El Cid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are going to Coz in May. We belong to a vacation club, such that we can get an extremely low price on a room in El Cid. However, I want to be able to frequently go into downtown and don't want to use up the money we saved on the cheap room by having to spend a lot in taxi fare. Has anyone stayed there before? Do you remember how much the taxi rides cost? If you have any other feedback about staying at El Cid, that would be welcome also.

From Casa del Mar, which should be the same zone, it was 80 pesos last year, or about $7US, one way. I've never stayed at the El Cid.

(I'd pay in pesos. The exchange rate is up right now, so it's probably more like $6.00 one way at the moment.)

I was in Coz a couple of weeks ago. At that time, our hotel (Casa del Mar) was giving 13.6 to the dollar, most of the stores downtown were giving 14 and the bank at the shopping mall across from the southern cruise dock (near El Cid) was giving 14.75 to the dollar.

I spent a week there a couple years back and found it a little isolated so I rented a car from ISIS for about $35 day. I used it to play around on the East side in the afternoon and to go into town in the evenings. It was money well spent and if I stayed down there for a week again I would want a car for at least 4 days of it. The room I had was a 'Marriot points room' in the original low rise section W/O meal plan, I liked it, as it had a kitchenette which I used for breakfast meals.
I did not know it at the time but if you want a stylin' lunch at a local institution walk south to the light and inland a couple hundred yards to the 'Blue truck' on the North side of the road. It is the local lunch wagon with good cheap food. I always use Pesos and get them from a bank ATM at Mega or Chedruai grocery stores, and get very close to the 'bank trading' rate + $30 MEX ($2 USD).
Taxi's run about $80 MEX to the 'colonial zone', I. E. the downtown zone, from EL Cid. Within the Colonial zone (airport rd to calle 17 ? to 30 Av) they run $30 MEX (2 USD) and that is for 4 persons.
DONOT walk down to the cruise port taxi que and expect to get a deal, the poor bas#$%d in the taxi just waited hours in the line to hopefully take a group around the island and actually pay his rent for the day to the taxi mafia leadership for his cab rental. The taxi's at the hotel or cruising the Malacone are usually the owner operators and will give you a fair price, if you stand your ground and imply that you know what is correct.

We have stayed at El Cid for 4 years running, this is the 1st year we are going to the Keys instead. El Cid is a 2 section hotel, with a Tower of rooms for the time share people and a 3 story side that is closer to the dive shop. The rooms on the 3 story side are ocean view....No elevators in this side. All We usually ask for 2nd floor close to the lobby so we can get good wi-fi. We like it, not a total plush place but we are here to dive. The dive shop runs 2 boats and has great dive masters. PM me if you need any other info

We stayed there in November and it was indeed $80 pesos to town.

We dove with Tres Pelicanos and they picked us up at the El Cid pier. That was the second time we did that and it works well for us. Stayed with timeshare points both times and we were put in the south tower once and the north tower the other time.

Spent a week at El Cid in Dec.... nice hotel, 80 peso's taxi to centro. I dive with Tres Pelicanos as well... just let em know and they will pick you up right at the dive pier. And they don't even CHARGE you to do it! Can't say enough good things about that Dive Op.
The El Cid was clean, no issues, and I'd use em again... they have GREAT Apple Strudel!

BUbs

Spent a week at El Cid in Dec.... nice hotel, 80 peso's taxi to centro. I dive with Tres Pelicanos as well... just let em know and they will pick you up right at the dive pier. And they don't even CHARGE you to do it! Can't say enough good things about that Dive Op.
The El Cid was clean, no issues, and I'd use em again... they have GREAT Apple Strudel!

BUbs

Why would a dive op charge to pick you up at your hotel?

We have stayed at El Cid 2x year for the last 5 yrs. Not super fancy but comfortable. Taxi's are $8 one way to downtown. The rooms have kitchenette's so we stock up on groceries from Mega. There are plenty of lunch sites within walking distance and head to town at night (after the cruise sheeple leave). Usually rent a car ($25 - $35 / day) and we are crazy enough to rent scooters (I guess we like to live dangerously!). A scooter trip heading south to get to the east side is just a kick.

The on-site dive shop (Babieca) is fantastic IMO. DM Luis is excellent albeit very conservative until he has a chance to determine your dive skill abilities. The manager Carlos will go out of his way to accommodate divers. They have small boats (8 -10 divers) that are fast so the trip south is relatively quick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom