Trip report 28 Jan-25 Feb 04 (Long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
DIVING: Much has been said Re: Cozumel diving so I will just give the highlights. We dove Santa Rosa wall and shallows, Chankanaab reef, Barracuda (no current!) and San Juan reefs, the C-53, (go to http://www.recdivers.com/nuke/modul...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php for a pic) Tormentos, night dive at Cedral pass, between Cedral pass and (?) (met Wetjed) Palancar Gardens, Delilah, Palancar wall, Palancar Horseshoe and the top of San Francisco wall as a second dive. 17 dives in all. The best dive was at the Horseshoe, from down low, we watched an eagle ray feeding on top of some sand for a full five minutes at ~50 feet away. Such graceful creatures. Only saw one shark but it was at least six feet long at Barracuda. Near Cedral Pass saw a 4-5 ft green moray out free swimming during the day. Used Dive With Martin. dwm@cozumel.com We had good service on every dive as we have for the last three years. Always on time except for one day when I was waiting at the Reef Club pier and it was late when I saw “our” boat coming. They stopped to tell us that they had had boat trouble and our boat was coming in a couple of minutes. It did. I thought it was very good of them to stop and let us know what was going on instead of just letting us wait. I have never been disappointed using DWM. They offer the most bang for the buck. I tried a new operator also. Pelagic Ventures run by Troy Ruhr. He has fast boats also and his goal is good safe diving but let’s have some fun doing it. He is at FishBoy@prodigy.net.mx I think his schedule is quite flexible.

CASA: For two weeks we stayed at Baldwin's B&B on 55th Ave. Dale and Kathy make you feel right at home. The place is spotless. They have a nice outside dining area for a real good breakfast served on your schedule. Fresh fruit, yogurt, coffee, something from the oven and eggs fixed in many different ways. Swimming pool, scuba rinse tank, and a place to hang your gear are all there. They are also very helpful, giving us a map and marking places for food and telling you when they are open, $ exchange, and answering any other questions. It really gets you off to a good start. I would highly recommend this place. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._s_Guest_House-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

The next two weeks were spent at the Reef Club, an all inclusive in the south hotel zone. We have been going there for the last five years and have enjoyed it. However things have changed. The property is about the same but the food situation is not. I noticed less choices and lower quality of food especially meats. The chicken was usually a good choice but pork was scarce, as was the beef. The fish was OK. I saw a lot of chorizo and hot dogs. That was a first. Absent were various cheeses, roast duck, lamb and tender beef. The deserts always look better than they taste but then that’s Mexico. The fruit juices were all (except orange) more artificial than real and the selection never changed. Another major problem was cold food. I have no idea how long it was out or where it was before it went on the serving line but it was near room temperature. Baked potatoes should at least melt butter. Oh well so it was margarine in those little packs but it was a contest to see if anyone could open them. The specialty restaurants fared better. The food was good quality but again not always as hot as it should be. Try room temperature fried squid as an appetizer sometime. The snack bar cooks (2) could not seem to be able to get Hamburgs and French fries ready at the same time. This caused long waits for one or the other.
http://www.reefclubcozumel.com/

COMEDA: San Miguel: Boy what a place for good food. Too many restaurants and not enough time. I may have some spelling errors but it will be close. Lachoza on Rosado Salas & 10 ave. Good dinners. Public market on Rosado Salas side between 20 & 25 Ave North, the place with the fake red tile roof nearest the sidewalk, good for lunch. Chilangos on 30th Ave. between Calle 3 & 5 South. San Carlos pescaderia. Fish caught today will be served tomorrow. Great for lunch, close at ~3PM. 50th Ave. between Calle 3 South and Rosado Salas. La Toqueria, 30th Ave. between Juarez and Calle 2 North. Good for evenings, open at 6:30 or so. La Mission, 30th Ave. between Calle 2 and 4 North. Good for dinner or lunch. Not to be confused with two other La Misions. One nearer the water front, don’t know anything about it, and one that has lions, high prices and poor food on Calle 55 South near Juarez and Calle 1 South. Sabory ( Spanish for “flavors”) is on 5th Ave. between Calle 3 & 5, on the side toward the water. It is a yellow house with just a small sign. Just go right in, through the living room and kitchen then be seated in the back yard. What a pleasant surprise. You would never guess that you were only one or two blocks from the tourist traps. The menu changes every day but it is all good. Did this one twice. I’ll stop here.

Thanks for the Sabory reccommendation. I'll try and find it next week.

Alright Tim, no need to rub it in! Have a great time man and we'll be looking forward to your as always detailed report. Renting a casa again this year?

Nope, staying at El Presidente. Wife wanted to try a resort this year. What do I care as long as I get to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom