fell right to sleep. comfortable bed, HVAC worked fine, slept great.

Breakfast is served at 7:00am. This is by several accounts the best breakfast buffet on the island. We did not have anything we did not want more of. The omelet station and waffle/pancake station are very good as well as the fresh squeezed orange and grapefruit juice. Guests at their sister hotel also come to the buffet but it was never crowded to the point you were waiting long. If the omelet/waffle line was backing things up, I just went around to the other side. A good selection of fruit is at the other end and it was very good as well. We never had any trouble getting out within 30 minutes for a leisurely breakfast. We never had to rush at all.

The Dog.... Several reviews complain about the neighbor's dog. Every morning at 6:45 or so they would let him out. He barks. That what dogs do. He was only out for a few minutes and you don't hear from him again. We actually got to where we looked forward to the alarm dog so we did not oversleep. We have dogs...it just was not that big of a deal to us.

Mega (Large grocery store like a walmart supercenter) is just about 2 blocks South, Just around the corner is a restaurant (Foco something I think) that had incredible shrimp tacos and guacamole. The Thirsty Cougar for Drinks, good food, and awesome ceviche is about 2 blocks North. you are in the middle of downtown so everything is within walking distance or a cheap cab ride if you don't want to walk. Make it a point to eat at Guidos one night and get the scallops...go early in your stay so you can go back. They are that good.

Blue Magic is run by an American and so English is not a problem. They also seem to have several employees from Isreal. We booked the hotel and diving for less than $1000 and did a night dive as well for a little extra. We brought our own equipment but from looking at the rental equipment others used, it was all in good condition and there were no equipment issues on any of our dives. Divemaster Pumba is a local legend and as been leading dives for over 20 years. Our night dive and last day diving was with Master, I think his name is Eddie, and he was younger, but equally as good. I cramped up (Charlie horse) during our night dive and started to fin stretch it out. He was probably 30 feet away when the cramp started. The next thing I knew, he was at my side checking on me. I was amazed how fast he was there, and even though it was just a cramp, he was there immediately.

I had requested 100cf tanks and they were not an issue. They do charge more for the 100cf tanks than other operators I have seen. They operate out of Caleta Marina South of town but we would meet at the dive shop on the north side of town...4th I think...They paid for the cab ride to Caleta. We let them store our gear and it was always rinsed and ready to go the next morning. It was great not having to lug it back and forth.

I did not see any better deals on a sleep and dive packages and the service was great. There is a little bakery on the corner by the dive shop and it was fantastic and cheap. 2 doors down from the bakery was Gorditos Burritos and it is a must do regardless who you dive with. Cheap, filling, and great food. I really cant go into all of the dive spots because I don't have my log with me, but the diving was awesome, we did fast drifts (lots of fun), swim throughs, 100+ dives and some 40 foot dives. Its Cozumel so the diving is going to be great. Surface Intervals are on a beach close to Tormentos. Fruit and cookies are provided as well as bottled water.

All in all, the only complaint I could possibly have is the cost of the 100cf tanks, other than that we had no issues. They even invited me to a going away party for one of the employees and the fajitas were fantastic!! I will dive with them again, the price was best I found, service was excellent, boats were limited to 8 divers, most of the time 6 or less, and we had a great time.

I absolutely recommend Blue Magic and Casa Mexicana!!! They will see me again.

Safe Travels,
Jay

The Dog.... Several reviews complain about the neighbor's dog. Every morning at 6:45 or so they would let him out. He barks. That what dogs do. He was only out for a few minutes and you don't hear from him again. We actually got to where we looked forward to the alarm dog so we did not oversleep. We have dogs...it just was not that big of a deal to us.

When I stayed there just one year ago, I don't recall ever hearing a dog. I liked the predictable alarm clock of hearing tanks clanking each other on the piers each morning - what a lovely way to wake up!

This past trip (Mi Casa en Cozumel) I did hear dogs - lots of them, and for much of the night.

Was there still a really sweet woman working at the omelet station in the mornings? She was so patient as I was trying to learn the names of certain vegetables day after day.

Glad you had an awesome trip! Thanks for the great report.

Omelet Lady's name is Berta. She was there last year, I don't know about this season.

I have to start with the fact that I'm not a morning person. So anything before getting on the boat is kind of blurry until the caffeine kicks in. Picture a scuba zombie in need of caffeine and salt water instead of brains...There was a woman cooking omelets and she put up with my texas twanged spanish and smiled. There was also a man that would help out. I never got their names. Service was fantastic. I usually skipped omelets and waffles because there would be 5 people or so in front of me. I'm tempted to try Spirit Airlines for a long weekend dive trip next month....but the Spirit reviews are actually quiet scary. Our last morning we did get waffles and omelets and I wish we would have every morning we were there.
Wishing I was there,
jay

---------- Post added January 27th, 2015 at 09:01 PM ----------

I have to start with the fact that I'm not a morning person. So anything before getting on the boat is kind of blurry until the caffeine kicks in. Picture a scuba zombie in need of caffeine and salt water instead of brains...There was a woman cooking omelets and she put up with my texas twanged spanish and smiled. There was also a man that would help out. I never got their names. Service was fantastic. I usually skipped omelets and waffles because there would be 5 people or so in front of me. I'm tempted to try Spirit Airlines for a long weekend dive trip next month....but the Spirit reviews are actually quiet scary. Our last morning we did get waffles and omelets and I wish we would have every morning we were there.
Wishing I was there,
jay

Wishing I was there,
jay

Funny, but I am not usually a morning person, either, except when I am on Cozumel. Typically I am up until midnight or later and I have to reluctantly scrape the bed off my back when the alarm goes off, but when I get to Cozumel I usually spring wide awake at first light or before, and by 10PM or so I am looking to get horizontal. Go figure.

I was sad that I was never able to really enjoy Casa Mexicana's breakfast. I get so nervous about diving that if I eat more than a few bites I'm scared I'll end up sick on the boat.

Has anyone stayed at Casa Mexicana and Suites Bahia? Is staying at Mexicana worth the extra money?

That bakery on the corner that you mentioned is Zermatt - it's been there for years and is a long time favorite of mine. You can even get a decent cup of coffee there, and the pastries are great. If you are not ready for a huge breakfast before diving, you could do a lot worse than coffee and a couple of pastries (or a ham and cheese roll) at Zermatt.

Has anyone stayed at Casa Mexicana and Suites Bahia? Is staying at Mexicana worth the extra money?

It really depends. My wife loves Casa Mexicana. If I go solo Bahia is great.
The ocean front rooms at Bahia are nice, but more money than the regular no view rooms.
We enjoy the rooms on the south side of Casa as they catch the sun and if you are up on 4th or 5th floor a partial ocean view.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom