How many dives to plan for in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Asteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Help, I am trying to plan my next trip to Cozumel and trying to figure out how many dives to plan for ( Yes, I know we all should have this problem ). Last trip I did 5 days of diving for 21 dives, I wanted more. Trying to figure if 10 days would do it or 15 days. I would take a day off after each 5 days.

What do you think? or 15 days at 4 dives a day not enough. :)

4 dives a day for 5 days is a lot for Cozumel or any land based diving destination w/o shore diving. Where did you stay and who did you dive with on your last trip ?

I don't know, last few trips I have scaled back to a 4 x 2 x 4 x ....... this schedule is about all I can handle on trips of 4+ dive days in length, on my Oceanic VEO 2.0 in DSAT. On this schedule I put in about 5 hours of bottom time on the 4x days and can't do time and depth W/O EAN. If I run 4 x past about three days then I push the O2 limits on my computer and it gets pisxed off at me, well at least on my old VEO 2.0 did, Oceanic swapped it out today with a 3.0, so perhaps in a couple weeks I can see if it is more forgiving as to O2 limits.

Last edited:
I hope you use a lot of Nitrox on a majority of those dives.......if you are diving 4 times a day in Coz (lots of yo yo'ing) and pushing your O2 sat %.... :)

Also get DAN - that many dives - you could always get an "undeserved hit" at any time.

I was staying and diving at/with Blue Angel. They do 2 morning dive and 2 afternoon dives. You can do just 2 a day or all 4. I was diving air and following a dive computer.

2 dives a day, no problem. 4....worth it to use EAN on air tables for that extra safety margin.....just my personal opinion. :) But as many people as I have seen/heard and read (here) who have taken hits.....better safe than sorry IMHO. Added bonus is you dont get so tired/narcd feeling lol. :)

I am a recent victim of an undeserved (skin bend) hit during my last trip to Coz.

I was a 4 dive a day guy on all my previous trips and sometimes we'd do a shore dive at the BA after doing the morning and afternoon boats. During a week in Bonaire we managed 24 hours of bottom time in 6 diving days (EAN the whole time). I was all about the count and would routinely run the veo 2.0 right up to (BUT NEVER OVER) the limits on a daily basis.

That said, after my visit to the DAN clinic, then to the ER for oxygen, a possibility of a ride in the chamber, and the loss of all of my diving for the trip (I was grounded after the first full day), I'm going to back off my gorilla diving mentality. I'll be sticking with the morning boats, only do 4 dives a couple of the days and will ALWAYS use EAN if possible.

Trust me, you don't want to be this guy......

IMG_5053 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Asteve,

I did 36 dives over 9 days @ Blue Angel last year using 100cf nitrox tanks, including a 6 dive day (2 tanks morning, 2 tanks afternoon, 2 tanks twilight/night) using a Oceanic Geo 2 computer. Didn't come close to the limits. However, I made sure to do a long, gradual ascent on each dive and as long of a safety stop as my air would allow.

Keith

When do you have time to eat with 4 dives a day? Cozumel has so many awesome places to eat it is already tough to fit them all in...

Would some time in that new oxygen aquarium help counteract the nitrogen loading? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom