"Divers' Plan Local"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
Reaction score
So, Swim For The Reef says they've arranged all sorts of discounts with Cozumel businesses for people with C-cards in hand. Some are quite decent, and one or two significantly exceed what a "real" Plan Local card would get you (50% off at Casa Mission?!?). There are quite a few hotels, dive or tour companies, jewelry shops and so on listed. There's even a 45% discount on the Mexico Waterjets ferry, though not on Ultramar.

I wonder how legit this is. It's not difficult to imagine showing up anticipating a discount only to learn that nobody there has ever heard of it.

Can anyone report on how this has worked when they've tried to use it?

It looks like the ferry discount is for online booking & printing. I gave it a try but the site is down I think.

So, Swim For The Reef says they've arranged all sorts of discounts with Cozumel businesses for people with C-cards in hand. Some are quite decent, and one or two significantly exceed what a "real" Plan Local card would get you (50% off at Casa Mission?!?). There are quite a few hotels, dive or tour companies, jewelry shops and so on listed. There's even a 45% discount on the Mexico Waterjets ferry, though not on Ultramar.

I wonder how legit this is. It's not difficult to imagine showing up anticipating a discount only to learn that nobody there has ever heard of it.

Can anyone report on how this has worked when they've tried to use it?
I've had customers use the ferry discount. If I remember correctly, they have to buy the round trip ticket and the discount is taken off the return.

As far as the other discounts, never heard anything about them nor have I been approached to participate.

I can vouch for the legit part; just don't know how up to date it is. I will send Paul and email to ask, and will report back once I've heard from him. Don't think he's a SB patron.

Eileen

Even if you can buy a "plan local" ticket at he Kiosk, they check for the "plan local" card before you board. IF you don't have it, you don't go. I don't know about a round trip discount but don't do it. If it is at all possible, it would probably cost you an extra hour waiting for the next boat that business has. On the other hand, some businesses will give a discount if you can convince them you are a local—condo owner, friend of a friend, etc. Many times it is worth a try…Just tell them Dave or Christi sent you! Better yet, say you are the owner of Aldora Divers as that frequently works for me. Just say "Yo soy el dueno de Aldora Divers"

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

If I remember correctly, they have to buy the round trip ticket and the discount is taken off the return.
A different deal perhaps? Did you read the linked announcement?

Even if you can buy a "plan local" ticket at he Kiosk, they check for the "plan local" card before you board. IF you don't have it, you don't go. I don't know about a round trip discount but don't do it. If it is at all possible, it would probably cost you an extra hour waiting for the next boat that business has. On the other hand, some businesses will give a discount if you can convince them you are a local—condo owner, friend of a friend, etc. Many times it is worth a try…Just tell them Dave or Christi sent you! Better yet, say you are the owner of Aldora Divers as that frequently works for me. Just say "Yo soy el dueno de Aldora Divers"

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
I'm sure my Spanish is too limited to convince anyone I'm local. Waiting for this one participating ferry company going or returning certainly can risk missing the next ferry leaving sooner, and that is a risk for the discount - certainly. The instructions to get the discount are different from the round-trip deal tho. You can read at the bottom of the page linked: Swim for the Reef

I cannot get the http://www.mexicowaterjets.com.mx/ page to open tho. I did test it on their English page México Waterjets - Fery Cozumel-Playa del Carmen, Playa del Carmen Ferry-Cozumel but could not get it to discount like the examples illustrated, so I don't know about the ferry or the others...

divephoto1-sm.jpgdivephoto2-sm.jpgdivephoto4-sm.jpg

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
A lot of businesses will give you a "discount" if you are a cruise ship passenger, but the discount is a negative number. :D

I still cannot get the .mx page for the ferry to open. Looking at the illustrated examples and trying to book on the English page, I dunno - maybe the discount is on the return ticket. The numbers don't work for me either way tho...??

This would be a nice discount for the ferry!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom