shore dive in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amitya78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My 10 yr old daughter had her first scuba experience in Cozumel last week while we were on our annual family cruise. We have her signed up to get certified in March or April. We will be able to dive locally at some freshwater lakes this summer. Right now I have an amazing opportunity to take her to Cozumel for a couple of days over Thanksgiving, just me and her. I don't know that she will be ready to do a boat dive by that time so i'm looking for good places to shore dive with a guide in Cozumel. Can anyone recommend places ?

Thanks!

There is a really good shore dive at the tikila bar by ernestos . There is a dm there named Mario Ceh rents tanks for $6. I was really surprised how good it was. Plenty if small eels,lobster and octupus. Being down here 3 weeks I haven't been able to afford to dive off a boat everday so I go there and do day and night dives.

There isI a really good shore dive at the tikila bar by ernestos . There is a dm there named Mario Ceh rents tanks for $6. I was really surprised how good it was. Plenty if small eels,lobster and octupus. Being down here 3 weeks I haven't been able to afford to dive off a boat everday so I go there and do day and night dives.

Is this the same shore dive that is near where Del Mar Aquatics pier is or was? (I am not sure if they are still around)

Have you done a shore dive at Blue Angel? Can someone compare the two? Maybe include Villa Blanca as well.

Thanks very much,

Chris

My daughters first real dive was a boat dive in Coz. She was 12 and we had no issues. I emailed the dive operator well in advance and let him know our experience level and my concerns. That dive was with Dive With Martin and our location was limited to 60 feet because of her certification level. There are lots of amazing shallow dive opportunities that are boat dives as well. You might consider chartering your own boat so you won't limit more experienced divers to a shallow dive. We did that because there were 4 of us and it was only $10 more per person to have our own boat and own DM. If not your own boat, you could get a separate DM for you and your daughter. That would be much less than a boat for 2. If you will email several of the dive ops in advance, I know they will accommodate any special needs.

our last dive in Coz was 30 to 40 feet because we were flying out the next day. And it was still a great dive for over an hour.

safe travels,
jay

I wouldn't say that a boat dive is necessarily more advanced than a shore dive. The shore dive will be in 15-25' water but many boat dives are under 60' and often you can dive the inside of the reef at 30-40'. The afternoon dives are typically at a shallow site. The advantage of the boat dive is you won't have to fight any current - you just drift with it - whereas you typically need to return to point of entry on the shore dive. Hire a personal DM either way at first.

As for shore dives, I'd recommend Blue Angel because they have a dive op on site and a DM will likely be available. Or maybe contact some dive ops, inquire about DMs, and see if you can rent one for a few days or the week and he can show you around.

Do what you're comfortable with, but I agree with others that a boat dive is not necessarily more difficult than a shore dive. My son started diving at 10 and only ever had one introductory shore dive and the "confined water" dives that were required for his certifications.

And, ugh. I lived in Galveston for over a decade. The diving in the area was so great that my wife and I quit altogether for quite a while...

Is this the same shore dive that is near where Del Mar Aquatics pier is or was? (I am not sure if they are still around)

Have you done a shore dive at Blue Angel? Can someone compare the two? Maybe include Villa Blanca as well.

Thanks very much,

Chris

I have done shore dives at Blue Angel and Villblanca, The one at Blue Angel is much better due to the life that is accumulating around the stingray pen next door. There is not much to see right at Villablanca, but there are some nice small coral heads about halfway between VB and BA; a dive I sometimes do is to get in at Villablanca and drift to Blue Angel.

Thank you everyone. Ill check out the dive ops mentioned as well as the other options presented.

Honestly, the issue with boat dives is more me. I freaked out in Maui on my first boat dive in June 2014 to the cathedrals and wasn't able to complete that dive at all. There were extenuating circumstances (i was newly certified and had only dove freshwater, DM overweighted me, too many other divers and rough choppy waters) but my husband would prefer if I not take her on a boat dive without him. (The 2nd boat dive of the maui trip went better and I was able to complete that dive.)

Have a great day yall!

There is a really good shore dive at the tikila bar by ernestos . There is a dm there named Mario Ceh rents tanks for $6. I was really surprised how good it was. Plenty if small eels,lobster and octupus. Being down here 3 weeks I haven't been able to afford to dive off a boat everday so I go there and do day and night dives.
Better yet book a dive with Mario, great instructor, and guide. He will show you some sea horses in the area, plus he takes excellent photos.

Back
Top Bottom