12 days in late July in Cozumel with 2 kids, 14 & 16, - which resort to select?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Siljesyl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Help needed to cut through glossy descriptions! The plan is to go to Cozumel in late July and stay for 12 days. Vacationing with 2 diving kids, 14 and 16, we are looking for a resort that also supports a lot of other activities. Activities like tennis, sailing, windsurfing, kayaking and so on. A beach, pool and Gym on site is also welcomed. And ideally an on-site dive operation to simplify logistics. With all these wishes i guess an all-inclusive with a dive package is the cheapest. So what resort in Cozumel is the best in terms of good diving and supporting an active vacation?
Probably looking for some top of the line resort.

How important is food & do you intend to leave the resort often? The southern resorts are an expensive cab ride to town but have a beach. Resorts on the north end make for more difficult & longer trips to the dive sites, while the few that are considered in town don't have real beaches. I have photo tours of several popular resorts here that may help.

Picasa Web Albums - Larry

Many claim to have non motorized water sports but not many actually have much in that list you've made. Iberostar & Grand seem to have more than I remember seeing at any other resort I've visited or stayed at & of the 2 Iberostar has more activities for the kids.

I haven't stayed at any resorts there that have the activities you listed but they exist. Scuba Club Cozumel may be one you want to check out though. While they don't have a sand beach you can shore dive there. They also have pool and are close enough to town that you could probably find the activities you want nearby. They offer all inclusive with diving, food, etc. Or you could split your stay at two places. Stay down south at one of the nicer ones with a beach then come to town and enjoy the good food and folks. I don't think I could stay 12 days way to the south eating resort food. I have to have my El Billy and El Pique fixes while I am there. Also if your staying that long you may want to consider renting a car. The drive around the other side of the island is worth the time.

I'd spend 2 or 3 days on the mainland. Great ruins close by.

The Explorean (pricey) sounds most like what your want. Occidental Grand and Iberrostar have real beaches, but are a $20 one way cab ride to town. Park Royal is closer to town. Any valet dive op will pick you up (except Iberrostar) and keep your gear.

The presidente would give you most of what you need. It's a great place, but the food is pricey and you will to go to town to eat.

Forget about needing all inclusive to include diving. There are too many dive ops to limit yourself with that requirement.

The iberostar, the occidental grand or the presidente would be the best choices. I rent a car at the airport for the trip. Cars are $9.00 a day from budget. I take their liability insurance and use my credit card for CDW. A week costs about $165.00. You will spend more on van transfers for four and one trip to town.

Cars are $9.00 a day from budget. I take their liability insurance and use my credit card for CDW.
Have you read about what happens to people who do that, then have an accident? :eek:

The presidente would give you most of what you need. It's a great place, but the food is pricey and you will to go to town to eat.

We've stayed at the Presidente multiple times. We rent a car. Not cheap but quite nice, not an AI (yuck). Great snorkeling, multiple pools, multiple beaches. Excellent brunch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom