How Diving Coz is bringing me back to life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waynel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey ya'll. Been a year since I've been on the board. I'm posting this, not to get anyone down, but to show what scuba diving can do for a hurting soul, especially in a dive paradise like Cozumel (how lucky we Americans are that it's so close).

Last year, on May 29, 2014, as I walked out the door four days before my beloved wife (and dive buddy for eight years) and I were to get on a plane to Coz, as we have done many years before...stopped me and said "Four days to paradise!" Last words I ever heard from her. She was a teacher and that day was the last day of school with her kids...not for the year, but forever. She was retiring after 29 years. All she could talk about was how many more dive trips we could take each year after she retired.

I'm a building contractor. I get a call at 11am at the jobsite and I'm told she is in the hosptial. She collapsed in her classroom and passed away after getting to the hospital. Again, forgive me...I'm getting to my point.

After a year of grief counseling, selling the house, downsizing and rebuilding my life...I am flying to Coz, solo, on May 28th to take the trip we never got to take. It took me three days to hit the "book it" button, but someone told me..."The best thing you can do is go down there and dive for the both of you. Wayne, she would demand it of you." And it hit me...what really made us both feel alive, the thing we shared that the vast majority of people never do, was being in gin clear water 100 ft down on Punta Sur and gliding through another world.

Again, this is not a tale of woe...it's a tale of feeling alive again. It's what diving, just the anticipation of diving in a wonderful place like Cozumel can do for the wounded heart. It's what people who never dive and shudder at just the thought of it don't understand...it's the real chicken soup for the soul. Cherish every dive my brothers and sisters. We all share something that most people don't ever experience and don't know how much it means to us.

P.S. when you're diver down, pull your reg and blow a water kiss to Lisa. She'll see it. If you get to choose your heaven, that's where she'll be.

I hear you loud & clear. I've outlived the family tree, tell the other divers on the boat if I don't make it through the dive "don't let it ruin your day" because I'd have gone in a way I enjoyed. Better yet I've started what I call my "pre estate sale" of the many things I've collected over the years but won't need in the future as I wind down my business activities & I intend to spend the money raised on travel.

Amen my moderator. I was worried my post was too much of a downer and would be jerked off the board. Not looking for pity, just wanted to let everyone know that diving is so much more than just a hobby for many of us. Thanks for your kind words.

---------- Post added May 24th, 2015 at 04:53 PM ----------

I hear you loud & clear. I've outlived the family tree, tell the other divers on the boat if I don't make it through the dive "don't let it ruin your day" because I'd have gone in a way I enjoyed. Better yet I've started what I call my "pre estate sale" of the many things I've collected over the years but won't need in the future as I wind down my business activities & I intend to spend the money raised on travel.

I'm doing the exact same thing. I'm 59 years old, kids are gone, through college, etc. Sold the big house and I'm looking to play as much as I can before I hit 75-80 years old and can't do it. Bottom line, if I stayed in that big house, there would come a day when I would lose it anyway because I wouldn't be able to take care of it or myself. I have broken out of "the herd." No more lemmings to the sea for me. My wife's passing convinced me of how short this can all be.

Great story, and great advice! Sorry about your loss, waynel, but it sounds like you are doing great.

I get it Waynel. Sorry for your loss, but happy for your recovery. My wife dives with me and I feel that I'm "livin' the dream" and I don't want to take any of it for granted. You have to take time to smell the roses while you can still bend over to givem' a sniff. :) We're planning on diving our a$$es off for the next few years while we can. I can't think of anything better. Be safe and enjoy Coz. See ya on the reef.

Sorry for your loss. Will blow a kiss to her in 2 weeks!

Thank you for sharing. God's peace to you on your journey and safe bubbles.

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. After more dives than I can remember, I am looking forward to this trip likes it's the first one. Be safe everyone.

Kiss is on the way by 8:30 am tomorrow. Another on the second dive. Sorry about your loss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom