Cozumel trip report June 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColoDale

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Cozumel June 2015 trip report

I dove Cozumel in late June after being in Akumal for a wedding and got in 4 dives in Akumal. I wrote a report in the Mexico forum. Normally we use American Airlines via Dallas but since we were going to Akumal we used United Airlines but direct from Denver to Cancun. We left Cozumel on United to Houston then Denver. We are so glad we signed up for Global Entry. When we got to Immigration in Houston, it was a zoo. The Global Entry kiosks were right in front and after a few minutes we were in baggage claim waiting for our bags. We discovered there was a line in Customs for Global Entry as well. Customs had winding lines of people with bags. We later talked to people on our flight that did not have Global Entry and they said it took 2.5 hours to get all the way through. Dallas is a cakewalk compared to Houston but it could have been the time of year.

We traveled to Playa Del Carmen from Akumal and took the ferry across on Mexico Waterjet. It had an outside upstairs area which was good for the heat. The water was calm. Playa del Carmen is huge now. I had not seen it for 12-15 years.
The main square in San Miguel Cozumel seems to be complete. We went into town only one night to eat at Guidos with Raul (dive op owner and DM), his wife and spoiled granddaughter.

I dived 7 days in days in Cozumel with Cozumel Scuba Diving | Go diving in Cozumel with BottomTimeDivers dive operator. We normally don’t dive in late June or summer – Usually in the winter or spring. I expected an empty boat but it was almost full or full every day. Good for Raul. It was supposed to be slow season. The hotel was at 90-95% occupancy. A lot of boats going out everyday. On the boat we met some people we had not dived with before and some we had.

The weather was hot and humid but less than Akumal. It had rained quite a bit before we got there so the mosquitoes were thick but we brought repellent. Fewer sand fleas. We were awakened a couple of nights to massive lightning storms.

The currents were slow and sometimes non-existent on many sites though we did get faster currents the farther North we went. Had to fin many times. Many times we got in the boat and we were asked where we want to go and the answer was wherever no other boats are. We dove the Palancars a lot, other sites were La Francesa, Dalila, Cedral Pass, Cedral Wall, San Francisco, Santa Rosa, Santa Frisco (which is a combo of the previous two), some sand flats looking for small stuff.
The water was generally flat, slow currents, decent vis – better than Akumal, but a lot of divers in the water. Water temps were consistently around 82-83 F. I noticed fewer drums and toadfish but more lobsters and crabs.

I only used my macro lens one day but did take advantage of the Olympus 12-50 mm with pseudo macro ability. Somehow I got a macro shot (macro lens) of a trumpetfish (below) – he did not move away.
For some reason, I had white balance problems the whole week. Not sure why. I found several bad rechargeable batteries and managed to get my camera back together some nights in the bad hotel fluorescent lights with no issues.

One highlight of the dives was finding a batfish. I had not seen one before. I include some photos. We went back another day to find it again but it wasn’t there.

Photos

Coz_June_2015_Yellow_Stingray_001c.jpg

Coz_June_2015_Trumpetfish_001c.jpg

Coz_June_2015_Spotted_Drum_003c.jpg

Coz_June_2015_Spotted_Drum_002c.jpg

Coz_June_2015_Seascape_002c.jpg

Coz_June_2015_Seascape_001c.jpg

Coz_June_2015_Red_Strip_Hermit_crab_001c.jpg

Coz_June_2015_Nurse_Shark_Green_Moray_Eel_001c.jpg

Coz_June_2015_Loggerhead_Turtle_001c.jpg

Coz_June_2015_Juvenile_Queen_Angelfish_001c.jpg

Coz_June_2015_Juvenile_French_Angelfish_001c.jpg

Coz_June_2015_Hawksbill_Turtle_003c.jpg

Coz_June_2015_Hawksbill_Turtle_002c.jpg

Coz_June_2015_Hawksbill_Turtle_001c.jpg

Coz_June_2015_Green_Moray_Eel_001c.jpg

Coz_June_2015_Golden_Eel_001c.jpg

Coz_June_2015_French_Angelfish001c.jpg

Coz_June_2015_Bicolor_Coney_001c.jpg

Coz_June_2015_Batfish_004c.jpg

Coz_June_2015_Batfish_001c.jpg

Coz_June_2015_Banded_Butterflyfish_001c.jpg

thanks for taking time to post and share your pix too. continued safe bubbles to you.

Thanks for the kudos and comments. I feel lucky we found the Batfish (acually Raul had a good idea where it was).

Thanks for the kudos and comments. I feel lucky we found the Batfish (acually Raul had a good idea where it was).

I think I have only ever found one. It was couple years ago on a cantarell eagle ray dive. He was in a grass area as we were working our way shallow towards buccanos.

I was going to go back an look at my pics, but I think yours are better and that would just depress me.... You have a lot of nice shots there.

Looks like it was designed by committee?

Yes a strange looking fish with no defenses I can see other than camouflage and ugly. The tiny colored front legs are a mystery to me. Looked in general like a processed de-feathered chicken trying to crawl off the table.

Thanks for posting a nice report and love the pix! I'm partial to the shark and eel pals. Re your comment on lots of divers... I wonder if more people are getting hip to visiting in the summer months because of the warm sea water - I describe it as swimming in silk. No getting chilled on the 2nd dive, no freezing on the boat ride back and, for those of us who stay in budget accommodations, not caring if there is hot water for the shower or not.
:)

Could be the warmer water. Kids are out of school. At least in Colorado we had 5-6 weeks of rain so many of us were looking to get out of Dodge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom