Current taxi fares?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waynel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey ya'll, I'm leaving for Coz in the morning. Usually take one trip a year to Coz, didn't make it last summer so it's been two years. I use cabs a lot. Anyone know approx. what the fare is from the international cruise ship zone (El Cid hotel) to town? Breaking down my travel money today. Thanks in advance.

In December, it was 80 Pesos for 1-4 passengers from Casa Del Mar to Centro. I do not believe that there has been any change, and should be exactly the same from El Cid or Park Royal. There may (will?) be a surcharge if you take a taxi from the queue waiting for passengers at the International Pier, but since you'll be diving in the mornings, that shouldn't be an issue. Taxis were STILL quoting a 10-1 exchange rate (80 Pesos or $8.00) in December. Now, with an exchange rate of 15.00 Pesos per Dollar at the Banks, 80 Pesos only cost you $5.33, so exchange your dollars and ONLY pay taxis in Pesos.

BTW, be aware that the El Centro zone only goes back to Ave 35 (I think); if you are going to taxi to some of the Restaurants or other places farther back from Melgar, like Casa Mission, El Moro, etc., the fare will be higher - maybe 100 Pesos, if I recall.

Thanks ya'll. That's about what I expected. Just sorting my cash for taxis, tips for maids, etc. And yes, absolutely pay taxi fares in pesos (although I tip with US dollars). I have a divider in my billfold and seperate pesos and dollars. Exchange rate this morning was 15.43, but again everyone thanks for the heads up. This is what I love about this board. Been to Coz sooo many times...but I always get excited the night before a trip, just like the first trip I ever made there. Love that place.

Just returned yesterday and yes, taxis are still quoting 10 to 1 exchange rate. I only paid in pesos for everything all week until I ran out of them on the last full day and did not want to come home with any, so I paid with USD for the small costs I had planned for the remainder of the trip. However, I asked beforehand what the fare was in pesos (at this point I already knew really) and then asked if they would take me to wherever for xxx USD. They always said yes, because I did some quick math using 15 to 1, and then rounded up a dollar or two depending on the length of the trip. In reality I was getting about 13 to 1 which seemed like a win-win considering the small number.

I highly recommend paying everything in pesos right now because almost nowhere are you getting better than about 13 to 1 (12 to 1 is pretty common) except for Mega which was giving 15.1 to 1 and better last week depending on the day, and Blue Angel was 15:1.

One more thing I liked was that I tipped the DMs in pesos this time and was able to give them a decent amount more at pretty much the same cost to me as recent years. Enjoy your trip. I'm home washing gear today.:D

Piggy backing on this thread:
Can anyone tell me, in Pesos, what the current taxi fare is from Puerto Maya to Caleta as well as Puerto Maya to Money Bar?
The signs at the port are all in dollars, and I'm not sure what to expect going back to pesos. Is there also a fee for getting a taxi that was waiting at the pier?

We have pesos from our last trip, and I'm hoping with the peso being 15:1 now it is a way better deal than using dollars (although we'll lose money since we bought them 13:1!)

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom