Waste generated by the cruise ships.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverokc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Watch a Cruise Ship Pollute as Much as 13 Million Cars

I saw this link earlier and found the video interesting. I am in the environmental field and always knew about the waste generated by the cruise ships. They didn't even mention the trash they can also dump in international waters. I remember diving in key west and there was a sign on the boat saying no dumping of oil within so many feet of shore. Its crazy to me the stuff that is allowed.
Unfortunately Cozumel has to have the cruise ships to survive.

Not to mention the gray water that's discharged while in port. There's been a steady decline in marine life north of the International Pier(s) due to this practice. Thank god they are required to hold the brown water until they get out to international waters.

My last couple trips I have noticed the redish brown slimy algae in some spots. This could easily be caused by nutrient runoff. I see the locals in the early mornings washing the sidewalks with soap and bleach. This all runs off when it rains. I'm in storm water quality and we see it a lot here.

I hope not too far off topic, I vividly remember the trash line we saw while diving in Roatan all credit given to the cruise ships... Very sad to say the least.....

I hate cruise ships. I know, many Coz residents depend on them, but those people wouldn't be on Coz if it weren't for the ships - so that's another reason to hate the cruise boats: overcrowding.
I hope not too far off topic, I vividly remember the trash line we saw while diving in Roatan all credit given to the cruise ships... Very sad to say the least.....
However, I think that Honduras sends plenty of trash to sea even aside from the boat. I think the boats are a small part of that.

I follow this guy on FB. Enlightening: Cruise Law News | Facebook

I hate cruise ships. I know, many Coz residents depend on them, but those people wouldn't be on Coz if it weren't for the ships - so that's another reason to hate the cruise boats: overcrowding.

However, I think that Honduras sends plenty of trash to sea even aside from the boat. I think the boats are a small part of that.

I follow this guy on FB. Enlightening: Cruise Law News | Facebook

I was diving in Utila, a couple of years ago. It had been dry. The rains had come. For a couple of days there was an amazing amount of trash in the water ... Bits of paper and plastic. I was told that people on the mainland throw their trash on the river beds and when a good rain comes, it all goes out to sea. One shore dive I did, I remember as the 'dumpster' dive. Pollution comes from ships, land based raw sewage, land based nutrients from septic tanks, trash, just all sorts of sources.

They dump trash when in port as well.......haven't you seen the Pod People in town? :)

They dump trash when in port as well.......haven't you seen the Pod People in town? :)

A noun, verb and adjective all nicely encased in one five letter word.

I dont give the 3rd world countries a total pass, but they dont know any better and dont have many options. That being said the multi billion dollar cruiseship industry and the other companies making alot of money should be held accountable somehow.

I would love to do a little environmental education when i move to cozumel. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom