Summertime in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue73

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

We have been going to Cozumel for 4 years, and up until now, everytime we went was in November or March. So I am familiar with the good and bad during those seasons.

This year we are going in mid-August. What should we expect? I know it's going to be crazy hot, but we live in Houston, and are used to the high humidity and heat. Will Coz be worse than Houston in August? Will there be a breeze off the ocean? Will we be able to eat dinner (outdoors, indoors) without sweating buckets?

We always book 8am dive trips, so I'm not too worried about that. And we will pack plenty of sunscreen.

Any other tips or advice are very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Blue73

Did July last year, august the year before. Middle of the day sucks. Cross the street to the shady side. Nights are ok. Hit tulum in the afternoon. my sweat was sweating.

We've been there in July once as well. I wouldn't hesitate to go again, and we don't have humidity here in the Pacific Northwest. It was a bit tough for us; we were in a 3rd floor condo on the mainland, and by the time we walked down the stairs, we were soaked. The place where we stayed, had a beautiful big pool, which really took the edge off. As long as I had a pretty good size pool, I wouldn't give it 2 seconds of thought.

I like to go in August to cool off in Coz as it's much cooler than in Lubbock, and certainly much cooler than the reclaimed inland swamp known as Houston. Bonus: They have wind in Coz.

Inland ruins like Coba are very hot in August, did those a couple of August trips, but the honest experiences of those trips were the long layovers in Dallas-Ft.Worth and Houston when I went outside.

It is hurricane season, but hits are rare. Just take trip insurance and deal with it, or eat the penalties, if canceling seems prudent. I cancelled packages twice last year and the penalties weren't severe, but then I did have trip insurance and it paid both times. Hmm, airlines & hotels waive penalties if one is expected as they don't want to deal with you there anyway, so just accept any warnings you see. I went once expecting a Cat-5 to veer off, as if I knew more about predicting hurricanes than NHC, then left a few days later before the planes were full. I should have cancelled that one. It did veer south just the day before expected, but the boats were all in storage and building boarded when I left.

Don't use the sun screen before diving unless it's bio-friendly as it's bad for the coral, but do spray with Deet often. I've never acquired a tropical disease when I didn't, but many have.

Have fun. :pilot:

Speaking as a long-time Galveston resident, I really don't think it'll be too different from Houston. At most a few degrees warmer and a percentage point or two more humid.

It is hurricane season, but hits are rare. Just take trip insurance and deal with it.

Good advice. I learned from shopping, that not all trip insurance policies are created equal regarding hurricane coverage (or any other coverage for that matter). Some policies though, were just plain crappy in my opinion.

I've been going to Coz winter, summer and fall for a number of years. In the summer, expect thinner crowds, but more humidity and heat and probably a good afternoon thunderstorm - looks pretty cool coming over the water. Bring an umbrella. The dives are still awesome, but have experienced some occasional strong current reversals even on the deeper dives, e.g. Columbia and Punta Sur.

I've always went in August...for the cheaper flights and hotel. Yeah, it's hot and humid but I was always just fine. Just don't go for a two mile run at 2:00 in the afternoon. There's a reason the shops used to close down in the afternoon for siesta.

I guess a comparison would be the first time my step-daughter went with us. When we stepped off the airport shuttle at DFW onto the concrete parking lot where our car was, she said "Damn, it was cooler in Coz."

I spent a summer in the College Station humidity, so you being from Houston you should be fine...don't sweat it. :D

I would recommend staying at a place that has an outdoor area with shade.

A palapa near the water will be your friend. I'm generally wet all day long. If you get hot, jump in the water get back under the palapa and watch the boats go by. = Perfect! Taking a nap in the hottest part of the day is also an option that I like. Perhaps a massage?
There will be less people there and I've found that the local merchants really appreciate your business during the low season. I really like that. There will be little cruise ship traffic in summer. They want your business to put food on the table for their families. I tend to tip more in summer knowing that...
The water will be wonderfully warm. If doing four dives a day that will help keep your core temps up. I love watching the afternoon storms roll in from the mainland. Some can be quite spectacular. I try not to be in town in the late afternoon because its hot and there can be heavy down pours. They are usually brief but can be heavy making for some rather large puddles to navigate while walking. Be aware that a passing car may hit that large puddle making you even wetter than you were before.
About 3-4 four years ago Hurricane Richard was forecast to hit the island. Continental (I really miss that airline) offered free changes so we just altered our dates by a week later then originally planned. Dive shop wasn't busy so it was low stress. Airlines will not fly their planes into a hurricane so it is their best interest to allow those changes to avoid such a condition. Its a big ocean. I check stormcarib.com to see if there is anything brewing. They have great links and post the latest NOAA forecast. If your worried do like Dandy and get insurance.
Last year I was there in July with eight of my family and had a wonderful bonding experience with my nieces, swimming and snorkeling... The oldest did a discover scuba class. Unforgettable smile on her face after that dive.:D:D:D She wants to get certified now!

I also went in September on the annual guy trip with my old pilot buddy Fred. That is always an experience to remember. I forgot my BC while packing. Doh!!! Four dives a day a couple of days with 6+ hours of bottom time on those days. I got to dive and hunt with Sallye. I got my biggest Lion Fish ever! Best of times. Makes me happy just thinking about it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom