Boutique Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeRiley

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, looks like our honeymoon will be in coz and I need help finding a diveop. Well probably split our time between a downtown hotel and something south. I want to find a small company with personalized service catered to me. I've got some physical limitations and while I was certified in coz, I'm not comfortable on the big boats and diving in big groups. I'm comfortable paying more for the service, any ideas?

I've been very happy with Scuba with Alison and Tres Pelicanos. I felt Alison was a bit more "mama hen" really watching over her chicks, but TP offers amaxing service and also gives you good freedom.

There are so many great options out there.

We just came back from Diving with Blue Magic. We dove several times with a lady that was in her 60's and not capable of managing her equipment easily above water. They were very helpful,many others on the boat will be glad to assist. BM has Sleep and Dive packages staying at Casa Mexicana that were cheaper than anything else we found and included a Great breakfast buffet. The hotel was great and is in the middle of everything. Ask for an upper floor room. I would avoid the all inclusives simply because there is some truly great food in town. The scallops at guidos and the burritos at Burritos Gorditos are must do's. Do Guidos early in the trip...it's pretty romantic and you will probably want to eat there again.

Almost any dive op will work with you to accommodate your needs. Bluextsea is a frequent contributor to this site and deserves a look, Dive With Martin is great, and I have heard good things about Aldora as well.

some of the main differences will be size of boat and where they leave from. DWM is at the international pier and leave about 30 feet in front of their shop. blue Magic leaves from their shop on N 4th and they pay for the cab to Caletta Marina South of town. Not sure about the other two, but those answers are an email away. Some have their own pier,some will pick you up from your hotel, I would avoid cattle boats and stick with the 6 pack boats, especially if you will need some help. Some do the surface interval on the boat, others go to a beach. All of the companies I listed have small fast boats.

Cozumel is very friendly. The trips I've been on people have offered to loan others equipment if needed. I have a very difficult face to fit and another diver from California with a huge melon like mine offered to let me try his mask during the surface interval.

pick three or four dive ops and email them and ask about any special needs you may have. I will bet lunch they will all work with you and the diving will be great.

Congratulations and safe travels,
jay

Blue XT Sea is a great op with AL80s (and 100s available). For bigger steel tanks, Living Underwater is an excellent choice: you doff your gear in-water so there's no heavy tank on your back when you climb the ladder and they store all gear for you including wetsuit, making it very comfortable for someone with physical limitations.

Tres Pelicanos has great service. They help everyone with gear and usually ask divers where they want to dive. Our busiest day was 8 total divers, most days was only 4. Their boat is fast too!

I am a Scuba with Alison fan too, big, fastest boat and only one group like a small boat. However, it money is of limited concern why not charter a boat? Then it is all yours. I did that with Alison a couple times to take family out on discover scuba so we could do 2 shallow dives and we didn't cluster things for other divers.

Tres Pelicanos has great service. They help everyone with gear and usually ask divers where they want to dive. Our busiest day was 8 total divers, most days was only 4. Their boat is fast too!

When we were there in December the boats were full, and they often ran two.
I want to say we had 11 divers one day (on one boat), but the Skinny Shark has plenty of room for them all (and we had Servando and Steve, so not just one DM)

I like how the boat is big enough that everyone has tons of room.

It is very fast- but I recommend snagging a seat in the back, or even standing up. It is a bumpy ride up front, especially by the cruise ships. Literally though it broke my back one day, one bump just came in hard and -wrong-. Back of the boat- no problem at all.

I did like being able to giant stride off the Maximus when we went with Scuba with Alison though. TP you had to roll.

Last edited:
Here's another Blue~XT~Sea recommendation. Her crew is among the best on the island if not THE best. Boats are 6 pax.

Hi all, looks like our honeymoon will be in coz and I need help finding a diveop. Well probably split our time between a downtown hotel and something south. I want to find a small company with personalized service catered to me. I've got some physical limitations and while I was certified in coz, I'm not comfortable on the big boats and diving in big groups. I'm comfortable paying more for the service, any ideas?

Do you want a back roll entry or giant stride? It might make a difference on the type of boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom